Katycakes Won't Give Up...

Thanks all... posting in a hurry this morning as I have a lot to do, so will catch up properly on diaries later and just wish everyone a fab Sunday from here...

Scales still at 12 5, which is fine, porridge down and a whole day ahead... let's do this!

xxx
Good morning hun have a lovely day. happy cding sunday x

Yay for the scales going down the other day :D You`re doing great!! :D

Hope you`re having a lovely Sunday Xxx

Evening KC..
Just catching up with diaries as havent been on for a few days.
Really enjoyed your post about things you should be happy about... just make you think and realise...
All the walking sounds good... Im really trying to do lots of walking too. its so good for you!
Hope you had a fab Sunday..
Postive vibes coming your way for the week ahead xxx

Thanks everyone, hope you all had a good weekend too!

OK. I am 25 days in, SS but 4x packs over last 10 days. I have been 100% except for two days, 14 & 15, when I ate choc, took a gain but lost it again. Losses have been slow compared to last time, at last unofficial WI (Thurs) I was 12lb down. Another lb then dropped off, and I stuck there. Today I am 1lb heavier. I know it has to be water retention/ hormones/ something to do with phantom vanishing totm, but I feel so sad. I have tried SO hard. I have been 100% and yesterday I walked briskly with dog for an HOUR cross-country, hoping to push the losses a bit, and what happens?

I know I need to be calm and not panic, stay with it, but I wanted to own up to the sad feelings about this - admitting them before they sneak up and derail me, if that makes sense. Sts maybe, but how can I GAIN? On 600 cals or whatever it is? Feel so demoralised. What can I do to push things on? Stay strong?

I wanted to stay on SS until BMI 25 but at this rate there is no way I can last out, losses of 1lb or 2lb if I am lucky a week are baffling me. Right now I am thinking I will try to stay SS for one more week, then move up to 810 before I lose the will to live altogether... feel like I am being punished for my past greed and that's not a good mindset to have, I know.

Porridge eaten and bar planned for midday.

Sorry to be downbeat, I'll bounce back, just shaken me a bit. Perspective. Get some. NOW...

xxx

Hi Katycakes,

It is depressing -- but I see the sun this morning. :) And, even if you think the exercise did not benefit you (it did) your dog is every-so-grateful. ;)

I think you are right and should probably move up to 810 or even 1000. Your body is likely holding on fluids to compensate for the fact that you have been VLC for so long. It thinks that you are going through a time a famine and is going to "fight" to do whatever it can to survive. So, bumping up the calories a bit and continuing to do reasonable exercise should give you a loss. It is like priming the pump.

Also, as you approach a healthy bmi it is probably time -- horror -- to start dealing with food again. we need to be learning how to make good choices, use portion control, balance things, etc.

I joined Rosemary Conley last week -- I loved the Zumba class -- but I wanted to get me some of those portion pots. OMG, I was shocked at what a "portion" of many things truly is. No wonder I regain 2 1/2 stone: I was easily having three or four times an appropiate portion.
(Rosemary Conley is running a five weeks, free joining kit deal for 29 pounds there is a coupon on the website. The deal ends fairly soon.)

Hang in there -- it'll get better. We all these STS and inexplicable gain weeks.

MM

Am typing this on my phone so will be brief. You have lost 12lbs in less than 4 weeks including a wobble!! that's over 3lbs per week on average which is brilliant. It is 12lbs more than I've lost and 12lbs worth of fat off your body!

I'm sorry you feel like it is taking too long but you are doing great and you will get there.

Sending you lots of positive vibes - stay strong and have a good day!

Arrived in London so must hop off the train now...

L

KC..
Firstly just wanted to send you big hugs ((((Katy))) as I dont like to hear that your sad!!
I understand why you feel like you do .. but you should be so proud you have lost 12 lbs in 25 days which is fab hon.. Sometimes I find when I do a bit more exercise I dont lose so much.. You could be holding water or is it near totm..
It wil be off before you know it.. Maybe your body needs more if you are doing all this walking. Perhaps you should move up to 810 this week hon if your not taking in enough calories and doing lots of exercise its not going to work in your favour hon!!
Please chear up and give us a smile... you have done so well so far!!!
Lotsa love and positive vibes coming your way..
xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks MM, thanks Alli.

@ Alli, I know I must sound so ungrateful and greedy, but the first 13 days were 100% and I lost 11lb. Then two 'binge' evenings, where the food eaten must have amounted to 600 cals on each maybe - 2 bars choc on one night, then one choc coin & a piece of rye bread on the other. So, two 1100 days ratehr than the 500 ones (the first 13 days were 3-pack days & no CD bars). Then followed 10 days where I have in total lost 1lb. For being 100% at 600 cals and walking up hills and trying so, so hard. I sound like a spoilt child, I know, but just don't get it. I know alot of the loss of first 13 days was glycogen, so don't even count it as much as I do the later losses. Just feel lost!

@ Mel, but it hasn't been very long on SS, just 25 days? Surely I can't be stalling already? I know the walks will be helping, but gad, if I HADN'T walked the 5 miles yesterday how much would I have gained? More than just 1lb, probably. How do you gain on SS? Feel like confidence is running through my fingers like water and scared to move up... I know I am not being rational... just very hacked off right now.

Thanks both for your responses, I am thinking, promise.

xxx

Thanks Curly... cross-posted. I know... need to stay calm, it will sort itself out. Looking for a logical reason probably isn't wise, as there may not be one... I am mostly walking for half an hour, not every day, yesterday's hour long jaunt (5 miles) was unusual. Definitely not doing too much exercise, rest of time I am sat at a computer... sigh.

xxx

Why does a very low calorie intake slow down weight loss?

Quite simply, your body goes into 'starvation mode'. This mechanism, which is thought to have evolved as a defence against starvation, means the body becomes super efficient at making the most of the calories it does get from food and drink. The main way it does this is to protect its fat stores and instead use lean tissue or muscle to provide it with some of the calories it needs to keep functioning. This directly leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers metabolic rate so that the body needs fewer calories to keep ticking over and weight loss slows down. Of course, this is the perfect solution if you're in a famine situation. But if you're trying to lose weight, it's going to do little to help you shift those unwanted pounds.

So how many calories should I have to prevent starvation mode?

Unfortunately, there's no single answer to this question. As everyone's metabolism varies in the first place, so too will the point when the body starts to use muscle to provide it with calories in a 'famine-type' situation. That's why WLR works out suitable calorie intakes for each member on an individual basis and never lets you opt to lose more than 2lb a week, which would require a severely restricted calorie intake. In other words, if you stick to the calorie intake recommended by WLR, you can be sure your body won't go into starvation mode.

As a general rule though, most nutrition experts recommend never going below 1,000-1,200 calories a day if you're dieting on your own. It's also worth bearing in mind that the body doesn't suddenly 'enter' and 'leave' starvation mode, like crossing the border from Devon into Cornwall. It's a gradual process - so you don't need to panic if you do go below your calorie intake very occasionally.

** 25 days is plenty of time for your body to think it is starving.

The good news is you can increase the amount of muscle you have by increasing the amount of exercise you do. This in turn will rev up your metabolism so that you can lose weight one final time on a slightly higher calorie intake than you've perhaps been used to.
For more on how to boost your metabolism, see my related article, 8 Ways to Speed Up Your Metabolism

The main site:
Dieting and Metabolism

Thank you Mel... but why doesn't this happen to others on CD/ LL? Why didn't it happen to me last time? Trying to take this in, figure out if it seems likely for me... thank you, so much, for the input. Head struggling to make sense of it, don't want to make any hasty decisions. I do know this, but somehow CD seems to over-ride the usual advice... maybe the protein in the shakes? So trying to figure out why this would happen so soon. Possibly to do with BMI being lower than last time?

xxx

xxx

Katycakes said:
Thanks MM, thanks Alli.

@ Alli, I know I must sound so ungrateful and greedy, but the first 13 days were 100% and I lost 11lb. Then two 'binge' evenings, where the food eaten must have amounted to 600 cals on each maybe - 2 bars choc on one night, then one choc coin & a piece of rye bread on the other. So, two 1100 days ratehr than the 500 ones (the first 13 days were 3-pack days & no CD bars). Then followed 10 days where I have in total lost 1lb. For being 100% at 600 cals and walking up hills and trying so, so hard. I sound like a spoilchild, I know, but just don't get it. I know alot of the loss of first 13 days was glycogen, so don't even count it as much as I do the later losses. Just feel lost!

xxx

Oh Hun, you don't sound ungrateful or greedy at all! I didn't realise that you only lost 1lb in the past few weeks. I would be just as frustrated as you are now bearing in mind the effort involved.

Maybe moving to 810 or 1000 for a week or two and see how you get on would be a good thing.

Don't let your frustrations derail you though - that's what I've done and I'm nowhere further than I was on new years day :(

Big hugs! xxx

Sorry Alli, just feel all muddled and lost, I am not going to crash, I promise, I can't. I am thinking about 810 in case it might kick-start things, but part of me thinks if I sit tight it will all be OK... just that i have been telling myself this for 10 days now!

Hug back for Alli and thanks.

xxx

Sorry Alli, just feel all muddled and lost, I am not going to crash, I promise, I can't. I am thinking about 810 in case it might kick-start things, but part of me thinks if I sit tight it will all be OK... just that i have been telling myself this for 10 days now!

Hug back for Alli and thanks.

xxx

Oooh Katy, I'm feeling your disappointment and confusion with you. Please stick with it sweetie. If you read my latest post on my diary it might ring a bell for you? Sometimes the scales will not reflect what is really going on. Sometimes it is about shrinkage, losing inches instead of lbs. Have you noticed differences in your clothes, how they fit etc?

In just 24 hours the same item of clothing looks and feels different on me. It's like I have lost 1-2" from my waist, hips and thighs overnight. Weird but true :D

I am sure there is an explanation for you as to why the scales haven't moved and I bet it has nothing to do with you gaining any fat!!!

Hugs to you and I hope you are telling Fred that he can naff orf!!! xx

ok hunny....let's take a moment here and breathe.....you are in control and the scale bobbing up and down is completely normal (just read my losses! 7lbs in 4 wks of 810) my scales go up after excercise or the weekend depending on what my routine is, Daily scale weight is unrealiable, my scales didn't move for an age but there are so many different factors to be taken into account here, totm, muscles holding water from exercise, less water perhaps one day or the need for a no 2!
Don't let the scale reading ruin your day or your mindset and maybe daily weighing is not for you if you can't handle the reading. Are you reading the Beck book hunny, its got some great bits in it about scales and a section on saying 'oh well' and carrying on. Have you done the ARC's, the Credit sections, the bits about controling the negative responses in your head...I would really urge you to read some more if you haven't already read them and re-read them if you need to.
You are having the right response there by saying to yourself 'sit tight all will be ok', and it will, ignore the scales and give yourself tons of praise for being 100% that's the most important part of the diet, actually doing it, you're doing it and it's working its magic.
gotta go, back soon

Thanks Chels and Lelly.

@ Chels, the sts I can handle, the GAINS not so sure. I did read your diary and it has helped, I am just venting I think and tantrum-ing, the gain gave me a scare.

@ Lelly, thanks for wise words, I do know that you've had gains for odd reasons and that does give me hope. I just didn't know it was possible on SS, but I guess I can always be a trailblazer! What advice would you give to someone who has stalled so much on SS Lelly? 810 or sit tight? I need to pull some confidence out of somewhere today as the wagon ride is feeling bumpy all of a sudden.

xxx

Hi Katy, sorry you are sad and it is really confusing when something like this happens, struggled so so badly on Saturday and never gave in yet I gained weight.... I couldn't understand either which is why I had a soup and a piece of chicken yesterday, I didn't feel it was worth carrying on 100% only to get a gain..... in fact this morning I weight more than Friday morning.... er how?

Just a note about walking, this is how your body works..... you walk further than you would normally do, you use your muscles more, now muscles always weigh the same, people say oh yes you weigh more as you have built muscle, but what actually happens is with exercise your muscles hold water, so if you did more walking Sunday, your muscles will hold more water than the day before, thus making you weigh more...... so yes exercise is good for us but we will have a gain because of the water being retained..... hope this makes sense.

I am also losing weight more slowly this time around, in October when I was doing CD I lost so slowly I gave up, I couldn't understand why I had starved myself for a 1lb a week weight loss and I gave up after 4 weeks, now if I had of kept on I would be at goal now and I am now further away than I was then, so dont give up, do whatever you need to keep on some kind of plan and eat sensibly/healthily and if this means moving up the plans do it, but if you can stick to SS for one more week, I would do that just to see if you have a sudden whoosh in weight loss before your next official WI.

Thanks Greeneyes. The exercise thing is interesting, didn't know that. And the comment about stopping before Xmas because of slow losses... that one has really hit home. I will not stop, not a chance. Thanks Greeneyes... I am thinking you are right and if I possibly can will wait till end of week before switching up to 810, after all it may feel very different by then. I don't see my CDC till Weds 9th, so almost 3 weeks between her WIs this time... not sure I can last that long on SS, we will see.

Thanks and hugs to all who've responded, feeling a bit calmer and less upset.

xxx

Dredges up a smile and a teaspoonful of enthusiasm...

Monday: things to be glad about.

the smell of woodsmoke when I feed a log into the woodburner
CD chocolate orange bars
emails bringing nice news about work-stuff
my late Xmas prezzie (yes, still!)
birds outside the window
fruits of the forest flavour mousse just gone into fridge for later
being 12lbs down

Not so bad after all, huh?

xxx

Back