Kaz's vegan food diary

Back again after a very traumatic weekend with teenage daughter - I've managed to stay on track and not reach for the crisps and biscuits. Yesterday's dinner was a bit of a disaster - I tried the quinoa and kale stew out of AFR book although I did substitute spring greens for the kale. I'm sure if you liked quinoa (which I'm not sure I do) it would have been an ok meal. The kids moaned and pushed it round their plates so I guess I wont be doing that again!

I've quite enjoyed the food today:

Breakfast: mango, nectarine, pineapple and blueberries with 250ml rice milk (HExA)
Lunch: salad - 20 cashew nuts (HExB), lettuce, cucumber, radishes, spring onion, tomato and a couple of baby potatoes, light salad cream (2syns)
Dinner: Cranberry Biryani and Aubergine curry (both recipes from AFR). Used another 20 cashews (HExB) and 4 syns for 1oz dried cranberries

KazGoa65 said:
Back again after a very traumatic weekend with teenage daughter - I've managed to stay on track and not reach for the crisps and biscuits. Yesterday's dinner was a bit of a disaster - I tried the quinoa and kale stew out of AFR book although I did substitute spring greens for the kale. I'm sure if you liked quinoa (which I'm not sure I do) it would have been an ok meal. The kids moaned and pushed it round their plates so I guess I wont be doing that again!

I've quite enjoyed the food today:

Breakfast: mango, nectarine, pineapple and blueberries with 250ml rice milk (HExA)
Lunch: salad - 20 cashew nuts (HExB), lettuce, cucumber, radishes, spring onion, tomato and a couple of baby potatoes, light salad cream (2syns)
Dinner: Cranberry Biryani and Aubergine curry (both recipes from AFR). Used another 20 cashews (HExB) and 4 syns for 1oz dried cranberries

That sounds really nice, quinoa is one thing I haven't tried yet is it anything like couscous ?

Hope things are a little less stressful
X

It's been awesome to read your diary - I'm ordering AFR come payday (despite not being vegan yet I love Isa's books!) and it's great to get a 'lil sneak preview of some of the recipes :) x

It's been awesome to read your diary - I'm ordering AFR come payday (despite not being vegan yet I love Isa's books!) and it's great to get a 'lil sneak preview of some of the recipes :) x

I have made quite a few from AFR now - love it :)

Glad you're enjoying the diary and I look forward to hearing your favourites from AFR. I made the brussells sprouts bubble and squeak type thing tonight and it was gorgeous - had it with some vegan sausages and mushrooms

Thanks Kel, they actually got worse but I had a fantastic 6lb weight loss today so its not all bad :happy036:

That sounds really nice, quinoa is one thing I haven't tried yet is it anything like couscous ?

X

Its hard to describe quinoa - i dont find it as tasty as couscous. My first experience with it was a few years ago while I was doing Gillian McKeith's diet - she makes a quinoa porridge and unfortunately mine ended up in the bin. Its supposed to be packed with protein so I'm gonna hang on in there in the hope it will grow on me.

Weigh in today and very happy with my 6lb off. Short term goal was to lose 1stone by 1st August for my hols and I'm well on track for that now!
Only had time for dinner today but hopefully back to normal tomorrow
I love brussels sprouts but nobody else in the house does - thought I'd try the brussels sprout potato hash from APR. I counted 1 tbsp olive oil (HExB) as I found it needed more than the recipe suggested to stop it from sticking to the pan. Had it with 2 fry's sausages (3syns), mushrooms, beans and sweetcorn. Would definitely do it again although I did find it a bit 'greasy' - maybe because I used too much oil or I'm just not used to cooking with oil anymore.

the frys are not free then? do you know the syn value or the chicken burgers and hotdogs? :)

the frys are not free then? do you know the syn value or the chicken burgers and hotdogs? :)

I'll have a look Kel and get back to you. I had read somewhere that Fry's sausages were free but when I worked out the syn value online they were quite high (i only count 1½ syns per sausage cuz that's the general value for veggie sausages)

KazGoa65 said:
I'll have a look Kel and get back to you. I had read somewhere that Fry's sausages were free but when I worked out the syn value online they were quite high (i only count 1½ syns per sausage cuz that's the general value for veggie sausages)

Ahhh cheers kaz I'm v confused by the frys Syn values as I read different things, wish syns online would just list their products :)

Hope you're ready for the bad news Kel???
Have just checked all nutritional value on the Fry's website and then used the syn calculator on SW website

1 chicken burger = 7 syns
1 traditional sausage = 3 syns
1 hot dog = 6 syns
1 traditional burger = 6 syns

I'm not sure which brand of veggie sausage SW have calculated at 1½ syn but its not Fry's :doh:

Hadn't planned food for today so was a bit out of sorts. Anyway, this is what I came up with:

Breakfast - banana, melon, blueberries, sharon fruit, 250ml rice milk (HExA)
Lunch - baked potato, beans and salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion)
Dinner - wholemeal pitta (HExB), lemon & coriander hummus (HExB), lettuce, onion, Seabrook's salted crisps (8½ syns)

KazGoa65 said:
Have just checked all nutritional value on the Fry's website and then used the syn calculator on SW website

1 hot dog = 6 syns

I'm not sure which brand of veggie sausage SW have calculated at 1½ syn but its not Fry's :doh:

Hadn't planned food for today so was a bit out of sorts. Anyway, this is what I came up with:

Dinner - wholemeal pitta (HExB), lemon & coriander hummus (HExB), lettuce, onion, Seabrook's salted crisps (8½ syns)

Omg really? I put the chicken burger through and got 2.5 each and hot dogs at 5 I think? Oh dear I had two chicken burgers this week oops lol

Omg really? I put the chicken burger through and got 2.5 each and hot dogs at 5 I think? Oh dear I had two chicken burgers this week oops lol
I put the values per 100g and then at the end put the burger or sausage weight (80g or 47.5g) - not sure if that's right or not????

1 hot dog = 6 syns

You havent entered any meat substitute as a free food so it's calculated it at a straight 1 syn per 20 calories. Ive just run them through the calculator and they come out as:

1 chicken burger = 2 Syns
1 traditional sausage = Free
1 hot dog sausage = 2½ Syns
1 traditional burger = Free

ermintrude said:
You havent entered any meat substitute as a free food so it's calculated it at a straight 1 syn per 20 calories. Ive just run them through the calculator and they come out as:

1 chicken burger = 2 Syns
1 traditional sausage = Free
1 hot dog sausage = 2½ Syns
1 traditional burger = Free

Lol thanks nic mine did come up something like that! Scared me to death with chicken burger value kaz lol

Back