Kefalonian food diary... food cooked from scratch

Hi Hon

Hope u feeling better now. Congrats on your 'losing streak'.

I wasn't weighed last week as I was at Mum's. Been pretty good but uncharacteristically, my young neice gave me one of her little creme eggs and a caramel bunny. I. Cannot. resist caramel anything!!!!

I guess I will know soon enough this Thursday,

I love caramel too...but can't eat it as I have braces and it's a nightmare!

Now why didn't I think of that! Would have saved me lbs and £'s!!!

Ahhh but the cost and pain of braces outways the benefit I think!

Monday (1st April)
Breakfast: toast (HEb), butter 2syns, marmalade .5 syns
Lunch: Lentil dahl, cauliflower, pea, tomato and onion curry chutney 1.5 syns
Dinner: Fishcakes, chips, mushy peas, parsley. olive oil 1syn, ketchup 1syn
total syns 6

Tuesday
B: none
L: jacket potato, tuna, tomato, cucumber, onion, parsley, red pepper mayo light 2 syns
D: Pasta and T.V.P.mince, cheese (HEa) onions, peppers, tomatoes, garlic, side salad creme egg 8.5 sys wine 4 syns
total syns 14.5

Wednesday
B: poached egg and toast (HEb)
L: Jacket potato, baked beans
D: NONE - power cut! Banana and apple. Amstel light 4 syns

total syns 4

Thursday
B: Egg fried rice and peas, SW sweet and sour sauce (3 syn), green beans, onion, carrot, peppers, pineapple
L: Greek bean soup, apple, bread HEb
D: Tuna and sweetcorn and jacket potato, large salad, mayo light 2syns, yoghurt, jam 2.5 syns wine 4 syns
total 11.5 syns

Friday
B: Yoghurt, apple and orange jam 2 syns
L: Home made bread roll (HEb), cheese triangle (HEa)
D: Jacket potato, tuna, chickpeas, large salad mayo light 2 syns, wine 8 syns, chocolate 2.5 syns
Total syns: 14.5

Saturday
B; Poached egg on toast (HEb)
L: missed it due to work
D: home made pizza base 10 syns, sweetcorn, onion, tomato, peppers, large salad, cheese (HEa)
total syns 10

Sunday
B: Baked beans, eggs, potatoes, red pepper, toms
L: yoghurt, strawberries, honey 2 sysn, s
D: pasta, smoked tuna 2 syns, onion, garlic, peppers, toms, wine 4 syns
total syns: 8

Sundays WI lost 400g - now 58.9kg! Bit heavy on the syns this week and felt I could have lost more without the booze and chocolate

I was replying to Systema about her baked bean recipe when it occurred to me you being in Kephalonia you probably have those gigantes beans in tins - know the ones I mean? A sort of Greek style baked bean? Of course we can get them over here as well and I have done so in the past. An ex greek workmate told me his mum made them and they were the best - sort of tomatoey and herby. Not sure of the synnage value but they were really gorgeous.

I don't buy too much greek stuff in tins cos of the olive oil content but did love them though they were more expensive than Heinz et al.

I was replying to Systema about her baked bean recipe when it occurred to me you being in Kephalonia you probably have those gigantes beans in tins - know the ones I mean? A sort of Greek style baked bean? Of course we can get them over here as well and I have done so in the past. An ex greek workmate told me his mum made them and they were the best - sort of tomatoey and herby. Not sure of the synnage value but they were really gorgeous.

I don't buy too much greek stuff in tins cos of the olive oil content but did love them though they were more expensive than Heinz et al.

The oil content is very high, but I make them (Gigiantes) without so much oil. They're lush! They take ages to prepare but they are great.

Because it's Lent right now they're are lots of great bean/lentil dishes around.

Making baked egg custard today... I work it out as 2xHEa and 3 syns for the sugar. Hope it comes out ok

1 pint milk
3-4 eggs
1tbsp sugar

Whisk eggs and sugar together, add milk. Pour into a heat proof bowl that has been lightly sprayed with frylite. Put the bowl into another one filled with cold water (bain marie) and bake at 175 for 1-2 hrs. You can top it with nutmeg if you want or add vanilla.

So a sneaky WI this morning puts me STS (WI tomorrow). Dosn't seem fair since this was my weeks food:

Monday
B: baked beans on toast (HEb)
L: Chickpea soup with veg, apple
D: Catfish, SW chips, peas. Rice pudding (HEA) Sultanas (3.5 syns), breadcrumbs (1), oil (2), ketchup (1)
Total: 7.5

Tuesday
B: left over rice pudding, fresh fruit salad
L: sardines in tom sauce on toast (HEB), apple
D: Museli (4.5), yoghurt, honey (2) apple, egg custard (sugar 1.5)
Total: 8

Wednesday
B: scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions, beans and toast (HEB)
L: Jacket potato, T.V.P. chilli with veg and cheese (HEa)
D: stir fry veg, rice, prawns, eggs. BBQ sauce (3), oil (2)
Total: 5

Thursday
B: missed
L: tuna, massive salad, toast (HEB)
D: BBQ mackerel, potatoes, salad (mustard .5), mayo (4), wine (6)
Total: 10.5

Friday
B: Boiled eggs, toast (HEB)
L: Fava and vegetables. Yoghurt, apple and banana, honey (2)
D: pasta with T.V.P and lots of veg, cheese (HEA)
Total: 2

Hey! How are you now? Teeth feeling better??

Could I ask for the Gigantes recipe please???

Hello my lovely. Sorry not been on...very busy week. Will post the recipe later. My teeth are ok - my biggest problem today is the big plate of homemade cheese pies sitting on my table from my next door neighbour. They're still hot. It's torture.

Ok - last weeks menus

W/B 14 April

Mon
B: Yoghurt, apple strawberries, museli (HEb), honey (2)L: omelette with sweetcorn, peas, peppers, toms, onions, large salad, mayo (2)
D:Spaghetti with veggie meatballs (1.5) tom and chilli sauce, cheese (HEa)
Total: 5.5

Tues
B & L: Eggs, baked beans, toast (HEb), ketchup (1.5)
D: Quorn sausages (2), large salad, mayo (2) potatoes, mustard (1) honey (1)
Total: 7.5

WEd
B: Yoghurt, honey (2)
L: Sandwich (HEB) and cheese (HEa) branston (1.5)
D: stir fry veg, rice, egg, peas, oyster sauce (2), oil (1), prawns, wine (8)
Total: 14.5

Thurs
B: Yoghurt honey (1.5), apples
L: Baked beans on toast (HEb)
D: Broad beans, large salad, beetroot, aubergines, quorn sausages (2)
Queen of puddings (6)
Total: 9.5

Fri
B: Yoghurt, strawberries, apples, jam (2)
L: Fava soup, lentils, sweetcorn, peas, pototaos, carrots, onions
D: Omelette with toms, onions, peppers, ketchup (1) baby bel light (HEa)
Jonno's B'day cake 5, wine 10
Total: 18

Sat
B: Poached egg and toast (HEb), apples
L: Soup (as above) yoghurt x2, lemon curd (3), golden syrup (1)
D; Cod, SW chips, sweetcorn, salad, mayo (2), oil and breadcrumbs (2), amstel light (1/2 can - 2)
Total: 10

Weigh in this morning shows a gain of 500g. Why? It has been my period but even so. Maybe I need less syns??? Worked very hard this week on the apartments too. Bit fed up with the results of this week

Hey! How are you now? Teeth feeling better??

Could I ask for the Gigantes recipe please???

Gigantes Plaki

500g large white beans
3/4 cup olive oil (makes a lovely taste but massive syns - could try fry-lite or HEB oil)
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
3 cloves garlic chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, or tinned
parsley finely chopped, salt and pepper

Soak the beans overnight, change the water and boil until soft. Drain and allow to dry for a while. Put the oil into a large frying pan with the onion and garlic. If using fresh tomatoes chop as finely as possible and add these to the an with the parsley. Bring to the boil, add slat and pepper to taste. Meanwhile put the beans into an ovenproof dish, pour the sauce over them and bake for about an hour, or until cooked - @180

There are of course many ways to do this recipe!

Gigantes Plaki

500g large white beans
3/4 cup olive oil (makes a lovely taste but massive syns - could try fry-lite or HEB oil)
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
3 cloves garlic chopped
3 ripe tomatoes, or tinned
parsley finely chopped, salt and pepper

Soak the beans overnight, change the water and boil until soft. Drain and allow to dry for a while. Put the oil into a large frying pan with the onion and garlic. If using fresh tomatoes chop as finely as possible and add these to the an with the parsley. Bring to the boil, add slat and pepper to taste. Meanwhile put the beans into an ovenproof dish, pour the sauce over them and bake for about an hour, or until cooked - @180

There are of course many ways to do this recipe!
Hello again, found your diary :)
I love this dish, I've made it a few times, have it with a huge salad

Back