Just nipped over to sw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just say one thing, there is no need to feel shame!
We all have choices and those choices make us who we are, if we regret the choices we make, then the healthy response (emotionally) is to ensure we learn from it.
I do not and will not buy into the idea that eating the wrong things makes me a bad person. It might make me a bad dieter, but not a bad person. Shame is a negative and (in this instance) false emotion, if you feel shame for eating a mars bar then that would negate the feeling of shame for hurting someone!

I hope we all have happy healthy lives, and please live without shame, unless you truly deserve it!
As my driving instructor used to say to ne when I'd beat myself up over every mistake "Have you killed someone? No! Have you hurt anyone? No! Let's drive on and learn"
Happy 2012!

Mizkirsty said:
And just a quick note for the xen shouldn't be used with sw the docs tend to recommend following it along side sw x

Well they wouldnt recommend it alongside a high fat diet would they? If someone goes in and asks to be prescribed it, or the GP offers it as a possibility, then for very obvious and orangey reasons going on to a low fat diet is eminently sensible. It works because it deters the person taking it from falling off the wagon because of the side effects it would create. It does not remove existing body fat, only prevents a small percentage of consumed fat from food being absorbed. For some people, having a deterrent as well as a great healthy eating plan to follow may be the best way to keep them on track with the healthy eating, and give better success because of the psychological effect of doing both.

However, it is unlikely to improve losses to any appreciable level above and beyond what just following the low fat diet as a stand-alone method produces.

Also, for some reason, and in some people, myself included, xenical actually seems to slow weight loss. That's not to say that Xenical etc doesn't have its place, but that in terms of actual tangible results, there would be very little appreciable difference because rather than absorbing excess dietary fat, it is merely working preventatively to stop you from having too much, if that makes sense.

When people come to the SW forum hoping that the combination of both will provide miracle results and losses far beyond what either alone could provide, then as a general rule, they tend to get told that - it won't. What perhaps we as SW have ignored in the past though is the psychological aspect of it as a deterrent. It won't produce better losses in numerical terms, but if it produces better losses over the longer term by keeping the user on track, then where is the harm?

Last edited:
For me it's exactly that, a deterrent. The fear factor is enough to stop me eating fat. So far in the 11 weeks no bad effects & a decent loss. We all have differing opinions but we are all on Minimins for the same reasons so let's just say onwards & downwards x

Agreed! There is no need that a tongue in cheek thread needs to be discussed on a section of the site designed for another method of weight loss. It can inevitably turn into an 'us v them' mentality.

We're all here for the same reason guys! ;)

PS - I read and enjoyed the thread about the gains, I think I have had a loss rather than a gain but I still have benefitted from the motivational discussion. :)

I consider SW to be my primary weightloss tool, with Xen alongside as a bit of a helpful booster.

Any how I've been off SW and off Xen for best part of a fortnight and only gained 1lb in that time so I'm over the mooooon :)

not sure why this thread was started in the first place? how silly to start a thread moaning about another thread and saying how other members aren't as friendly...not very sportsman-like is it?

i am weighing in tomorrow, i had a sneaky peeky and have gained around half a stone, it takes me 2 months to lose that amount of weight and im mortified. i have gained it in a week. i need to read that im not alone or else i would throw in the towel, sometimes listening to peoples endless fabulous losses when im struggling makes me feel like giving up, as i feel like i must be a failure if EVERYONE else can lose weight except me. so the thread has a place and i find it a welcome relief. the battle of losing weight is in our minds, completely, we decide what to eat and when and we are all guilty of self sabotage, so adding a huge dollop of guilt and shame into the mix doesnt do anyone any good.

Oh for feck's sake.

Take it from someone who's DONE Orlistat, Reductil, Cabbage Soup, Weight Watchers... Slimming World is the most supportive, lifestyle altering, realistic way of eating there is. I'll take that over involuntarily sh*tting oil any day of the week.

That being said, if one of us had come over here, snagged one of your 'How do you deal with the runny poo thing?' threads and slagged you off, would you have liked it? No. So think on before you snipe in future.

Oh, and I put on 8lbs. It'll be gone again soon. Huzzahs for me.

Really?! Bc that'll post will so promote the maturity of members in the sw threads!

Oh for feck's sake.

Take it from someone who's DONE Orlistat, Reductil, Cabbage Soup, Weight Watchers... Slimming World is the most supportive, lifestyle altering, realistic way of eating there is. I'll take that over involuntarily sh*tting oil any day of the week.

That being said, if one of us had come over here, snagged one of your 'How do you deal with the runny poo thing?' threads and slagged you off, would you have liked it? No. So think on before you snipe in future.

Oh, and I put on 8lbs. It'll be gone again soon. Huzzahs for me.

i put on 5 and a half :( gutted isnt the word, but so glad i arent alone. i couldnt even stay to group, i came home and had a cry :cry:

As I said to you the other day Starlight I think that is for the best as it's just getting nasty & as I said the other day we are all here for the same reason, TO LOSE WEIGHT & *****ing is not a sport that I am aware of.....

And just to add that Orlistat does not necessarily make you sh*t oil as you so politely put it, I have been on them 12 weeks & following a really healthy low fat diet I have lost just over 2 stone & no side effects at all.....

Starlight said:
And does this help either 'side'

If this is going to be reduced to name calling then I'll close the thread

Well if you read the post above you will realise my post wasn't the *****y one I was clearly pointing out its now gone to far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back