Just Recipes!

I have just taken my first Cheeseburger pie out of the oven. It smells scrumptious!!

Just spotted this on google - I love caraway seeds...........will use this once I get back on real food

Blanched Cabbage with Butter and Caraway Recipe

Print Options

• Prep time: 20 minutes
  • Cook time: 5 minutes
Ingredients

• One 2-pound head of green cabbage
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
  • Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Method

1 Heat a large (8-quart) pot of well salted water to a boil.
2 While the water is heating, prepare the cabbage. Peel away and discard and discolored or old outer leaves. Cut the head of cabbage into quarters, through the core, and cut away and discard the core. Use your hands to tear the cabbage into large (about 1 to 2 inch) pieces. (Or use a knife.)
3 Once the water is at a rolling boil, add the torn cabbage leaves to the water. Submerge the leaves in the hot water. Cook for 90 seconds, then drain the pot of its water. Return the cabbage leaves to the pot.
4 Stir 4 tablespoons of butter into the cabbage. The cabbage and the pan are both hot, so the butter should melt quickly in the pan. If you are using unsalted butter, you will want to add more salt to the cabbage. Start with half a teaspoon and add more if needed. Sprinkle with caraway seeds, celery seeds, and black pepper, and toss to combine.
Serve immediately. Great with pork, veal, or frankfurters.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6.

This sounds good as well, you could probably use pork instead of the veal I would think............

Veal Goulash with Sauerkraut Recipe

Print Options

• Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Ingredients

• 4 Tbsp unsalted butter or rendered beef fat
  • 2 pounds of veal, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced onions, sliced root to tip, 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, or chopped fresh ripe tomatoes
  • 1 cup full-fat sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, chopped or crushed in a mortar with pestle
  • 2 28-30 ounce jars sauerkraut (we recommend Bubbies, in the refrigerated section of the grocery store)
  • 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Method

1 Heat butter or beef fat in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Pat dry the cubed veal. Sprinkle with salt and add to pan. Working in batches, sauté the meat until the meat is just beginning to brown.
veal-goulash-sauerkraut-1.jpg
veal-goulash-sauerkraut-2.jpg

2 Add the onions to the pan with the veal, cook for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3 Add a teaspoon of salt, a half teaspoon of black pepper, and the tomatoes. Add enough water to just barely cover the meat, about 2 cups or so, depending on the size and shape of your pan.
4 Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer, uncovered. Cook until the meat is almost cooked through, about 30 minutes.
veal-goulash-sauerkraut-3.jpg
veal-goulash-3a.jpg

5 Use a slotted spoon to remove the veal from the pan to a bowl to temporarily set aside. Increase the heat to high and let the liquid boil until it is reduced by half. Lower the heat to medium. Add the meat back to the pan.
veal-goulash-sauerkraut-4.jpg
veal-goulash-4a.jpg

6 Add the sour cream, paprika, and crushed caraway seeds, and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
7 Heat the sauerkraut in a medium pot on medium heat until hot.
To serve, strain the sauerkraut. Place the sauerkraut in a serving dish and top with the goulash.
Yield: Serves 8.

Dear Paigesmum30, I have a recipe that calls for creme fraich instead of cream in fish pie, so hope you can try that, Deb x

I'm going to be trying this - Bake an Egg in an Avocado for a Fast and Healthy Breakfast Treat - tomorrow for breakfast. It looks DEVINE! <3
Just thought I'd share in case anyone else wanted to try it out.

For anyone who can't see the page the recipe is:

• preheat oven to 425, have cast iron pan in there
  • Slice avocado in half, take out pit
  • take pan out, put avocado half on, crack egg in
  • put whatever you want on top
  • place in oven and cook till your eggs are done how you desire

image-1809464022.jpg

Atkins roast!

10g carbs

Roast chicken, pigs in blankets, green beans, roasted swede and chicken gravy made with chicken juices.

View attachment 25706

Atkins roast!

10g carbs

Roast chicken, pigs in blankets, green beans, roasted swede and chicken gravy made with chicken juices.

I would be grateful for any "gravy" as I miss the wetness of it, I was always one for putting lashings of gravy on me dinner and it's just not the same with dry meat and dry veggies, if you know what I mean.;)

I used the juice from roasted chicken, added a stock cube (1g carbs) and a bit of boiling water. Shared between 3 people so 0.3 carbs! Bit watery but tasted gooooooood.

Has anyone got any tasty low carb soup recipes? Such a miserable day here I just fancy a warming bowl of soup?

I like mushroom soup - saute some chopped mushies in butter until nice and brown, finely chop - or for a slightly smoother soup, pulp (I use my thunderstick mixer thing), then put in a pan with some veg stock, water and dried herbs and heat through.

Other things I add every now and again are chilli and spinach.

Followed by burgers? :) I just made these and they are easy peasy - 500g mince, mix with an egg, herbs, mushrooms and some grated cheese, then in the oven at 180ish for about 20 minutes.

Note - they do shrink a bit in the cooking process :)

Burgers.jpg

I just found this blog and a recipe for houmous using cauliflower. It's a bit carby, but looks like it may be a good substitute. Not for inductions though.

Hummus

Click to enlarge
I made some Middle Eastern Tabouleh salad today and wanted a bit of hummus to go along with it. Being made from basically chickpeas, this is far from a low-carbers “safe” food to eat. But I recently I saw on another WordPress blog (Cavewomancafe) that cauliflower can be used to make hummus, so I decided to take my recipe of many years and try it. I really wanted to add a few chick peas just for the flavor boost, but discovered I didn’t have any among my canned goods or in the freezer either. I thought a moment and remembered I have chickpea flour in my pantry. After all, it’s made from finely ground chickpeas, non? Hmmmm…..Why not? So I whipped up a batch of my regular hummus recipe, subbing cauliflower for chick peas, guessing how much chickpea flour to put in the mix. Man, this came out not just good, it was to die for! I honestly couldn’t really tell it apart from the carb-laden variety made with all chickpeas! This recipe is not suitable until the legumes rung of the OWL ladder. The bread sticks pictured are made from 1 slice of my now favorite focaccia bread: SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: Foccacia Bread (GF) One added note, when I make this focaccia bread recipe, I substitute ½ c. Carbquick for the ½ c. almond flour in her original recipe.
NOTE: This is not so great leftover (cauliflower taste comes through much stronger, and it got almost “hot” like a very old turnip) so only make as much as will be consumed completely the day it is made.
INGREDIENTS:
16 oz. cauliflower
2 T. tahini paste (sesame seed butter)
2 T. chickpea flour (or ¼ cooked chickpeas)
1 T. fresh lemon juice
½ clove garlic, minced
dash salt
1 T. olive oil (for the hummus mixture)
¼ c. olive oil for top garnish
Dash paprika for garnish
parsley sprig to garnish (optional)
DIRECTIONS: Steam cauliflower over boiling water until tender. Lift out of pot and put into food processor. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the ¼ c. olive oil, paprika and parsley sprig. Blend until smooth. Scrape out onto serving dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Drizzle with ¼ c. olive oil, allowing some to pool around the edges. Garnish with sprig of parsley (or chopped) and serve with your favorite low-carb focaccia bread or crackers. I personally love this stuff best when served with Tabouleh salad and Greek olives, as they are wonderful together!
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 5 servings, each containing:
196 calories
17.76 g fat
8.04 g carbs, 3.16 g fiber, 4.88 g NET CARBS
3.46 g protein
70% RDA Vitamin C, 18% B6, 16% E, 20% copper, 16% iron, 18% manganese, 15% phos

Cottage Pie

500g minced beef
1 onion
1 garlic clove
tbsp mixed herbs
1 tin tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
one tsp branston(or other) pickle. cranberry sauce or a few drops of wostershire sauce.
1 large celariac
tbsp butter
grated cheese for topping

Dice and gently fry the onion, garlic and herbs in a little olive oil untill the onions are soft. add the minced beef and cook until browned. add the tomatoes, tomato puree and pickle/chutney/wostershire. stir all together, you can add some red wine here as well. cover and simmer for at least half an hour, stiring occasionly.

While the meat is cooking, peel and chop the celariac and boil until soft (about 20 mins) and then mash using the butter and a hand blender. build the cottage pie by putting the meat in bottom of an oven proof dish and cover with a layer of the celariac. add the cheese on top and bake for 20-30mins at 18 degrees or until browning on top.

carbs work out at about 10g per 6th of the recipe, but these could be reduced by using lower carb tinned tomato. this recipes can also use cauliflour mash instead of celariac.

Breakfast Muffins

Makes 12

Carb and calorie depends on choice of fillings. These were about 121kcal and 1g carb each

Can freeze or keep in fridge for up to a week and reheat in the microwave for 30secs

Ingredients:

2 little shallots, finely chopped
3 slices of ham, finely chopped
100g cheese, grated
12 eggs

Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees
Either use silicone muffin trays or silicone ones. If using metal (like I did) use muffin cases.
Use butter or non-stick spray in tray/cases
Add a spoonful of filling and top with a pile of cheese so the cases are about half full
Beat all the eggs, I used a mixer and a measuring jug so it's easy to pour
Full each case so they're about 3/4 full
Bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked and lightly golden
You can finish under the grill for colour if you like

Don't over cook or the eggs go rubbery.

Enjoy! Good, quick, low-carb breakfast and great for on the go. :)

Attachments

• image-1120894642.jpg
    image-1120894642.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 138
Back