Katycakes Won't Give Up...

Lol Alli, sounds like a bargain! I was thinking of a GI version of SW, if that is possible! As a veggie, last time I ate a LOT of rice on SW and would need to make it less carby I think. I keep thinking WW is not for me, too complicated and alot of pre-made foods that never seem appealing to me, but I don't actually know. SW did work, until i stopped doing it.

A bit of me thinks, could I just do my own healthy eating wholefood plan, but not too sure if i have the willpower for that right now. Need to get my head straight again.

:party0016::party0016::party0016::party0016:

xxx

Oh the WW meals are just a marketing ploy for them to make money. I don't use them - I don't eat ready meals full stop - apart from the odd pizza and ready made soup.
WW is really just calorie counting, but they have recently updated their points so that carbs are also taken in to account - basically low GI food is marginally lower in points than high GI foods even at the same calorie value. I cook food for the family so can't faff about having special meals for me. In the past week I've had Butternut Squash risotto, Spag bols, Cottage pie as well as tonight's curry.

Green days on SW sounds like a good plan! I did a trawl through Amazon for diet books and there's even a low carb diet for vegetarians - sounds OK but lots of tofu which could be substituted by quorn I guess.

I've just eaten a chicken curry from an old SW recipe - so yummy and completely free on the SW Extra Easy plan (unfortunately not free on WW - but still low).

Personally I couldn't device my own healthy eating plan. I've done that so many times and I've always ended up putting on weight. That's for maintenance - for now I need rules and limits set for me! :rolleyes:

Lol Alli, sounds like a bargain! I was thinking of a GI version of SW, if that is possible! As a veggie, last time I ate a LOT of rice on SW and would need to make it less carby I think. I keep thinking WW is not for me, too complicated and alot of pre-made foods that never seem appealing to me, but I don't actually know. SW did work, until i stopped doing it.

A bit of me thinks, could I just do my own healthy eating wholefood plan, but not too sure if i have the willpower for that right now. Need to get my head straight again.

:party0016::party0016::party0016::party0016:

xxx

i'm also a vegetarian and i think that's why i struggle so much. i can't just sit down to meat as my main protein. i need to plan vegetarian style, this is harder i think. i've been vegetarian for 20 years this june.

Personally I couldn't device my own healthy eating plan. I've done that so many times and I've always ended up putting on weight. That's for maintenance - for now I need rules and limits set for me! :rolleyes:

Same here, several times over!

thanks Alli... the low carb book sounds good, & love tofu... I didn't think of amazon, will look. WW, I have always thought there was lots of ready meals and it put me off, I don't like all that. It's funny when they keep the diet details secret (so you have to pay) because sometimes you get totally the wrong idea! Really appreciate the input Alli, you have earned your virtual G & Ts, mine are virtual Baileys, seing as cals are no object...

Great Things, it does make things harder sometimes. For me it's been a terrifying 34 years... and now I will retreat because I suddenly feel scarily ancient!

xxx

@ Bess, yes, I know... that voice that tells you you can do it... I am trying to ignore! I can't even do what CD tells me these days, and the rules are pretty clear, so setting myself in charge... not just yet, alas.

xxx

Keep thinking Katy. :hug99: I do SW low GI-ish with wholegrain pasta and brown rice, it's what we usually have and I prefer it, esp. the rice - yum. All is not lost, many routes to a goal, or a mix of them. xx

DAY 62

Scales, 12st 1. Sigh.

Yesterday battled all day with binge-demons, didn't give in but did eat off-plan (as I am not totally sure what the plan IS this was probably always going to happen.) OH is off work this week so thanks to him really that I didn't end up marinating myself in a vat of chocolate. I have to take mum to town today and spent much of yesterday planning secret sugar-fests and buying bad stuff, but have woken up today feeling loads better and wondering what that was all about.

Throat still achey, but head clear and slept till 5.30 which is my usual really. Feel SO much better for it. I am still bunged up but just so much better than the last few days. Have started off with echinacea, zinc & vit C and a choc shake, and the plan to make some decisions today and actually DO the research I need to rather than just worry about it. I also feel like I can walk/ exercise again without wanting to cry... last few days have been so wiped out it wasn't even an option.

So. Sun trying to filter through, freezing, and busy day ahead, but here I come. Watch out, world!

xxx

Morning Katy,

Not sure how I fell so far behind on your thread, but I think you are on the right track if that helps. A low GI diet is the healthiest way to lose and maintain your weight.

My DH started The South Beach Diet on January 2nd (it was developed by cardiologist as a healthy heart diet for patients, and weight loss was a side effect!).

My DH is only 5'6" and started at about 14.1 stones. He now weighs 12 stone (spot on). He has lost over 25 pounds in 9 weeks. He had his biggest loss the first week, like most people, and then lost steadily at 3 pounds a week for the next 6, and has slowed to 2. As you get closer to healthy BMI, with any diet, you are likely to have your losses slow (takes fewer calories to operate your body). Rather than cut calories, he is adding in exercise (which he had not been doing!).

In the South Beach Diet there are three phases -- Phase One -- 2 weeks. You detox/decarb and break your sugar, white bread, etc. addiction. Phase Two - Eat a low carb/low GI diet with lots of Low GI veggies and protein (can be very Veggie friendly). Phase Three -- You reintroduce foods to ascertain your "sensitivity to them" -- and learn which ones cause you to gain more easily, trigger cravings, etc. You figure out what you can eat and in what quantities in order to maintain your weight.

The South Beach diet compliments Beck's programme quite well. My husband expects to be moving onto Phase Three by Easter, and fully intends to do the entire programme. He wants to formulate a plan for maintaining his losses.

I know it is easy to cook for this diet, as I have been preparing his meals. One of the things I have been doing -- because like Beth and GT we have portion control issues -- is I carefully measure his Carb foods (like whole wheat pasta) using Rosemary Conley portion control pots. This are so useful.

I hope that you find something that works for you. I am able to cook these meals for my entire family. The other night I made South Beach burgers (you could make veggies ones), and my son had his on whole wheat pita, but DH has his without bread (like a chopped steak). He doesn't miss the bread at all anymore.

When he gets to goal and is maintaining, I expect that he will have to continue to limits things like bread (because it is high GI and he will eat too much).

MM

Glad you're feeling better and sound more upbeat. Hope you have a good day.

I'm about to sit down for a cuppa. DD, 14 off to school after one our that skirt's wayyyyy too short/tight for school debates. DS, 7 back to school after being off yesterday. He's getting his school photo taken today, he left the house looking all smart and hair neat as usual, he often doesn't come home looking like that, think he puts as much paint on himself as on paper, lol. Better get myself organised for going into the office, hopefully not all day.

Morning Katy, glad you are feeling better today, I always feel better when the sun is out even if it is bitterly cold. I have tons of WW cook books with delicious recipes in that I cook for the whole family when I am eating and they all love them, there are also vegetarian sections in the books so all good there too....

Hope your binge demons stay where they belong today and that you have a good happy day xxx

Thanks guys... have almost bitten the bullet... hoping it's a low cal one! Off out soon so will check in later. I feel so much better, like clouds are clearing away from my head.

xxx

Good morning Katy, glad you are feeling a little calmer this morning and stop with all the feeling a fraud/being kicked out of here nonsense. I'm not having it!!! ;)

I was in the same kind of place that you are now, all of last year. The plan??? No plan whatsoever. I reckon I did every diet imaginable just over the course of one day!!! I was very confused, utterly miserable and frightened......thinking this was it for me. Sometimes you just need to take a bit of time out. I did...I decided to do absolutely nothing until my accommodation/financial worries were sorted out, get the NYE celebrations out of the way then go for it.....in time for the wedding/cruise.

Maybe you just need to give yourself a break. Everything in moderation, nothing off-limits. Stop fighting with yourself. I do so understand the battle you are having. Really I do......just can't put it into words very well. :cry:

Love and hugs xxx

I think I will call it changing track, or travelling on a different wagon rather than falling off the CD one. I will run my wagon so close alongside yours that we can all chat, and hold hands when we need to, and if it ever comes to it I can always jump back over!

This morning I signed up to SW online, and at lunchtime I had lunch in town with mum, a baked potato with baked beans. No butter, green salad, left the grated carrot and about 1/4 potato and 1/4 of beans just in case it was too much. It felt so good to be eating 'normally' again. Sadly i haven't worked up the steps as I wanted to but I do have CD stuff still so will eat one of those a day, and factor it in to the overall plan. I won't be posting food choices here, may get a diary over on SW, but I DO want to keep my diary here because I need you guys, & this journey would be very lonely without the wagon train!

I am hoping that SW will be a less stressful place for me, so wish me luck. I know I am looking at an initial gain for the carb bounce, but hope to stay as low carb as I can, have bought quinoa & brown rice, & will eat as protein rich as I can. Mel, thanks so much for input, will choose SB for my Beck back-up diet, you make it sound very do-able. So the losses for me will be slow, I know, but then they've been painfully slow for a month or more now as I have repeatedly fallen off wagon and put on & lost the same few lbs.

This way, I am hoping that once I am past the carb bounce I can push into some new territory. We'll see. As a 2nd line of attack, have dug out a pedometer and will wear it from tomorrow and see if it can motivate me on the exercise front.

Later in week OH & I have a few days away, staying with friends, so hoping I can stay on track and get familiar again with SW quickly enough to steer a steady course.

Thanks all of you for your endless patience and brilliant support and advice.

xxx

I think I will call it changing track, or travelling on a different wagon rather than falling off the CD one. I will run my wagon so close alongside yours that we can all chat, and hold hands when we need to, and if it ever comes to it I can always jump back over!
I rather like the sound of that.....two wagons rolling along, side by side. Chatting and hand-holding along the way :)
This morning I signed up to SW online, and at lunchtime I had lunch in town with mum, a baked potato with baked beans. No butter, green salad, left the grated carrot and about 1/4 potato and 1/4 of beans just in case it was too much. It felt so good to be eating 'normally' again. Sadly i haven't worked up the steps as I wanted to but I do have CD stuff still so will eat one of those a day, and factor it in to the overall plan. I won't be posting food choices here, may get a diary over on SW, but I DO want to keep my diary here because I need you guys, & this journey would be very lonely without the wagon train!
I am so pleased you have done this Katy. I am sure SW will be a lot easier for you and well done on the lunch choices. I do understand that you will want to be in touch with your fellow SWers but pleased don't forget about us. We would miss you so much if you didn't post your diary on here too. I dare say there will be a lot of 'copying and pasting' going on, so you are not endlessly repeating yourself!
I am hoping that SW will be a less stressful place for me, so wish me luck. I know I am looking at an initial gain for the carb bounce, but hope to stay as low carb as I can, have bought quinoa & brown rice, & will eat as protein rich as I can. Mel, thanks so much for input, will choose SB for my Beck back-up diet, you make it sound very do-able. So the losses for me will be slow, I know, but then they've been painfully slow for a month or more now as I have repeatedly fallen off wagon and put on & lost the same few lbs.

This way, I am hoping that once I am past the carb bounce I can push into some new territory. We'll see. As a 2nd line of attack, have dug out a pedometer and will wear it from tomorrow and see if it can motivate me on the exercise front.

Later in week OH & I have a few days away, staying with friends, so hoping I can stay on track and get familiar again with SW quickly enough to steer a steady course.

Thanks all of you for your endless patience and brilliant support and advice.

xxx
A weekend with OH and friends sounds ideal and at least with SW you won't feel like you are excluded.

Have a lovely, relaxing time, go easy on yourself and all will be well. xxxx

Lol Chels, don't even know if I will do a SW diary, might wait and see how I go. There is no danger I will be posting less here, so no escape!

xxx

Half of the battle is actually deciding what to do diet wise, I think so good for you for deciding which way to go. How blissful to be able to eat proper, wholesome food but all within a plan.
I have gone the other way and back on CD as of yesterday (apart form unplanned mini eggs/cookie incident last night) but as far as im concerned, I needed :-(. Onwards and upwards sweet Katy xxx

Thanks Sleepy. (And yes, sometimes the choc is fine in the great scheme of things, and today is a new day.)

I have tried and tried and been unable to stick to CD over the last 4 weeks, so rather than run my confidence into the ground and repeatedly bash my head against a brick wall, Plan B. I am still investigating, but so far so good. Never has deciding what to have for tea felt so good!

Big hugs Sleepy, meant to reply to your comment yesterday or day before, but have been full of the cold and majorly confused too... I appreciated it though. You will be fine Sleepy, I know you will.

xxx

oh so glad you've made the choice to do what you feel you need, its already taking the pressure off by the sounds of it hun, enjoy SW, it'll be like a wonderful array of tastes after this hun xx (not that cd doesn't taste good but so many more choices for you).

Back