Just diagnosed....now what?!

sarah_lou1981

Back again!!
Hi everyone

Just been diagnosed with PCOS today and am a bit lost. Had a scan last year and they said "suspected" but been told today, after another scan, that it's definite. Have been ttc for 16 months but in that time have only had two periods. Still got to wait to see my GP but was wondering whether anyone can offer any advice on anything PCOS related? I've lost four stone and my BMI is now 30 so what next? Has anyone been through this and can tell me what happens? Still feels a bit raw, i only found out at half four :(

Hi Sarah-Lou, I know you posted this a while back now but just wondered if you got any useful advice on the PCOS? I'm also ttc (about 2 years now) but I've been told my weight gain is stopping me ovulate and I'm only having about 4 periods a year. It would be nice to know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Lisa xx

Hi Sarah-Lou, I know you posted this a while back now but just wondered if you got any useful advice on the PCOS? I'm also ttc (about 2 years now) but I've been told my weight gain is stopping me ovulate and I'm only having about 4 periods a year. It would be nice to know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Lisa xx

Hi Lisa

The only advice I've been given is the usual 'lose weight' comments. I've had two periods since August 2011 which is when we started ttc. Someone has just recommended acupuncture so I'm looking into it at the minute. I find ttc really disheartening with not having periods because you can't 'plan' properly. I never know if I'm going to ovulate so can't plan when to dtd.

I'm usually Miss positive about it all but you've got me on a bad day so I'm being a bit self pitying!! Haha. Xx

Hi Sarah-Lou, yeah I suppose I've been given the same advice too. I've got an appointment with my consultant at the hospital tomorrow and I'm worried about what he's going to say, because I've found it so difficult to lose weight. One of my good friends would probably recommend acupuncture too, so definitely look in to it. Don't worry about the bad days, I'm a glass half full person too usually but just recently I've found myself resenting friends that get pregnant so easily (first year of marriage etc). I know it's irrational but I can't bring myself to make a fuss of them - its a bit of a dilemma for me. We'll get there I'm sure, just wish it could be easier for us, Lisa X

Girls- losing weight DOES help regulate your period..

I still have a lot of weight to lose but after losing a Couple of stones my periods became so much more regular.

I went from not having a period for a whole year to now having a period every 4-6 weeks.

Girls- losing weight DOES help regulate your period..

I still have a lot of weight to lose but after losing a Couple of stones my periods became so much more regular.

I went from not having a period for a whole year to now having a period every 4-6 weeks.

Thanks Roziee, and it does make sense as mine were regular -ish until my huge spike in weight gain. So how have you lost your weight? I had an apt with my consultant at the hospital the other week and have been advised low/no carbs. He told me WW would not work for me. Have been reading a couple of books from the library the last week on PCOS and diet and Atkins. Going to start officially my low/no carbs tomrw!! Just want this weight gone now x

Hi girls, can I add to this conversation? I have pcos and was trying to conceive for 3 years, tried metformin, clomid, flushed out my tubes etc... I lost about 3 stone and stopped smoking and just stopped trying so hard and it happened :) I only ever get a max of 2 periods a year so its possible. I then fell pregnant again expectantly a year after my first but now really struggling to get my weight under control. I really hope you get what you want soon x

I've been following sw :) I originally lost 3 stones.. Then put about 1 and 1/2 stones on...

But not I've lost 1 and 1/2 stones in 11 weeks so its steadily coming off.

Hi girls, can I add to this conversation? I have pcos and was trying to conceive for 3 years, tried metformin, clomid, flushed out my tubes etc... I lost about 3 stone and stopped smoking and just stopped trying so hard and it happened :) I only ever get a max of 2 periods a year so its possible. I then fell pregnant again expectantly a year after my first but now really struggling to get my weight under control. I really hope you get what you want soon x

Hi Saf and thank you for that :) that really does give me hope. I stopped smoking a year ago now and I'm going to try even harder with the weight loss, make it my main focus. You're right if we stop trying so hard on the ttc front it can happen. Lisa xx

I've been following sw :) I originally lost 3 stones.. Then put about 1 and 1/2 stones on...

But not I've lost 1 and 1/2 stones in 11 weeks so its steadily coming off.

SW is brilliant doesn't feel like a diet at all. That weight loss is fab. I'm looking forward to having lost a few stone too very soon. X

I agree the weight loss works for some but even when I was a 'normal' weight and a size 10 I still didnt have periods. I've lost four stone which hasn't affected my periods in any way but I just think everyone's body is different. It works for some, not for others. Really hope losing some more will help but from past experience weight hasn't made a difference for me. Sorry if I sound negative, it's just my own personal experience. Obviously I'm going to lose as much as I can anyway in the hope that it might even trigger one cycle at least!!! X

Not negative Sarah. It's you're over weight, the first thing the doctors will say is to lose it.. Because for a lot of women that normally fixes it. If it doesn't.. Then at least your healthy so it's a win win losing weight anyway :)

I know we haven't posted in here for a week or so but just wanted to let you know, despite my being so negative, on Saturday night I got my bfp!! Still struggling to believe it but have done three tests and they all said positive! The only thing I can think of is the lap & dye I had at the end of March must have helped because we've only dtd four times since and I've put a bit of weight back on too. My last period was sept 2012 so it is possible to get pregnant with pcos :) just hoping & praying its a sticky one!!! Sending all you ttc ladies lots of baby dust xx

Back