Keeping The Weight Off.... secrets to success??

Scary but true! The dinner plates of yesteryear are the side-plates of today!
I remember when I was in L.A. and three of us got ONE starter between us as a full meal and were stuffed!
And in Chicago I had to take about three-quarters of my dinner away in a doggy-bag as it was so humongous.
Portion sizes are definitely ridiculous these days.

Last edited:
What's GL diets

Hi,
Its eating carbs that are LOW GLYCAEMIC in other words low in sugars, as the more high sugar carbs you eat the more (if you have a tendency towards it) you`ll store fat! Thats it in simple terms.... google it hun and that will explain it better than ickle old me! Lol Patric holford has been around for a long while and there are many other low GI ( Glycaemic index) or now better version called GL (Glycameic Load)
Here is an excerpt from another page...
The Glycemic Index (GI) has been used for many years as guide to the rate at which carbohydrate content is absorbed into the blood stream for energy, and the effect it has on raising blood sugar levels. The Glycemic Index (GI) is a measure of the degree to which a carbohydrate is likely to raise your blood sugar (glucose) levels. The scale is 0 to 100 (based on either white bread or glucose), with 0 being low and 100 being high. The GI compares equal quantities of carbohydrates and provides a measure of carbohydrate quality but not quantity. So the drawback with GI ratings is that they are not based on commonly-consumed portion sizes of foods.

For example, only about 7% of a carrot is made up of are useable carbohydrates. But because a 50g carbohydrate content is employed as the standard measure for a GI rating of individual foods to show how fast blood sugar level are raised, a larger than normal food portion is used for the GI calculation. In the case of carrots, for example, the amount is equivalent to 1.5lbs - far more, of course, than people normally eat as a snack or part of a meal.

As a result, the GI rating often overstates relatively small carbohydrate content in a food item like a carrot.

The reverse is also true, i.e. the glycemic effects of foods containing a high percentage of carbs like bread, can often be understated under the GI system.

Therefore we recommend using the Glycemic Load index with calculations based upon realistic food portions. GL ranks food according to the effects of actual carbohydrate content in a standard serving size of food.
Hope that helps a little bit :)

Scary but true! The dinner plates of yesteryear are the side-plates of today!
I remeber when I was in L.A. and three of us got ONE starter between us as a full meal and were stuffed!
And in Chicago I had to take about three-quarters of my dinner away in a doggy-bag as it was so humongous.
Portion sizes are definitely ridiculous these days.

Something should be done about it... before its all far too late... :/

Thank you !!

I'm so new to all of this 'y knowledge really is quite poor ....

It really is a life change and I have so much to learn!! X

Your welcome hun.... this is a learning curve for us all as well, so much to remeember and learn about it can be confusing. That`s why I started this thread so all the lovelies could add their portions of info and Diet wisdom :) L xxx

I saw a good one on 'I used to be fat' the other day.... the trainer said to the lad....

If its pre-packaged.....your not eating it!!!!!

This is my new mantra!!!!!!

X

Reading someone's thread has made me think about the cakes at work thing.

So another essential tool in our kit bag is being able to say no with elegance and certainty and joining in the celebration with a cup of black coffee so people still feel good! I also remember that thin people often ask for a smaller slice!

Ali

Yeah little gems like that ya see... cheers Dee I think anything "processed" has to be bad... but ya have to weigh up the cost factor to eating "healthily" unfortunately it can be a bit more expensive sometimes... hate that... but tis true!! and yeah taking a leaf out of our skinny friends is good.... see shes havin the cake... BUT prob a considerably smaller peice and also not havin that 2nd peice "its sooo yummy another bit won`t hurt" we`ve all done it eh girls... ;) xxx

Or my personal favourite:
"I'll just eat the whole cake now so it'll be gone when I start my diet tomorrow and then I won't be tempted." :eating:

Been there, done that sooooooo many times *hangs head in shame* :eek:

Always a terrible idea Yellow!! Wow just looking at your stats there, you're doing brilliantly girl, well done! A fantastic first week for you. I know how hard Lipotrim can be and soooo strict. Did it last year to be a slim bridesmaid. Didn't think I'd regain but I did unfortunately. Finding Silim & Save a breeze compared to it!

Thanks shiv I was made up but can't wait till Monday to find out how much I've lost this week!!

Do you lose the same amount on slim n save as you did with lipotrim?

Well I've just lost 14lbs in 8 days so I can definitely say YES! In my case anyway. And you can have Coke Zero too so it seems like you're being a little naughty!

I was thinking of switching to dukan or atkins once I reach 16st but I think I might try slim n save instead then! Or do you think it would be better to reach goal weight first then switch?

Deezer's ban on processed food makes me think of another behaviour which supports us:

Pay for your petrol (if you can find any) with a credit card at the pump. That way you avoid any processed food or choc temptations at the till.

Ali

And:

Eat three meals a day and a small protein based snack or peice of fruit mid morning and mid afternoon

AND do not skip meals.

Regular good quality suitable food will help us avoid binges on high fat/processed foods cos we are starving!

Ali

I was thinking of switching to dukan or atkins once I reach 16st but I think I might try slim n save instead then! Or do you think it would be better to reach goal weight first then switch?

Sorry for late response hun! Have no computer at home. My advice would be to get as near as you can to goal before switching as it could get a bit messy changing your habits all over again. But everyone's different so you know your self best and how good you are at adapting. Best of luck whatever you decide. We're all here to support each other. x

Thanks shiv I'm like a chameleon when it comes to adapting but realise my body my not react in the same way as my brain so going to stick with lipotrim till I'm 14st then do slim n save for maintenance and once it's stuck and I stop losing I will stop TFR and do GL as a lifestyle choice!

Back