Kefalonian food diary... food cooked from scratch

Today's Minestrone soup

1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped,
2 cloves of garlic crushed (or more to taste)
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 cup (or so) of tomato juice/chopped tomatoes
1 veg stock cube
basil, oregano
couple of hand fulls of small pasta shapes
water
cooked white beans
white cabbage shreded
frozen peas

Put all of the ingredients (except pasta, frozen peas, white cabbage and white beans) into a pan and bring to the boil. After about 10 minutes (depends on how big your chopped veg is) add the remaining ingredients and cook until the pasta is cooked to your liking. Serve with HEa cheese and some freshly ground black pepper. Free on extra easy.

Today's Minestrone soup

1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped,
2 cloves of garlic crushed (or more to taste)
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 cup (or so) of tomato juice/chopped tomatoes
1 veg stock cube
basil, oregano
couple of hand fulls of small pasta shapes
water
cooked white beans
white cabbage shreded
frozen peas

Put all of the ingredients (except pasta, frozen peas, white cabbage and white beans) into a pan and bring to the boil. After about 10 minutes (depends on how big your chopped veg is) add the remaining ingredients and cook until the pasta is cooked to your liking. Serve with HEa cheese and some freshly ground black pepper. Free on extra easy.
This is one soup I've not tried cooking, but I think I will now :)

Monday
B: Fat free yoghurt, jam (2 syns), apple
L: Bread (HEb), Baby Bel light (HEa) beetroot, gherkins, chilli jam (1.5 syns)
D: Rice, T.V.P. chilli, - red beans, vegetables etc
G&T (slimline) (4 syns)
Total: 7.5

Tuesday
B: Poached eggs, toast (HEb)
L: Jacket potato, tuna, gherkins, capers, lemon, mayo (2)
Strawberries, apple, banana
D: out. pasta with arribiata, a quarter of a pita (2.5), wine 16
Total: 20.5

Wednesday
B: Yoghurt, strawberries, apple
L: Bolied eggs with very large mixed salad, beetroot
D: Fish pie (SW syn free) peas. sweetcorn
Total: 0

Thursday
B: Fat free yoghurt, apple, banana, strawberries, honey (1.5)
L: Eggs, baked beans, toast (HEb)
D: Leftover fish pie, carrots. wine (9)
Total:10.5

Friday
B: Scrambled eggs, toast (HEB)
L: Minestrone (recipe above), cheese (HEa)
Yoghurt, jam (2)
D: Frittata with peppers, parsley, spring onion, tomatoes. Large salad. wine (8)
Total: 10

Sneaky WI and another 200g up! what am I doing wrong????

Nothing really - when I did SW last year I was like this - can't remember exactly but maybe 1lb first week - then nothing - then nothing - then 3.5 lbs - next week 1lb.
Sometimes there is no reasoning with the weight loss malarky especially when you don't have much to lose.

The only thing I can think of is your doing EE on days when you're not eating fish and maybe you should be doing green. I was told if you didn't get enough calcium & fibre from your HEA & HEB it could affect your weight loss, that's why on green days you get 2 of each. I can't see anything wrong, it might just be a blip and it all comes off next week x

Thx all - I might try Green instead of EE. I have eaten a lot more fish than usual this week because we were given some and had a bit in the freezer. I have compared measurements and they are def in the right direction (3 inches off my waist since end of Jan). But you all know how disheartening a gain is when there's no reason for it. I have done lots of work this week as the 7 aparts we manage have opened plus the pool cleaning (10 in total after April).

Hi Kefalonia I'm very interested in your diary as I live in North Cyprus and, like you, cook everything from scratch as I don't have access to ready meals etc and can only get what is in season. I love the Mediterranean diet but probably use a bit too much olive oil! I would agree with the other poster that you could switch to green days to get more HE's as the amount of fish you can have on green is very generous.

Good luck and please keep posting your recipes.

Maybe you have upped your exercise recently - some people actually gain when doing this - I cannot remember why - the consultant did expolain it - but I am afraid I don't remember.
When you very first start exercising your muscles retain water to repair themselves, this why you end up gaining at first but it should settle down and come back off. I have problems with water retention so I take herbal tablets containing dandelion root and that works a treat :)

Now more confused than ever as my official WI today has me 0.8kg down. Not complaining, just wondering how that happens...Think I will give green a go this week

Artichokes with peas (totally seasonal!) - serves 4-6

10 Artichokes, or frozen hearts
1 bunch spring onions, sliced including greens
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsps fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp dried marjoram or dill
salt & pepper
3 cups fresh peas (or 1llb frozen peas)

Clean and soak the artichokes if using fresh. Fry the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add carrots, tomatoes, herbs and salt and pepper. Stir for a few minutes. Add artichokes, peas and stir again until coated in the sauce. Add hot water to cover the vegetables, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

Syn Free Slow Cooker Soup ( you will have to adjust the amounts to fit your slow cooker, or just cook on the stove top for a longer time)

2 carrots
1/2 cup of green lentils
1 medium potato
1 med/lrg onion
1/2 med butter nut squash
garlic to taste
veggie stock cube & bay leaves
salt and pepper/herbs to taste

Chop the vegetables into bite size pieces add them to the slow cooker with the washed green lentils. Add seasonings of your choice. Make the veggie stock with a small amount of boiling water and pour over the veg. Top up with boiling water to just cover the vegetables. Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.

Looks really nice. I hope you've been keeping well x

Thank you, I slipped off the wagon for a few weeks at the end of the season...but back now! Glad you're still here - how's it going for you?

Back