Keeping The Weight Off.... secrets to success??

Hopefully the one thing that will help me keep it off is the thought of having to start again on LT and having to do wk 1 again! My plan is to refeed then try healthy eating keeping to a low GI diet, if I feel like I'm struggling on my own then I'll be joining SW.
Treats will defo be once a week and only 1 meal, when I was on WW I'd be goodish in the wk then I'd have weekends off so I never really lost weight just STS! I'll also be keeping away from white bread/pasta/rice/cereals they really have no nutritional value what's so ever!
I'm actually excited now I've got a little plan :)

Shivie said:
None of my siblings have ever been overweight, blessed with lightening-fast metabolism they are, so I can't wait not to stand out as the fat sister anymore! Yippeee!

I'm excited about not being the fat friend....with nice hair! ;)

I think it's essential to have a plan and not think we are 'finished'. In a way the work really begins when we are at goal, as we have years (in my case 3 decades+ of behaviour that resulted in the excess weight.

So maybe the work really begins when we get to goal - this vlcd time is just prep for the time when we learn how to eat and live as a thin person.

Scales commitment:
Decide what variation is ok. I recall solemnly recording weight going up on WW on line system, and not taking action. How come? I must take action if the scales tick up. I'm a daily weigher when at home and will continue to be one. I am planning action if 2lbs up.

Pre planned dips:
I love the recommendation by a successful Alizonner of reducing a kg or so before a planned big celebration, rather than playing catch up afterwards. Somehow, I think it will be easier as you have the incentive of the extra special event/meal out/Xmas or whatever.

Eat light and early: I now make sure I have a shake before going family food shopping. I think this will be another rule for me - not to go food shopping or to a party without having some protein and water before I get there.

Love this thread - so important to think about maintaining before we get there. This must be part of what separates those successful at staying at goal from regainers. Thanks, LouLou.

Ali

I think it's essential to have a plan and not think we are 'finished'. In a way the work really begins when we are at goal, as we have years (in my case 3 decades+ of behaviour that resulted in the excess weight.

So maybe the work really begins when we get to goal - this vlcd time is just prep for the time when we learn how to eat and live as a thin person.

Scales commitment:
Decide what variation is ok. I recall solemnly recording weight going up on WW on line system, and not taking action. How come? I must take action if the scales tick up. I'm a daily weigher when at home and will continue to be one. I am planning action if 2lbs up.

Pre planned dips:
I love the recommendation by a successful Alizonner of reducing a kg or so before a planned big celebration, rather than playing catch up afterwards. Somehow, I think it will be easier as you have the incentive of the extra special event/meal out/Xmas or whatever.

Eat light and early: I now make sure I have a shake before going family food shopping. I think this will be another rule for me - not to go food shopping or to a party without having some protein and water before I get there.

Love this thread - so important to think about maintaining before we get there. This must be part of what separates those successful at staying at goal from regainers. Thanks, LouLou.

Ali
Your welcome Ali... and in complete agreement with you on all what you`ve said.... Its so important to me that this weight stays off!! I so need to address the reasons for over eating... never ever want to be a size 26 and 19 st 8lbs EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!
So like you say the REAL hard work begins when we are at Goal..... hence the need for this thread.
So many of us concentrate so hard ( and rightly so) on shifting the weight thru diets, BUT we forget to address the primary reason for needing to in the 1st place... we treat the effects but not the cause!! Then fall back into old habits.... NOT THIS TIME, NOT THIS GIRL!!! :D:D

Defo agree with all that's been said above. Regardless of what your new lifestyle diet or exercise plan is you need to keep an eye on your weight. Don't get freaked out by a gain of a few lb, as it may be gone a week later, but set yourself an upper limit and if you hit it then up the exercise and cut out the treats until you're back to target.

Book I found useful is 'Escape the diet trap' by Dr John Briffa (about £3 on Amazon kindle). It basically trawls the current research available and gives you lots of geek facts (particularly about what to do when you stall). Great thread loulou xxx

Shivie said:
Beautiful! So you literally are a shining example to us all babe! ;)

Haha Sparkle sparkle sparkle haha! Yep krystal peach - my mother was going through a hippie phase I think!
Xx

Louloubellehoney said:
:D:D:D Peachy my darling.... ALL of that makes everything Krystal clear lol :D:D bless you and LURVE your name.... XXX

Haha thanks Lou I do love my name even though I get asked a lot if I'm a stripper haha! Xx

Hey Lou :bighug:
I have a limit of where i won't let my weight get over which is 7 pounds over where i finished on LT. A couple of weeks ago i quite suddenly (bloody alcohol and weekends...) ended up nearly 13 pounds over finishing LT so i went back on a VLCD for 8 days. Not LT though, Slim and Save instead as it's not so restrictive. This got the weight back down and then i did my own little refeed and am now in the area i want to be again.
So just keep an eye on it and if need be just get back on it for a week to get you back in order. It's not ideally what people would say to do it for a short amount of time but it got shot of the carb cravings and meant that it was easy to eat better after it.
Good luck x

I really, really... REALLY need to learn to maintain!

I plotted my weight over the last 3 years on a graph ~ see my sig...

ARRRRHHHHGGGGG

This is a great thread with some fab tips. Well done everyone on your journey so far. I can't add much other than to say you can do this.
Planning for maintenance is very important. Keep up your water intake as it really will help. Watch portion sizes as it is so easy to start overeating again.
We maintain best when we change our attitudes to food. If we can do this then keeping the weight off is so much easier.
Find a plan that you feel will suit your lifestyle and stick with it. Don't give up after a week or two. It takes three weeks to establish a pattern.
Keep at it. We can keep the pounds at bay!!!

I`ve decided to give myself a 7lb buffer zone... or maybe even stretch it to a stone... to allow for any "naughtiness" now and again... BUT still need to decide on what plan i`m following after Lipotrim.
Undecided.... my mate recommends Patrick Holford.... anyone familiar? xxx

I read Patrick Holford and have been following GL principles to maintain my weight. I don't count Gls as he recommends as I found it too much like being on a diet. I just got familiar with good low GL choices and kept an eye on portion sizes till I found the balance that keeps the weight off.
Personally I love GL as I never feel deprived or that I am constantly dieting.

Yeah good idea Molly... I can`t do the high protein, low carb plans persay because I suffer with GOUT and high protein diets would mean I`d suffer!! :eek:
I don`t want that ty very much! Plus I have a Kidney Disease, so have to be careful diet wise with choice of foods for that as well..... not to mention the gallstones! But hopefully Gallbladder and stones be gone soon, so one less health issue to worry about!!
I think I`m going to have to adapt something like you have.... but the Gl plan is sounding to me like common sense and something I could do and stick with I think... anyway lol :rolleyes: will see...... Juts so scared of re~gaining to the point of daftness actually. Need to find a balance.... L xxxx

I have gout too!!! Since following Gi I have never had an attack. I also have a peptic ulcer and have never had an attack of it since starting Gi. So for me, GL rocks!!!

Oh well you just sealed the deal then... lol... must get the book from amazon asap.... cheers hun.
I havent had an attack of Gout since I stared Lipotrim... so took myslef off the new Anti~gout pills. I also cant take any pain killers cos of tummy and kidney probs :rolleyes: so i was in a right pickle before I was given this new drug by my consultant... was also alergic to Allopurinol....:rolleyes: difficult case to treat me!!! lol.... cheers though hun made my day :D xxx
I have gout too!!! Since following Gi I have never had an attack. I also have a peptic ulcer and have never had an attack of it since starting Gi. So for me, GL rocks!!!

Portions Lou, it's all about portions! I'm thinking anyone could maintain just by eating quite sensibly but half what they would normally eat. Obviously half a biscuit would not work but you get the gist! Lol!
And that's my diet thought of the day. Just wish I could stick to my own advice! X

Love this thread! Also love ali's point of losing a few lbs before you go for a special occasion where u know there will be lots of food.. You look fab for the occasion, can eat nice food and any weight you put on will take you back to your ideal!

:) Yup tis defo about portions sizing..... makes me sooo mad though that wherever you go its supersize this and supersize that!! Even at carvery pubs they now ask if you want King size or regular!!! Grrrrr.... anyway... I`ve been told not to eat any more that a fist size portion of meat and pots then more of the veg/salad on ya plate... and by fist size I mean YOUR OWN fist not your big bruiser of a hubby`s!! lol.... xxx

Lou I read that somewhere too! Even restaurants nowadays have huge portions people get decieved into thinking eating that much is normal!

Yup this is sooo true.... thats why we are getting bigger as a nation. At home I use my nan`s willow pattern plates cos they are the "old~fashioned" size.... everywhere is just geting bigger and bigger with everything... its mad... we are now in competition with America I think !!

Back