Keeping a food diary on my phone

TeresaTT

I find keeping a food diary really useful but hate having to write in a book as my handwriting is terrible and often I forget to write down straight away what I've had but remember later when my diary isn't to hand. A food diary has to be quick and easy to use and instantly accessable where ever I am or I won't always use it and it won't be accurate for keeping track of syns.

So I've just found a great app for my Android phone called myDAY Journal by Peak Small Business. It goes straight to the current date and shows me all my entries for the day and I can easily add entries or edit existing ones. Each entry has a time with it which is automatically set to the current time when you enter it or you can change it. I can easily move from day to day or select a calendar view and pick a date from that.

I tried other journal apps but they were much more complicated than I needed. This one is nice and simple and means I can jot down whatever I have to eat and drink where ever I happen to be and I don't need internet access to use it.

Hopefully this might help someone else who has trouble keeping a food diary up to date.

I've just realised that there are a lot of apps already out there for recording this sort of thing, but they all seem to need you to select things from lists, enter quantities etc. While that gives you more useful information I know that I won't be bothered with all the hassle. The journal app that I'm using means that I can very quickly jot down what I've had. This means I'm more likely to use it all the time.

Sounds neat but for those who want something even simpler there is a note app on my iTouch that I assume is on iPhones etc. I use it for shopping lists and now for food notes too.

I couldn't possibly subject my lovely consultant to my awful handwriting! :)

Pinkerbell said:
Sounds neat but for those who want something even simpler there is a note app on my iTouch that I assume is on iPhones etc. I use it for shopping lists and now for food notes too.

I couldn't possibly subject my lovely consultant to my awful handwriting! :)

I use notes on my iPhone. I been have made a template which just splits out meals and copy it in so I just write the date at the top of the page

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I just made a Google Docs document that looks like the normal food diary on my laptop, then access it using the Docs app on my Android phone. At the end of the week I print it out and give it to my consultant.

I only do a diary for myself to keep track of what I'm having.

There are lots of ways to do this but if you're editing a document on your phone you have to open the app, open your document (unless you can have a shortcut to your document), scroll to the end and then type. With this app it takes only three taps to get to entering text and then one more tap to save. The date and time is automatically added and then I can easily see all my entries for a given day. It is also possible to email your whole diary although it doesn't look pretty.

I tried doing a diary on my PC but as I'm not always near it, I didn't always update it.

Basically I'm just lazy and I want to be able to keep a diary with as little bother as possible. :)

Back