Keeping it off

msblonde

a new way of living!
Hi all,

Well I was going to have a misery rant just now, but then I read and replied to a few posts and as usual good old mini's has cheered me up.

So instead of sharing tales of woe (went blackberry picking, made jam, ate about 2 teaspoons, and feel washed out of grouchy = prob broken ketosis and i'll feel better later)

I have decided to ask a very important question...

One I failed to answer first time round with LT, and I beleive I am not alone there.

What are your plans of keeping the weight off?

after the jam, I realised that eating sugar makes you hungry, ketosis or not, sugar is bad for weight loss, weight maintenance, and defo bad for health.

and fat makes you fat (quoted from LT literature)

so - is that chicken salad for ever? (for want of a more complex description of a low carb. low fat, diet) or mostly chicken salad with a varied diet thrown in?

what works for one - really may not work for another, so , how do we do this?

I have had ideas, no chocolate, no booze, if I bake and eat some, I'll be careful after etc...

but for me, those come under good intentions that I have always had, and broken.

so - well for me and for us all, what do we have to do different this time? we all know we cant go back to pizza, chips, chocolate, booze and cake and keep the weight off.

So I am all ears for any other mini management tips :)

hope you are all havng a great day, keep away from the jam!

Hi MsBlonde
Just a thought on it all I hve Two
v slim sisters and one did lipotrim and micro
manages everything she eats with a little
exercise The other girl eats mainly protein
and is v controled too both in their 40s
I hve had the same experience most of
my life except for recently when I threw
caution to the wind and three stone later Im
on lipotrim !
So I suppose it's watching what u eat for the
rest of your life ! x

Hey msblonde ... dont worry about the slip on the sugar - obviously you know what you have done and you know you can just move on from it. Im very new to LT .. only on day 3 but Im feeling loads better today than I did yesterday when there were floods of tears ... but today is much better .

I have a friend who was on LT and came off it and has maintained his weight - his philosophy, which I completely agree with, is that the LT changes your attitude to food anyway. If you think about it - most of us do this diet for 1-3 months and really all we are doing is feeding for survival with these shakes, the pleasure of eating is taken away and we eat/drink these shakes because we have to and because it's all we have. I have felt my attitude changing already that when I finish this diet I know that after all this hard work, sacrifices and torture - I wont want to just eat, for lack of a better word, crap! I ate crap before and all it gave me was an extra 4 stone to carry around!

I know when I come off the diet, I will eat much more healthily and I think I will only eat when Im hungry - not because I just want to and theres nothing better to do - like I did before. I will make wiser choices with my food, like opting for healthier meals when Im out etc because I wont want to have to go through LT again, Im sure of that!

And, when we do indulge, and treat ourselves to that once a month pizza or to a lavish rich meal out, we know that will go straight back into fat if we dont work it off, or at least make sensible food options for the next week or so to keep it off.

It's not about never being able to indulge again but it's about knowing when to stop and knowing your limits and what you will do to "give",ie exercise, have a healthy week, when you "take". This has always been my problem. I think after LT, I wont have a problem with that.

Thats my opinion anyway ... I hope Im right although Im yet to see!

we all know we cant go back to pizza, chips, chocolate, booze and cake and keep the weight off.

Am afraid i have to disagree!
We all know we can't go back to the quantities we used to eat of all these foods but after losing weight there is no reason why you can't have the food you love.

Moderation is the key!

Have a nose on over to JanD's diary in the maintainence section - she has maintained for over a year now. Doesn't live off chicken salads. Has what she wants in moderation.

I really belive if you are fully determined to keep the weight off you will :)

thanks all - I must admit I did maintain for about 3 1/2 months after LT last time, it did change my tastes, and I was more careful, did more exercise etc, the stuff you think of at the start of LT 'OMG I am never doing this again, never getting fat again...'

the trouble is, although I agree with all of your comments, (thanks for taking the time, its the sharing opinions that helps us determine what is best for us, and hearing others thoughts etc) I failed last time.

Here is how it went, (and I hope this isn't boring drivel):
got fat
got fed up
did LT
had an epiphany
came off LT after 14 weeks and 38lb loss
did cambridge for a month, quite badly
started eating 3 healthy meals a day with the odd treat
so far so good, was only 4lbs heavier, and felt quite happy
started weight watchers to lose the rest (another stone ish) with food
lost the 4lbs
along came christmas, indulged in what I thought was moderation...

gained 10lbs
started losing but struggling losing motivation etc.. was maintaining...

fell down the stairs and broke my back(spinal stenosis t10), had major surgery, dr's did a miracle and fixed me, 14 weeks later I am walking again.

during that 14 weeks, I was depressed, angry, fed up, lucky, grateful, resentful - any emotion you can imagine. and hungry. I had a hole in my soul, not my tummy. I had to deal with family issues, fall outs, death of a friend, losing my job, not getting support from DSA, the fact we had to put life on hold and cancel our plans to move house and marry, just 'stuff'.:sigh:

2 1/2 stone heavier later.. we move house (and county), set a date for wedding, get a job (well 3 to be honest) start college, my mom has a stroke, keiths uncle a heart attack... blah blah, typical life stuff that happens, right...

but when life throws a curve ball, I hit the fridge and the cookie jar.:cry:

so how do we maintain, weight, sanity, stress levels, how do we manage when we can't be bothered, because some really important event has hapened that needs our full attention.

when we take our eye of the ball, and decide, sod it! I dont care, I just need to get through this right now. and lets face it, we have all had it, we prob woundn't be on here otherwise.

how do we manage when the rest of life is so unmanageable that we stop caring and start eating?

how do we maintain for life?

How do you make yourself a priority when your life or your family or your work is trying to say otherwise?:confused:

I'm sorry to be difficult and ask hard questions, these examples are not from 'my lifetime' these are from just the past 18 months, or is it just my life that feels like a demented rollercoaster on crack?

(ps, wedding in 5 1/2 weeks):D

I actually really quite like your posts and the questions you ask - it really makes people think.

I believe you should always look after number 1 (you) .... i have always been told that since I was little and even though i let myself get morbidly obese after losing the weight i realised i had to look after myself, i had to care about my health and i had to do it for me.

Its very hard not to turn to the cookie jar when life throws you a curve ball but its another step after losing the weigh that we have to over come. Its not easy and in my personal opinion maintaining the weight loss is the hardest thing ive ever had to do but its a struggle and with time im sure everyone can and will do it.

Even just the once, when you're thrown a curve ball if you don't hit the jar thats an acheivement.

Do you like or can you do any exercise? im not sure if your able with having broken your back (very very well done by the way for getting back on your feet - now there is a curve ball that required sheer determination and look, you done it and got back on your feet! :)) If so, even if its just a walk take yerself out of the situation, away from the cupboards etc. It will all help to steer clear of that cookie jar!

Failing that, just don't buy it - If it aint in the cupboards its not so easily accessable! :giggle:

You are right MsBlonde we all have a story
that brought us to this place and usually for me
Its an emotional attachment to food and I self
medicate with it and while I could keep it in order
most of my life when life really got in the way
my self medicating became addiction until one
day recently I realised I was actually punishing myself
because I had ended up in a place where I was
not happy with the way I looked or felt so I started
lipotrim and find it cathartic and I will take every emotional
problem one day at a time and hopefully carry that thought with me post Lt
and realise food is fuel x

Last edited:
Hiya, after lipotrim i am going to low carb,not total no carb but low carb... have a look on the atkins section on minimins, they have a recipie thread and it is fab (maybe dont look if you are on tfr as it all sounds so yummy.. I am going to eat slow release carbs in the morning, and no carbs after that, cut portions down and only drink at the weekends, no beer or wine, gin and slimline or vodka and diet... on a sunday i will have a roast with potatoes and all the trimmings... i defo recommend following alkins maintenace after tfr and refeed... xxx

Sounds good Tasha2000 Atkins seems like the
best option alright x

thanks summergurl, I think that was prob the best reply possible :)

Yeah op was a massive success, my spinal cord was being pinned to my bones by a disc that collapsed into it, I was incontinent, sexually dysfunctional, and numb down one side (from bra level ish down) and they told me the damange might be perm, and that I without surg I would be paralysed, and with surg I may be paralysed (or if really unlucky die) and by the way we need to operate asap (waited a week).
I had ten hours of surg (had to deflate a lung and move my heart to get to the damage), a week in ITU, 3 weeks flat on my back, 12 weeks off my feet, and in a corset, by the april I walked from the disabled car parking at the Nia to the dancing on ice live show (still in a corset, huge bloody plastic thing) and sat there with tears of pride streaming down my face, of having walked two hundred yards.

and I went from that sheer determination, to eating to fill an unfillable hole. I get so cross at myself. and now I am plain just scared that i'll do it all again, that i'll lose sight of what I need to be healthy, (and of course whats needed for my back's health).

Maybe, this time will be easier, as I wont be having to handle all the after effects of op, the psychological aftermath was/is huge. I am 39 now, was 38 when I fell, being that age and facing all that, was hard. I still blubber about it now! lol

time to move on I think! it was 18 months on aug 4th, its a noteable time lapse as that is when I can officially, with neurosurgeons blessings, start to exercise again.

bye bye cookie jar, hello trainers...:chores016:

its funny I was thinking the same, low carb, maybe no carb if I'd had a blow out or a special occasion meal, to compensate for a few days after, as least its eating and has a sense of control to it.

I will defo check out the recepie thread, all I am doing lately is looking for healthy recepies for after.

I have actually set a goal to come back from honeymoon lighter than when I go, even if only half a pound. I figured, with this in mind, if I did gain a little, it would literally be only a little, and may actually come back lighter.

I will try to control what I eat by mostly eating healthily. However, I will still have my favourite foods just in moderation. I love food and have no intention of ever depriving myself.

I will work to control my emotional link with food because I do not believe it is the food I ate which made me fat it was the quantity of that food. I can see myself now stuffing my face until I could barely move and was in pain :( I fully intend to enjoy every mouthful from now on, stop when I am satisfied and comfort myself when needed in other ways.

My personal thought is that staying slim involves knowing why we overeat in the first place and dealing with it.

All the best with maintaining your loss x

I don't think there is any more i can add to what you said in your post up there :) You are one massive acheivement in itself and you have every right to sit there and blubber when you think about it - i would too and im sure most other people would 'an all! :)

It's all one step at a time. Baby steps if we have to but each step counts and each step is one step closer to eventually being happy and content and being 'free' in the fact that we can actually maintain our weight :) It might take us a while, there will be ups and downs but eventually we will get there :D xxx

I have a plan that when I reach my ideal weight I will portion control my ass off, continue weekly weigh-ins, and if I get half a stone above that, start LT maintenance until I'm back where I belong. That way things are a bit flexible, and yet hopefully won't get so totally out of hand so that I have to lose 3.5 stones again, because it really really isn't fun doing that.

I also plan to throw ALL my fat clothes out (never been able to do that) so that I can't sneakily waltz back up the sizes like I've always done before, while fooling myself that a few pounds here or there doesn't matter.

i myself plan to follow the yummy slimming world plan, thisis a paln i realy love and have learned to cook some gorge dishes on so i know i can still enjoy the food, then one day a week im gona hve that big treat/takeaway etc, im gona watch my weight closely here, so i can see if im gaining i can cut down more,if im still loosing then i can add an extra treat, until i get to a place where i canmaintain, i hope it works

I honestly don't know as I am a classic yo yo dieter. For years I have gone on diets successfully lost 3/4 of the target weight and then put some on again, I actually expect it to happen now. Good post, i'm going to have to have a think ahead and have an idea for maintenance. xx

My experience last time coming off LT TFR was good maintenance for months and months then feeling invincible and gradually letting slip. The old eating habits started again and by the 1.5 yr mark the weight crept up such that I had regained half of the weight I'd lost by the 2 yr mark.
Lesson: maintenance means keeping those good eating habits lifelong!

Rather pathetically, I plan to create a spreadsheet (honestly, I'm not a boring maths geek with no friends....!) as I start to refeed, to monitor my calorie intake. I think we all know that we need to eat 3500 cals LESS than we need to get rid of every lb of fat - but who really knows exactly how many calories they need to live on?

For my refeed, I plan on continuing on 2 shakes a day plus an evening meal (low carb). I will also calorie count this - most low carb meals, when done sensibly, are 400-600 cals usually. Eg chicken breast, grilled with a cheese (high cal!), and lots of veggies plus a glass of pure fruit juice is about 600 cals. As each shake is 140 cals, that's a daily intake of 880 cals. I plan on doing that for at least a fortnight, possibly a month - and I will calorie count closely, and track my weight loss. From that I'll be starting to get a clearer idea of how many calories my body needs to live on - for example, if I'm eating say 900 cals a day, 1 week = 6300 cals. If I lose 2lbs in a week, then I'm not eating 'enough' calories to maintain a stable weight by 2 x 3500lbs = 7000lbs (or 1000lbs a day). Therefore my 'ideal' calorie intake per day for stable weight would be 1900 cals. However, if I'm losing more or less, it'll all help me build a picture.

THEN, when I'm happier about that, I will cut out my breakfast shake and either have porridge (slow release, low GI carbs) or scrambled eggs (no toast, but sometimes some shredded ham or smoked salmon). That's only about 200 cals for breakfast, and again won't break ketosis. So by this stage, I'd be eating around 800 cals plus drinking my lunchtime shake, so would be living off around 1000 cals. I could then experiment with low carb snacks to up my cals until I was maintaining rather than losing. I plan to stay on my lunchtime shake indefinitely as I really struggle with healthy lunches (fussy eater - I love a lot of 'healthy' food but only if it's cooked / hot, so salads are out!) and I think the shake will help stop me from slipping into the dangerous roads of school lunches (I'm a teacher) or chocolate!

Rather pathetically, I plan to create a spreadsheet (honestly, I'm not a boring maths geek with no friends....!) as I start to refeed, to monitor my calorie intake. I think we all know that we need to eat 3500 cals LESS than we need to get rid of every lb of fat - but who really knows exactly how many calories they need to live on?

For my refeed, I plan on continuing on 2 shakes a day plus an evening meal (low carb). I will also calorie count this - most low carb meals, when done sensibly, are 400-600 cals usually. Eg chicken breast, grilled with a cheese (high cal!), and lots of veggies plus a glass of pure fruit juice is about 600 cals. As each shake is 140 cals, that's a daily intake of 880 cals. I plan on doing that for at least a fortnight, possibly a month - and I will calorie count closely, and track my weight loss. From that I'll be starting to get a clearer idea of how many calories my body needs to live on - for example, if I'm eating say 900 cals a day, 1 week = 6300 cals. If I lose 2lbs in a week, then I'm not eating 'enough' calories to maintain a stable weight by 2 x 3500lbs = 7000lbs (or 1000lbs a day). Therefore my 'ideal' calorie intake per day for stable weight would be 1900 cals. However, if I'm losing more or less, it'll all help me build a picture.

THEN, when I'm happier about that, I will cut out my breakfast shake and either have porridge (slow release, low GI carbs) or scrambled eggs (no toast, but sometimes some shredded ham or smoked salmon). That's only about 200 cals for breakfast, and again won't break ketosis. So by this stage, I'd be eating around 800 cals plus drinking my lunchtime shake, so would be living off around 1000 cals. I could then experiment with low carb snacks to up my cals until I was maintaining rather than losing. I plan to stay on my lunchtime shake indefinitely as I really struggle with healthy lunches (fussy eater - I love a lot of 'healthy' food but only if it's cooked / hot, so salads are out!) and I think the shake will help stop me from slipping into the dangerous roads of school lunches (I'm a teacher) or chocolate!

wow hun thats sounds amazing, think im gona hve tocopy this hah

Copy away - it's just some thoughts I've had while I've been contemplating how I managed to pile on so much weight after losing successfully 2 years ago - most of my loss then was through low carb, with the last 1.5 stone via lipotrim. I then made the mistake of not doing a proper re-feed (unfortunately my refeed week would have fallen over Christmas, which made it difficult to go to the pharmacy with family staying and so on) and I don't think I was on LT long enough to really make major changes in eating habits. To be fair, I kept the weight off for 14 months despite still having some bad eating habits, but I really want this to be a lifestyle change and not a 'quick fix'.

Back