Jo's success story

Not a particularly sweet tooth, I think it's just to do with the sugar high which I want to have again and again. I'm better off avoiding the sugar if I can as if I have a day without any I don't want any.

How you getting on?

Not a particularly sweet tooth, I think it's just to do with the sugar high which I want to have again and again. I'm better off avoiding the sugar if I can as if I have a day without any I don't want any. How you getting on?

I'm doing great thanks. After a wee planned break last week I am back with a vengeance. Since Monday I have been 100% SS and back to real basics of shakes only with no bars or spag Bol so that I get back into ketosis. Smelly breath is back and freezing all the time. So I think I can safely say I am back in ketosis, which is great.

I had put on 2lbs last week. On my own scales that is gone now. I am hoping I can shift a few more before my weigh in in Saturday. But weigh in is a day earlier this week. So not sure how much more is achievable. If I can lose 3 more (5 in total) I will reach 4 stone this week. Can't believe I am at that loss .... Almost! Seems unreal!!

So, weighed in Saturday after a week of 'maintenance' and was up two lbs from my final Cambridge weight but my measurements are the same so I'm guessing that's water weight.

Did my planned 4 gym sessions for the week and 3 arm workouts and this week I'm stepping up my exercise - gym 4 times for cardio plus 3 days of arms/abs dvd and 3 days of legs/bum dvd. Also doing the 30 day plank challenge still and a 30 day arm challenge too as my arms need some serious toning.

Did my weekly fast day today to get it out of the way which I'm pleased with but have a feeling I'll struggle a bit with the gym tomorrow as I did last week after a fast day.

Feeling pleased that I think my maintenance plan is a good one but also feeling a bit overwhelmed that I might need to keep up this discipline for the rest of my life! While it makes me miserable, bingeing and fasting definitely takes a lot less thought! Still, hopefully after a while this'll all become habit and as 'normal' as the bingeing was.

I'm feeling a bit flat today but hope that's just the fast, and that I'll feel better tomorrow after getting my second gym session of the week done. I'll talk about how I'm feeling with my counsellor too to try and work through it. Will report back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Still a bit flat this morning. Did my gym session so feel good for that (though it was very hard work!) but still not feeling as positive as I should be.

I think some of it is to do with setting myself the goal of exercising every single day (including the toning dvd). While it's only 20 mins a day I'm wondering if I'm overwhelming myself with it and if I should do 4 toning sessions a week instead of 6 to give my body a rest. I'm pushing harder at the gym (which I'm happy with) and I don't want to burn out. Hmm. Something to think about.

Still a bit flat this morning. Did my gym session so feel good for that (though it was very hard work!) but still not feeling as positive as I should be. I think some of it is to do with setting myself the goal of exercising every single day (including the toning dvd). While it's only 20 mins a day I'm wondering if I'm overwhelming myself with it and if I should do 4 toning sessions a week instead of 6 to give my body a rest. I'm pushing harder at the gym (which I'm happy with) and I don't want to burn out. Hmm. Something to think about. Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Jo. You are doing so well. It might be the exercise regime making you feel down but it also might be just the change to maintenance. I find change and uncertainty can make you unsettled and you can't quite put your finger on why!!

Jo. You are doing so well. It might be the exercise regime making you feel down but it also might be just the change to maintenance. I find change and uncertainty can make you unsettled and you can't quite put your finger on why!!

Thanks :) I think you're right, I don't deal with change very well at the best of times! Feel a bit better now I've had some lunch too. Think the fast day after an indulgent weekend plays havoc with my hormones!

Hope you're doing well.

That's amazing! You must look and feel so different. Have you got long to go?

That's amazing! You must look and feel so different. Have you got long to go? Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I'm not sure. I don't have my heart set on a specific number. Another stone for sure and then perhaps further half a stone. Will just see how i feel when I get there.

Weighed yesterday for my 2 week maintenance results and up half a lb but still the same measurements and body fat so must still be water. Given that I've probably been having food with too many carbs/ too much salt that's not unexpected. I've also done a lot of research into the effect a new exercise program can have on the body and water retention seems to be a main effect.

Still, as I'm now 2.75 lb above my Cambridge weight (even though my body fat and measurements are the same) I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go up anymore as I don't want to delude myself it's water retention if it's actually fat.

I am a happy bunny though, first time in the last few years I've maintained the same body measurements (if not weight) for more than about 2 days!! Going to keep tracking for another 4 weeks (not sure why but I like 6 week periods!) and if my weight increases any more I'll rethink my cals even if my measurements have stayed the same.

This maintenance thing definitely isn't easy but trying to take a day at a time and not get too paranoid about natural fluctuations as I was up a further 2 lbs Friday and got super miserable but that was gone for Saturday weigh in. It might be sensible to consider weekly weighing once I'm feeling more confident with the maintenance.

Going to enjoy my rest day today then back to the gym tomorrow morning and my toning in the evening.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi diary!

Third maintenance weigh in yesterday and I was up another 2lbs from last week. I had a pizza the night before and my measurements are the same so I don't think it's weight gain but as I'm now at 12st 5 and said that's my limit for making a diet change I'm going to try 5:2 for the next 3 weeks.

I'd like to lose a little more weight anyway as I'm doing a fair bit of exercise (4 cardio gym sessions a week plus 6x 20 minute toning for arms/abs and legs/butt plus arms/easy squat and plank challenge) but it's not really showing on my body even though I can feel the muscle change because of the layer of fat covering it. Also, even if it is water weight (which rationally, I do know it is) 5:2 should also help my body get rid of that.

My aim for the next 3 weeks is losing 4lbs: 2 water lbs and 2 lbs of weight which will bring me back down to 12st 1. 6 weeks after that I've got my brother in laws wedding and I'd like to lose a further 3/4 lbs for that. Half a lb goal each week obv doesn't sound like much but I think it's one that's definitely achievable so I won't be disappointed and give up. Plus, as I'm not used to 'normal' dieting anymore I have no idea how much weight my body will lose naturally. Once I get there I'll reassess and decide whether I want to keep losing more.

Feeling positive about the plan and glad I'm keeping my promise to myself to make a change if I felt my weight was becoming a concern.

Just as well I'd made that commitment as I weighed this morning after another takeaway last night (don't judge me!) and I was 12 7- 175.8lbs to be exact.

I'm really not convinced all the gain the last few weeks is water weight. While my measurements (waist/hip/thighs) have stayed the same I reckon the weight is creeping back on elsewhere.

So I'm def committing to 5:2 this week. Exercise carrying on as planned. Want to be 169lbs in 3 weeks on 25th April (as the 4lbs over the last 2 days will be water for def but the rest may well be fat) and then 165lbs on the 6th June for the wedding (6 weeks after that).

Jo, I was reading something on the slim and save website about what happens in maintenance. It stated that the expected amount of gain from water when you start to eat carbs again is 4lbs. It provides the science and calculations behind it - worth a read. The section is called re-feeding. Hopefully it will help you to figure out how much is water and how much is weight. Jx

Yeah I've read about glycogen regain weight which stays on once you're off a VLCD so I'm not panicking about 4lbs (hence my limit of 12 5 before making any change to diet) and being 2 lbs up after a takeaway is just water retention that's gone the next day but I'm still going to do 5:2 for a while as I'd ideally like to be 7 lbs lighter anyway and seeing a higher (though temporary!) number on the scale was a good reminder of that.

Seems a waste to be doing all this exercise without it showing under the final fat layer!!

How you getting on?

Was reading the stories of women who've recovered from eating disorders (of various types) and one thing really struck me - several of the women said that each day they make the choice to be healthy.

Every meal, every binge, every fast is a choice. So staying under my intended calories today is my choice - no one else. I'm tempted to buy and eat a load of chocolate but I can choose not to. I'm not powerless over my urges.

I like the idea of choices. Little good choices add up to one very good day :)

Yeah I've read about glycogen regain weight which stays on once you're off a VLCD so I'm not panicking about 4lbs (hence my limit of 12 5 before making any change to diet) and being 2 lbs up after a takeaway is just water retention that's gone the next day but I'm still going to do 5:2 for a while as I'd ideally like to be 7 lbs lighter anyway and seeing a higher (though temporary!) number on the scale was a good reminder of that. Seems a waste to be doing all this exercise without it showing under the final fat layer!! How you getting on? Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Hi Jo,

I am doing fine thanks. I had a small gain of 0.5lbs this week but I know it is totm. I am just patiently waiting for the cramping and craving to subside then I know I Weill definitely see a loss. I am so determined to be 11 something this week!!

I like your 5:2 plan. Do you have cwp products on your 2 fast days? That's what I am thinking of doing.

Yeah totm is an absolute curse on a VLCD! Keep plugging away and you know you'll get a good loss once the hormones are back in check.

Yeah I use products as I feel full using them in a way I don't with food as it seems to set off cravings. I'm doing 1 fast day as a matter of course to balance out the indulgent weekends but now doing 2 while having slightly fewer calories each day. Hoping I'll lose a couple of lbs every 3 weeks. Sounds slow but I don't want to feel like I'm dieting on my non fast days and I've not got a proper goal date having hit my main goal with Cambridge so no point in rushing it.

I'd be more than happy to do 5:2 for a couple of months each year to keep my weight in check if it means not having to go back to Cambridge again. Don't get me wrong- its fantastic for weight loss, but its so hard to have a life and it really does impact your day to day life and social stuff. Worth it in hindsight though!

Going to try for a fast tomorrow as I've got lunch out with colleagues on wednesday and don't think I'll fancy a fast on Friday. Also, at least if I don't manage it I'll have Friday as a back up day! Feels strange to be doing 2 fasts in a week but sure it'll be worth it.

You're sooo close to goal now, are you excited?? Starting planning the steps?

Hi Jo, my original target was 11 st 7 lbs but now that I am close I think I want to lose a bit more. Maybe get down to 11st. But even with that, it's only a stone to go. I am very excited and can't wait to get there.

I want to work up the steps and do it by the book to ensure I stabilise. Beyond that I do like the idea of doing 5:2 so that I can enjoy weekend as you say. What's the point in doing this if you can't go out and enjoy yourself, feeling good about how you look? So I so plan in finding something that allows me to have what I want but pull it back a few days a week.

I am reading your diary with interest as you are managing your weight and yourself very well. You're not allowing things to go too far before you pull it back. I hope I can do the same.

Back