Just nipped over to sw

Status
Not open for further replies.

toofatkat

Not such a fat kat now :)
Just been to lurk on the sw board as I do every now and again. I don't really post there very often as I don't find them as helpful and friendly to each other as we are on here.
Anyway, just had to tell you about the stupid thread someone has started -

Post your Xmas gains here!!!

As if there's a rightful pride in putting weight on, something to be proud of. Weird or what!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Not a positive stance. I have an Xmas gain and I'm confident it's only temporary, I've admitted it on my thread but I don't need to be reminded. Will they have threads for New Year, Birthdays, dinner parties, TOTM etc gains as well?

Our 2012 goals and the Easter Challenge are far more positive. But everyone is motivated in different ways so lets hope it works for those on the SW boards.

Last edited:
I agree I don't think it should be a competition, I'm not saying people shouldn't have Xmas off but I'd not want to admit a gain as I'd be cross with myself but that's only cos I can't afford to fall off the wagon so early in my journey....

Last edited:
It's probably intended to be light hearted rather than a celebration lol. What's the alternative, a "post your xmas losses" thread where every one gets depressed for gaining instead of losing? :)

Sorry to intrude on your board xenical peeps, but I just wanted to say it was just a lighthearted way of dealing with the inevitable (for a lot of us anyway) excesses. From my post you can clearly see that I am neither proud nor celebrating my gain. But humour can be an effective way of dealing with difficult experiences and this is what it was meant to be. Ho hum. Here it is anyway, so you don't have to board hop to see it!

"Here the biggest gainer wins! Post your gain and see who can win the prize for biggest gainer or else make the rest of us sick with your STS or loss!

I've really overdone it - not so much in the two or three days of christmas proper but moreso in the run up to it. I weigh in tomorrow and I'm dead scared. I'll be so embarassed if I've gained a half stone or more but I'm afraid that that's a real possibility. Well at least i enjoyed myself and it does come but once a year lol!"

Is there really any need for the pettiness and *****yness??

How can OP say in one breath that were less helpful on Sw and then proceed to slag off a thread thats there! Double standards or what??!

I find the thread extremely helpful and it's nice to know I'm not alone in a gain.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed about the fact that I've gained, but will find it much easier to get straight back on it knowing that others are in the exact same boat as myself!

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth. I'm off back to Sw land now to be unhelpful.

Could be worse I suppose, I could be popping pills and shitting myself. But I guess that's personal choice!

I totally disagree with OP on the SW board there are so many lovely, helpful, friendly people about.

I suggest you have a read through some of the threads to get an idea of how supportive we all are.

MiniMins is suppost to be a supportive forum which I feel on this occasion you're not being.

I think the SW forum is one of my favourite boards. Even if youre not on the plan youre always made to feel very welcome, it has a really nice feel about it.

I think its quite apparant that the thread is pretty tongue in cheek to be honest. I think most of us have gained over Xmas. I saw it more as a 'fess up, draw a line under it and start again' type thing.

Theres also a huge amount of challenge threads there, Xmas/Dec/Easter/Summer theres even one for people sticking 100% to the plan over Xmas. Theres no end of motivation over there - believe me

There's no shame in a gain!

And if that thread helps just one person realise that they are not alone in gaining and gives them the strength to go to group, get on the scales and own their gain rather than hiding from it. Then surely, thats a good thing

Knowing the OP I don't think for one minute she was being horrible. We all struggle or we wouldn't need Minimins hey but I have to say I've found other forums not too supportive when they realise that as well as the diet plan you're following you take xen perhaps that is what she meant.... What matters is that we are going to weigh less this time next year.....

You know thats such a good point blue smartie. Far too many people think they should only be posting here when theyre on track and focussed. There are too many posts where people admit to not posting for a while because theyve been so off their diet and are embarassed to admit it. Minimins is a SUPPORT site, for the good points and bad, its not just to post to be praised or celebrate. Personally I find when Im struggling, thats when I need Minimins the most :)

Blimey. Hey everyone *waves*. I popped over from SW to see what all the fuss was about, hope you dont mind me commenting.

The nature of that thread is entirely tongue-in-cheek, as other posters have stated. Christmas is the one time of year where people pretty much universally over-indulge, and can empathise with one another when there are treats EVERYWHERE and it is hard to resist them.

I would never dream of coming on this forum, and reading your posts, and taking them back over there and slating them, whatever my personal opinion of them was. You choose to lose weight however you do it, as do those of us who chose Slimming World in order to do what we are all, ultimately, here to do, which is lose weight safely and effectively via whatever method we choose for us personally.

I am curious as to the OPs opinion that the SW is less friendly and helpful. It may be quite simply that when people ask about using Xenical/Alli with the SW plan, it is pointed out to them that its not really necessary to do that because SW is designed to be very low fat anyway and so the use of tablets to eliminate a portion of excess fat is not required, as the plan, followed effectively, uses very little fat as a basis and thus Xenical etc would be a bit pointless used in conjunction.

Its a shame that this post on SW has been misinterpreted in this manner and held up as some sort of piece of written evil. I am sure it was never meant that way, more of a way of mutually supporting one another through a time when we all pretty much go off plan one way or another.

Merry Christmas to you all, I hope you all have the 2012 that you are hoping for and achieve your goals, no matter how you choose to achieve them.

I think not admitting a gain is unhealthy! I allowed myself a gain of 7lb for xmas week and was really proud to have only gained 3. I think if you read it properly most people didn't gain what they expected to which means they actually must have made some good choices amongst the bad ones to lessen the damage :) Its not pride of gaining but pride of not gaining as much as you expected or pride that you've drawn a line under an over eating event and resolved to start afresh and rectify that gain pride that you are not burying your head in the sand and continuing to gain weight.

toofatkat said:
Just been to lurk on the sw board as I do every now and again. I don't really post there very often as I don't find them as helpful and friendly to each other as we are on here.
Anyway, just had to tell you about the stupid thread someone has started -

Post your Xmas gains here!!!

As if there's a rightful pride in putting weight on, something to be proud of. Weird or what!

Pot/ kettle/ black!!!!!

Minimins is a support site and judging by your thread you aren't a very supportive person, quite nasty actually! If you don't like what we talk about on the SW section don't bother coming on it!!

Something springs to mind here:

"It's not what you do between Christmas and New year, it's what you do between New Year and Christmas that matters"

I lost 4 st 5 lbs between New Year 2011 and Christmas 2011 and then gave myself 4 days off over Christmas and today go back to the Sw plan.Yes, I will gain, yes, I will own up to it, yes, yes yes and I feel able to post in that lovely positive forum. It;s one week. Get a life OP!

Lucia Lucia said:
Something springs to mind here:

"It's not what you do between Christmas and New year, it's what you do between New Year and Christmas that matters"

Absolutely love that quote :) xx

Again I agree with Lexie I don't think the op was meant to offend - I think after being apart of both forums the support varies here on xen we tend to know eachother a little more as there are fewer of us.

I don't think the op was intended to appear *****y - however I would like to point out all the offensive and intentionally aggressive posts have been from the sw board posters!

And just a quick note for the xen shouldn't be used with sw the docs tend to recommend following it along side sw x

I think the posts from the SW members have been more defensive than deliberately offensive.

If I saw someone from Cambridge Diet posting there that people on the Exante forum weren't friendly and then referred to a thread as 'stupid'. I'd come on and defend Exante forum.

I'm sure the OP wasn't meant the way it came across it's not really in the spirit of what Minimins is about to start a thread slagging off another sections members and threads and if it does happen then people defend their corner as I'm sure you all would if a similar thread was started elsewhere

Would it be more acceptable, or more "P.C." to start a thread entitled something along the lines of "I'm so ashamed of my Christmas gain..."?
For some people, especially those with children, family coming to stay, out enjoying a busier social life, etc., a gain is a necessary evil around this time of year. I will hold my hand up and say, I gained 3lb this week... and you know what? I enjoyed every, single, solitary, calorific-splendiforously-fat-laden ounce of it.
The thread was meant as a way of saying to ourselves, "yes, I've not been as good as I could have over Christmas, but I'll be back on track from now on."

You gotta live, people. Do you all really intend to avoid enjoying yourselves for fear of putting on a few pounds, once a year? I don't :D

Anyway, good luck to everyone, on every sort of diet. I hope the new year brings with it plenty of losses, and of course, deserved gains that are enjoyed.

*waves*

Starlight said:
I think the posts from the SW members have been more defensive than deliberately offensive.

If I saw someone from Cambridge Diet posting there that people on the Exante forum weren't friendly and then referred to a thread as 'stupid'. I'd come on and defend Exante forum.

I'm sure the OP wasn't meant the way it came across it's not really in the spirit of what Minimins is about to start a thread slagging off another sections members and threads and if it does happen then people defend their corner as I'm sure you all would if a similar thread was started elsewhere

Couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back