Just to say hello and diet preference advice please

Junipersling65

Hello everyone I’m a 55 year old grandmother with over 5 stone to lose. I can’t decide whether to do SW or WW and have the books for both diets. I don’t want to pay out on apps etc as I have enough info with my books to do whatever the diet I decide on. It’s mindset I’m struggling with lol and I’m torn as to which diet will be best long term. Any advice...? X

It’s very difficult to advise at its very much personal choice and what you feel you can stick with.

I’d like to lose around 10 stone. In January I set myself a target to lose 6 stone this year and I’m just over 3 stone lost. I’ve done it by following SW and have done it myself without joining a group or subscribing online. I picked it because I know people who’ve done SW and so I knew a little of how it worked and then I bought the SW info from Ebay and started planning. It has really worked for me, although during lockdown, especially early on I wasn’t fully optimising as I couldn’t get fresh fruit and vegetables often enough so I now follow the principles of SW but I also monitor calories - helps with portion control particularly on free food. I’m sure WW is also good and I’ve heard positive things about the new WW.

So I think what I’m saying is pick one and you’ll adapt as you go along to what suits you. Mindset for me was about setting myself some long term goals but breaking it down to short term goals and working from one goal to the next - it doesn’t feel so overwhelming that way. I was also absolutely determined this time that I would lose weight and stick to it & I also made sure I could make slimming friendly versions of my favourite meals (which you’ll be able to do on either SW or WW) so I didn’t feel at all deprived.

Happy to answer any questions. Good luck to you

It’s very difficult to advise at its very much personal choice and what you feel you can stick with.

I’d like to lose around 10 stone. In January I set myself a target to lose 6 stone this year and I’m just over 3 stone lost. I’ve done it by following SW and have done it myself without joining a group or subscribing online. I picked it because I know people who’ve done SW and so I knew a little of how it worked and then I bought the SW info from Ebay and started planning. It has really worked for me, although during lockdown, especially early on I wasn’t fully optimising as I couldn’t get fresh fruit and vegetables often enough so I now follow the principles of SW but I also monitor calories - helps with portion control particularly on free food. I’m sure WW is also good and I’ve heard positive things about the new WW.

So I think what I’m saying is pick one and you’ll adapt as you go along to what suits you. Mindset for me was about setting myself some long term goals but breaking it down to short term goals and working from one goal to the next - it doesn’t feel so overwhelming that way. I was also absolutely determined this time that I would lose weight and stick to it & I also made sure I could make slimming friendly versions of my favourite meals (which you’ll be able to do on either SW or WW) so I didn’t feel at all deprived.

Happy to answer any questions. Good luck to you

Thanking you very much for your reply. I’m leaning towards SW to be honest but feel either diet will work if I really want it too. I wish you every success with your weight loss journey too. I know I have to focus on long term not overnight miracles. I think the milk and cheese allowance sways it for me with WW milk takes a lot of my points...!

Last edited:
Thanking you very much for your reply. I’m leaning towards SW to be honest but feel either diet will work if I really want it too. I wish you every success with your weight loss journey too. I know I have to focus on long term not overnight miracles. X
That is very true, but to be able to stick to something long term you need to celebrate the short term losses along the way and feel that you’re succeeding.
There’s a lot of support and encouragement on here. Quite a few people are following SW

That is very true, but to be able to stick to something long term you need to celebrate the short term losses along the way and feel that you’re succeeding.
There’s a lot of support and encouragement on here. Quite a few people are following SW
Think more following SW than WW so I’m going to try SW for a month and see how I get on. X

Hello everyone I’m a 55 year old grandmother with over 5 stone to lose. I can’t decide whether to do SW or WW and have the books for both diets. I don’t want to pay out on apps etc as I have enough info with my books to do whatever the diet I decide on. It’s mindset I’m struggling with lol and I’m torn as to which diet will be best long term. Any advice...? X
Hi there, different diets suit different people.
I have 3 times lost weight, (engagement) WW (wedding) calorie counting (divorce) heartbreak diet. Lol.
I think we all know what we should and shouldn't eat. Trust the choice you make and good luck with your journey, xx

Back