KD's Porridge appreciation thread

KD

Gone fishing
Basic porridge

30g oats
150ml skimmed milk (approx)

bung together. Give quick stir. Put bowl into microwave and zap for 2.5-3 minutes. Add sweetener/honey/brown sugar to taste.

Microwaves timings vary. If it turns out too thick, add some cold milk. Too thin...just zap it for a bit longer.

About 150 cals (depending on the sweetener)

If you don't want to weigh the oats each time, weigh them once and find a suitable cup to use for future measurements :)

Of course, you could use oats so simple, but it's fiddly, and very expensive compared to oats.

Last edited:
Variations (please feel free to add your own)

Some sultanas, honey and cinnamon. Yummm. I love cinnamon and helps keep the blood sugars stable

I'll be secondary member of the porridge appreciation society, after the popularity on a recent thread of mine. Love the stuff :D

Add a handful of frozen berries before cooking. Again, very low calorie and will add fibre, flavour and make the porridge a very fetching shade of purple:cool:

Rhubarb is lovely with porridge. Tinned is probably less fiddly.

Add 1/4 tin to the porridge before cooking. Rhubarb is very low calorie and gives a slight tang amongst the creaminess.

I also like to add a little ginger :) Oh and a little vanilla too if you have some :)

When i'm not on CD i LURVE porridge and love a few dried apricots cut into lil pieces thrown in.

My MIL loves chopped pears in hers, and my skinny sister adds JAM to hers!

It will be my brekkie of choice when i get to goal xxx

Now i want porridge :(

I love porrige - always have. That's why I messed about with PH in 2006 and came up with the CD porrige substitute (can I patent it?? :p)

Not NEARLY as good as the real thing but a passable substitute until I'm back on real food :)

PS
I usually throw some berries in before cooking the real stuff too ... makes them really plump and yummy.
Top with a drizzle of honey and ...... OH MUMMY!!!!!

Sliced banana is nice too. As is a little muesli stirred in.

I bet it would be nice with a sachet of 'Option' added :)

You can also add yoghurt, any dried fruits or nuts. Tinned fruit (drained), grated apple or pear, pomegranate seeds, cocoa powder, golden syrup, honey, brown or white sugar etc. Obviously not all at once :D

Do you know I've even got a BOOK all about the history of porrige with nothing but oaty recipes etc.

Yes ... it's official - I am sad. ;)

Do you know I've even got a BOOK all about the history of porrige with nothing but oaty recipes etc.

Yes ... it's official - I am sad. ;)

LOL. Yes....bless you.

Great thing about porridge is you can add virtually anything sweet to it. My foster parents used to put salt on it. Yuck. A scots tradition I think?

Nice cold soaked overnight in milk, yoghurt or just apple juice with added apple, dried fruit and nuts :clap:

So....any other interesting combinations in your book RD?

I like it with either blueberries or dried apricots.

Salt on porridge is indeed a Scots thing :)

We have also been known to pour it into a drawer and leave it to harden overnight to be cut into squares for snacks for our men to take with them when they went out to hunt haggis.

I even have a spurtle, which is a special stick for stirring porridge with.

We're redecorating / carpeting and I have a feeling it's packed in a box - but as soon as I locate it, I'll share some of what's in it :)

We have also been known to pour it into a drawer and leave it to harden overnight to be cut into squares for snacks for our men to take with them when they went out to hunt haggis.

Oh...ummm....don't think I'm quite ready to try that :D

Back