just started JUDDD but worried

ladybird777

Silver Member
I wondered if any of you have had this when starting JUDDD. I had my first dd yesterday from 10pm til 10 pm. I managed to keep within 500 calories but that was probably cos I got up late ( 11 am) and sat about all day which is not an option normally as I work outside and have to be up very early and busy all day. I felt weird yesterday, had bouts of sick feelings with sweating, feeling faint and hunger but managed til 10pm on the 500 calories.

At 10 pm I was starving - too hungry to sleep -so I ate 3 Weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, some grapes and a WW bagel with cheese and a glass of red wine and realised I'd clocked up 700 calories before my up day had got started. :eek: I got up today and didn't have breakfast, ( cos of the 700 night time "snack" calories), didmy early morning stuff ( I run an animal rescue) went shopping, came home feeling sweaty, weak and faint (and really irritated like I had a bad case of pmt) and shovelled, and I mean shovelled, back Singapore Noodles with chicken, pork and prawns, then ate 2 pieces of my dd's Chocolate fudge brownie traybake and a shortbread biscuit. DD remarked she never seen me eat that much food in one sitting ever before and I did SW before.

I have had blood sugar issues since a bout of flu and also gestation diabetes when pregnant but nothing that is picked up on by the GP as treatable but wondered if the only eating 500 calories triggered the binge today? Reading here everyone else seems to want less food on their up days not more than they would have had normally. I am already at well over 1,200 calories and I haven't had dinner yet! I know some of you don't count but surely there must be a point when the 500 calorie days is cancelled out by the next day excesses? I've been hungry all day, feel weird and wired and off and have no idea if it's just me adjusting.

Hi, sorry you had such a bad DD! The symptoms you describe most certainly sound like low blood sugar. Right don't panic, if your GP has checked you over & nothing shows up then this diet IF you can settle into it might just be your savious as it really does help with insulin resistance & insulin spikes.
You need to plan your DD's well in advance.
You have decided to fast 10pm to 10pm..not quite sure why you chose those times, but whatever suits you. Hanna does a similar thing but she does 5pm - 5pm straight no food just fluids, then she can have an UD meal well before bed.
I personally have me evening meal on my UD then start my DD at breakfast the next morning (oatmeal whether UD or DD no difference) and have something around 150 cals at dinner -soup or fish, then 150 cals for tea about 6pm (usually home made soup-huge bowl) then off to bed early and don't eat again until between 6am-9am depending on my shift ( I'm a Community Health worker). anyway, whichever way you decide to do it, if your job is physical you are probably better spreading your 500 cals through the day. Now the important bit, if you start to get lightheaded, shaky etc..DO NOT eat anything with high sugar..have a cup of tea or coffee with a good splash of milk..or a slice of thin ham/chicken/turkey rtc..and I mean just a bite..and you should feel ok very quickly.
On the UD following, try to eat a normal meal, eat it slowly and wait at least 30 mins before eating again. You may think you are hungry, however you probably are not. If I can help more just ask

Hi Jilly

Thanks for your reply. 10 pm - til 10 pm is cos the day I started it was last time I ate anything that night so I started the DD from then as I have to be up til 3 pm with a disabled child and then up again by 7.30 -8 for child/animal care most days. ( two days someone else does it) but bed early is never an option. My eating times are pretty erratic cos of this. Thanks for the tips on the low blood sugar management. I've managed to come in at just under 2,000 calories today despite my pig out at lunch time :) and ate a moderate tea at a normal time tonight so the dd starts from 10 tonight again as I can't do 36 hours on 500 calories with so little sleep if I started it at breakfast in the morning. I did wonder if I'm dehydrated so I've bought some bottle water and that might help the DD tomorrow. :)

Yes, drinking lots of fluid will help lots, I also fing low salt beef oxo cubes are a great DD pick me up. Once you have done a few DD's you'll find it gets easier & you will also find you can go much longer on 500 cals or less. In the Horizon programme on fasting theres a 90 year old man that runs marathons on 600 calories a day!!!! Thats what fat is for..to be used as fuel, its just your system prefers you to feed it!!!! It will soon learn..Today I did 30 mins workout, food shopping, dusted, vaccuumed & spring cleaned the bathroom, did my laundry, looked after my OH's care & meals from 8am to 2.30pm on 150cals....no problem & I'm 61 & morbidly obese! You can do it!

Thank you :) Today was better. I drank loads of water and although I was tired I wasn't hungry on 500 calories at all. I think it was dehydration related more than blood sugar related on the first day now. Also the day before I started I hadn't eaten much. I ate small amounts of protein today and was just as busy as normal tho not quite as busy as you. That's impressive. I'm not far behind you age wise - 52 soon :) So up day tomorrow.( for both of us by the sounds of it). I feel more in control now and less likely to pork back food at speed. I know technically I can eat after 10 pm tonight but I won't until what most people class as breakfast time. Thanks, you've been a huge help :)

Supposed to be an up day today but due to an all day hoo har I have only had 490 calories, nearly all at teatime. Can't eat another 1,500 by 10 pm so it's looking like I've had a double down day. I know its not a good idea to do two in a row but it has happened by accident. It puts things out of joint for the weekend too but not keen to do 3 DD in a row just to have the weekend as ups. I'm not hungry at all tho. Stupid thing is I feel fatter lol

I personally think the first down day is traumatic for a lot of people. It IS a shock to your system! I took a 3 day break over Christmas and my first fasting day back was AWFUL. Definitely definitely keep the liquids up!

I had problems just like yours. Blood sugars dropping. I'm not a diabetic but I do get hypoglycemia as a very unusual side effect to medication (etanercept) If I'm on a fasting day and I take an attack I have something very small and very sweet to kick me back to life again. (but thats only in absolute emergencies which don't happen too often)

I also split my days as I find putting a sleep in between my fasting "day" helps a lot. For example... I start my fast tonight at 5pm. I go to bed at 11. Hasn't even started to affect me by bedtime. I get a nice sleep, wake up completely revitalised and I only have to go until 5pm without food! Have never had a migraine on a fast day since I changed from whole days to 5-5.

I personally think the first down day is traumatic for a lot of people. It IS a shock to your system!

It was. I was a mess! Since then it's got easier...bit too easy cos now I am not eating enough but I'm hoping it will even out.

I start my fast tonight at 5pm. I go to bed at 11. Hasn't even started to affect me by bedtime. I get a nice sleep, wake up completely revitalised and I only have to go until 5pm without food! Have never had a migraine on a fast day since I changed from whole days to 5-5.

Oooh *light bulb moment* 5-5 might work better for me. :) I am doing 10-10 at the moment cos it was how it fell when I started it but the idea of having a decent tea every night is appealing. :) I could do a full fast with a night in-between too, especially on my two later up days. Thanks :)

Back