Just gave in to comfort eating :-(

lanugowife

Just ate 4 raspberry cream m&s Viennese fingers @ 4.5 syns each bringing my total syns to 23.5 today.

I feel rubbish & have been poorly & feel crappy about my post baby tummy so the treats made me feel better...ish. Tbh I allow myself to flexi syn as i rarely use more than 5-10 so will make sure I recoup the splurged 8.5syns, but what is more worrying to me is my association between high calorie food & comfort / feeling good. I thought I was over 'comfort eating' but quite clearly not.

Just needed to fess all to you & if anyone is equally struggling to stop the comfort food mind set feel free to let me know how / if you managed to disassociate the 2. xx

I think that fact you only ate 4 and syned them shows how in control you are.

I personally think its natural to try & get comfort from food as that is how society has trained us the thing we have to learn (and you are obv already doing well) is allowing a degree of comfort foods which you control rather than them controlling you.

Pre Sw you may have eaten the whole packet plus lots of other foods but now you CHOSE to eat 4 and then stop, so please don't feel bad and instead give yourself a pat on the back!

You have only gone over by 8.5 syns, not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

I had 3 horrendous days out of 5 last week as I was feeling crappy. Managed to stick to plan all day & went off the rails on the evening, had an indian, chinese & a whole dominos pizza to myself.

I thought I was over the binge eating but I think it's very difficult once you have a problem.

I don't think I'll ever get over the binge days. I'm feeling really fed up with myself at the moment and id already eaten a lot of my planned food by 10am today.

I guess it's all accounted for where as 6 months ago I would have just eaten everything in site and not counted it. Trying to turn a negative into a positive, I guess I've come a long way in 6 months

Biscuits are evil aren't they. I don't have them in the house, but always struggle to resist when I'm at work at they appear. I get quite stressed out by being in the same room as them to be honest. Silly eh. Trouble is that I know I'm weak, and that if I have even a half of one then I'm caught.

Well done for stopping when you did. Just think how many you might of got through if you weren't trying to stick to plan and try to get things into proportion before you get too down on yourself. You ate 4 biscuits. This isn't going to undo your whole week unless you let it by writing the rest of the day or week off. Come on - back on the waggon, we've saved your seat xxx

you did extremely well to stop at 4, you should be proud that you were in control. i comfort eat, i have done for years and it hasn't gone away because i follow slimming world. i've lost at an average rate over the past year and a half because i have sometimes struggled with keeping in control all of the time and in a way i'm glad because its given me leeway to still be my imperfect self. but the main thing is, is that i have learnt to forgive myself and get back straight back to it, no messing. whereas in the past i would let it on every single day and i would feel horrid about myself.
all i want to do is eat, especially the sugary stuff. i try to make sure i have as little bad stuff in as possible and plan ahead, make sure i have fruit, carrot sticks with cheese trianlges(my fave) and sweet treats that will fit in with my syn allowance.

Thanks guys... It's not so much the syns I went over, I've clawed them back today so no biggy. I just couldn't get over how much of a compulsion I felt to comfort eat all evening & after resisting caved & had those glorious biccys right before bed. I guess it's because I plan my syns usually so I'm looking forward to them etc, but I wasnt hungry, I just ate to feel better & I think I freaked a bit as it's such a slippery slope when you start & I thought I had moved beyond those 'food makes everything better' feelings. Oh well, now I know I haven't I guess I'd better just be careful. Thank you all again helping me gain a bit of perspective xx

Lanugowife, tell me about it. After 2 weeks of being good I got a bit tipsy on tuesday (all synned though) and ate an entire garlic bread even though I wasn't remotely hungry. 28syns that were completely unecessary!

Dont beat yourself up hun, were only human and to be honest you sound more in controle of your comfort eating than I have ever been. Last week I fell off the wagon, my craving for bread was killing me so what did I do before bed????? No, I diddnt have a slice of whomeal at 3 syns, I had a bag of prawn cocktail chrisp & 2 of OH very sugary cerial bars and I only stopped at that becouse there was no prawn cocktail left or the cerial bars, ill admit that if the box had been full, it wouldnt have been when id done. I just wanted something nice, if I couldnt have bread. I know theres no logic in it & I was gutted I did it, but were not robots & were not programed to be 100% perfect 100% of the time. Draw a line under it & If I was you, id be proud of myself that id only scoffed 4

I agree, draw a line under it and get back on plan. Sometimes we expect too much of ourselves and then have a downer because we've 'let ourselves down' :rolleyes:

As fairy3853 says we are only human and unfortunately with that comes human failings. Nobody is perfect (who'd want to be anyway... how boring would that be??) So relax and think of the positives. :cool:

If you think this issue is going to be a problem in the future then write out your shopping list after you've had a nice healthy SW dinner and stick to it. Don't buy those cakes and biscuits you know you will munch on.

Decide on a treat you will give yourself at various targets along your journey...a new dress...shoes, jewellery etc. If necessary stick pictures up of these nice treats on your cupboard/fridge to remind yourself of what you can achieve and what will soon be yours. :D

Good luck on your weight loss journey. ;)

Do you know what, I think you should be proud of yourself for stopping at 4 biscuits and getting on here. I too, have a tendency to binge, but for no obvious reason. I do it so fast I can't even taste the stuff.
So I've put a couple of hideous fat pics of myself up on the fridge and the treats cupboard...I can of course close my eyes when I open the doors but it does help sometimes.
I have to say, the way I binged at Xmas I am now certain that even though I've lost 4 stones I do have a dangerously bad relationship with food and therefore I plan never ever to leave my SW class.... It's the only way I'll be able to stay on track. I was hopelessly disgusted with myself after Xmas (put on 8lbs!!) but being back with my gang means the plan is constantly in my mind.
Draw a line under today and start planning your next yummy meal xxx

well said debsie. Id be proud of myself if id have stopped at 4 as well. The only way id stop at 4 is if there was only 4 in the packet. Im also the same as you with food debsie and like you if I fall off the wagon, I stuff the bad stuff down me so fast I also cnt taste it, but I think the reason I do this is becouse I want as many niceys as I can get before my voice of reason comes back and tells me off

I stuff the bad stuff down me so fast I also cnt taste it, but I think the reason I do this is becouse I want as many niceys as I can get before my voice of reason comes back and tells me off

In my head, if no one sees you eat it doesn't count!!

And I wonder why I'm fat :wave_cry:

I am guilty of this too am afraid. I have a viral infection and feel really rough so I had a takeaway last night instead of cooking.
I did enjoy it and I am trying not to feel bad as this to me isn't a diet it's a plan I will need for life and these things will happen.
So what I am going to is draw a line and get on with my week, weigh in is not til thursday and what will be will be hey. I plan to dose myself up today and make some speed soup and a lovely quiche full of speed and super free. I also have chicken to roast too so will have plenty of stuff to munch on when I can't be bothered.
Any advice on what I should do with syns for the rest of the week now? Never did this before always used to fall off plan and then not go to class that week in the past to avoid it.... not this time tho :)

How many syns did you have Fruitybabbe and hw many have you got left? I wouldn't punish yourself for a takeaway, there are still loads of appetising meals you can have that will keep you on track.

Don't know how many I had to be honest jez had a kebab some spicy wings and onion rings. Prob not many left now but wouldn't like to guess really, nevermind it's happened so will just eat as much free and speed as I can and minimum of syns. What you reckon lol :)

Back