Julie's diary...this time I will do it!

stillscrapping

Today is the start and a new beginning. 23/1/12. Will I remember this date in years to come? or will it be another diet day that came and went. I have never been on the Atkins diet before but now I have read all about it I can't understand why not! Carbs always seem to have been an issue with me usually causing bloatedness and tiredness but I so love my bread and cereal. But now I need to change....and I hope that in keeping this diary, and getting the support from people on here, that I am finally going to make a difference.

Firstly here's a bit about me.......I am 56 (but only in my body not my head!) I am married, have 5 children and 2 lovely grandchildren. I have been overweight for most of my life seesawing from plain overweight' to horribly 'obese'. I think the main reason I have not dealt with it properly in the past ( I have been on various diets over the years) is that I am still a very confident person and don't really have a problem with other peoples thoughts or judgements of me. So it all comes down to doing it for me! I have a heart problem and am on medication for that but I am not going to let that stop me. My consultant has told me that the only way my heart problems will improve is by losing weight.

During 2011 I lost nearly 3st with weight watchers which was great, and I have not put any back on over Christmas but now I need a kick start to lose more. I have a significant amount to lose and reading about the Atkins Diet gave me a lot of 'food for thought' and made so much more sense in relation to my own body.

I am hoping that by noting everything down here on a daily basis I will see what I am actually eating and will make it more 'real'. I will be very grateful for any hints, tips or suggestions from anyone out there so please feel free to chip in. :)

So I have stocked up with meat, eggs, fish, cheese, decaff and herbal teas, vegetables and cream. I have poured some of the cream into a jug and diliuted it with water for my brews....oh and I have bought myself a sports bottle which I can fill with water to keep up my fluids. So here we go........:wave_cry:

Hi Julie and welcome love, good luck and I hope Atkins is the one for you, I'm lucky, it suits me down to the ground. :)

Hiya Julie

Welcome and I am sure you will enjoy this way of eating - ask any questions, it's a very friendly and helpful bunch here :)

Hi Julie and welcome. Atkins really is amazing and i hope it works for you. Just think in a year's time how fit and healthy you could be feeling - go for it:D

Morning Julie ... we're the same age ... great to have you on here and I hope you enjoy the journey. This forum rocks - the guys are so supportive! :)

Wow, alpaca, you have done so amazing! Hope I can do as well.

Anyway day one went ok I think. I still haven't got my head round exactly what I can eat, I just know what I can't...carbs!!! For breakfast I had kippers and an egg, then lunch was lamb left from Sunday and cheese and then for tea I had sauted mushrooms a tomato and meat. I drank about 4 glasses of water and have changed to decaff tea with diluted cream instead of milk. Does this sound about right? Any ideas and tips will be gratefully recieved. :)

I'm going to check out some recipies later from the Atkins cook book so you never know what I may come up with! haha!

So as of 36 hours in I feel fine so let's see what the next 24 bring.

Thanks Bren. :)

Evening Julie, make sure you are getting plenty of green leafy veg - good for you and good for your insides;)

Thanks Katie, I'll bear that in mind....green veg on the list for tomorrow. What sort is the best Katie?

I must say I have spent ages looking at the recipes in the stickies on the forum. There are some truely scrummy ones there and if I was hungry I would make some but funnily enough I'm not!

So today:
breakfast was scrambled egg with bacon and cheese.
Lunch was lamb with romaine lettuce.
Tea was chicken fillet wrapped in bacon served with sauted leeks with a bit of cheese. It was delish!

Not sure what tomorrow will bring yet but I've got a shopping list from the recipe section so goodness knows what delights I could end up with. :)

Dizzydelly, we love VW's as well, especially Humprey our campervan!

Morning julie, have you read the "So you're thinking of starting Atkins" stickie? I give a list of the allowable veggies there love.

Agree all the veggies on the sticky nice. My favorites: brocolli, green beans, cauli, aubergine, courgettes, peppers, brocolli, celeriac, spinach, fennel, leeks, broccolli (oh did i already mention that!) :D. Hmm it's all yummy!

My favourites would have to be cauliflower, green beans and leeks! Can you have mange tout and sugar snaps as well?

So I'm off to bed in a bit with my sleepy herbal tea...today has been good and I have been good! :) breakfast was an omelette with cheese and bacon, lunch was ham and cheese and tea was garlic and mushroom cod with green veg. Didn't enjoy it much but I wasn't particularly hungry so maybe that had something to do with it. :( Anyway steak for tea tomorrow, with cauliflower bake I think, so that's something to look forward to.

I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I thought I would. Gosh you hear some scare stories about Atkins! But only from people who have no idea what it is all about.

See you all tomorrow.

Well done Julie on your very sensible and level approach... You'll do really well with this woe if you keep on this track ... :) x

Morning Julie, if you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat, the thing is, with Atkins you tend to feel fuller for longer. Not that you'd think that seeing what I eat, but then I'm not normal the wife says. :D

Back