Kellmo's Atkins attempt

kellmo

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm Kellmo, aged 32 (and 2/3) and I will be starting my Atkins journey this Sunday (25.8.13)

My weight loss has been a long story but basically it's gone like this:-

June 2012 - started VLCD and got to goal November 2012, going from 14 stone to 9 and a half.

November - started Dukan, loved it to begin with but was freezing cold and had tendency to binge (this is an ever present factor,)

April 2013 - started slimming world as I was desperate to eat 'healthy' - did the red plan without bread, pasta, rice etc but gained weight - too much choice I think.

May 2013 - returned to Dukan and got to goal again.

August - back to 20lbs over target as went completely off track.

Present day - just doing one week VLCD (to just give me a break from all the FOOD)

...... Which brings me to trying Atkins. It sounds like the low carb that works for me (and I actually like) but with the high fat that will keep me warm (you wouldn't believe how cold I was on Dukan, I had to have 3 baths a day to keep warm!)

I've bought the Atkins book,

I've bought some flax meal from Holland and Barratt and I want to buy some more things for some recipes.

I've been having chicken with stir fry leafy green veg on VLCD and I LOVE it.

I've read through the recipes, stickies, MIM's threads, etc to BUT... I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. I've even ordered a (non Atkins) low carb recipe book from Amazon to get me started, I've made a list of recipes on my pc and I've finally sent back my dodgy kitchen scales so I can weigh things if necessary.

I want to go shopping on Saturday to stock up for the things I'll need.

Could somebody please tell me what you bought on your first shop and. Maybe 5 or 6 basic, simple recipes that you used?

My brain is ATKINS FRIED and I'm worried come Sunday I will panic and eat something I shouldn't.

This is the flaxseed I've bought - is it ok?

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1377168243.098048.jpg

Also - if I make mim's on induction are they on top of the 20g carbs or included?

I'm also not sure how long to do induction for as I've done this VLCD for a week. I don't know my weight yet (husband knows but I don't want to) but I think I'm about 12lbs off my target weight. E

Thanks so much for any help,

Kellmo xx

Hi Kellmo and welcome :)

You sound like you're getting all the planning sorted out - and don't worry, I know it can sound overwhelming at first but you'll get the hang of it. Post your menus in here and we can all help with advice and pointers.

Re the flax - Linwoods is quite high in carbs, from memory - and BTW your carb allowance for everything during induction is 20g. That's it - and it's strongly recommended that 15g of those carbs come from leafy greens - they help keep you regular (what we call visiting the park :)) and they also seem to help the whooshie fairy too! Try and restrict your Mim intake until you're a bit further along, flax can stall some people.

Re shopping - there's a sticky I started called Low Carb Shopping, which has a list of the lowest carb things we could find, for different supermarkets. Be a label detective and assume nothing! One brand of mayo might be quite low, another could be really high. Also check out the budget brands, they're often (but not always) much lower.

Simple recipes - good idea to follow the KISS principle at first. My favs are -

- pork loin steaks, cooked in the oven for 30 mins, with a squirt of mayo on them and some sauteed cabbage with bacon
- chicken pieces cooked/fried, then toss in a little oil, add some curry powder and hey presto - quick curry - serve with a small cup of cauli mash (cut the cauli up, zap for 8 minutes, blend to a good mash consistency with some butter and/or oil)
- chicken breast wrapped in bacon and cheese, served on a bed of wilted spinach
- chicken breast rubbed in Ras El Hanout (moroccan rub, delish!) with baked goat's cheese and wilted spinach - to die for :)
- for breakfast I make bacon and egg muffins and have three cold at work -

- 3 rashers of bacon, cooked or microwaved and chopped into bits
- beat three eggs with about 100ml water, add herbs
- spray/oil/grease a 6 space muffin tray
- put some bacon in, then pour egg over it - don't fill to the top, it will rise a little
- sprinkle a few bits of grated cheese
- cook for about 20 mins on 200.

I usually have three as one serving, for 1g carbs. They also freeze nicely, so you can make batches ahead.

I'm also a fan of my own modest creation to eat more broccoli - don't know why it's suddenly bolded it!

Cheesy broccoli bake

Ingredients -

- 250g broccoli
- 150g (handful) spinach
- 2 bacon rashers
- 1 tub cream cheese - plain or garlic/herb
- 100g grated cheddar/mozzarella
- olive oil

Spray or drizzle the oil round a casserole dish (I use a square lasagna dish)
Steam the broccoli, chop into smaller pieces and layer up in the baking dish
Spread the raw spinach on top
Cook the rashers (I just steam in the m'wave), chop into bits and sprinkle over veg
Soften the cream cheese in the microwave and dollop over the mixture, then stir in (reduce your washing up lol)
Sprinkle cheese on top
Bake at 200 for about 20-25 mins, until cheese is browning

That makes four servings and MFP says it's 5g carbs a serving.

Hope this helps!

Hi Lady,

Thank you VERY much. Your recipes sound incredible and I will be using them.

Just been doing a bit of food shopping and hot mayo, chicken, baking powder, burgers from m&s (on offer, I'm not rich) at 0.1c per burger and some slightly higher which I may leave and give to my family.

Thanks again,

Kell xx

Hi there Kellmo and welcome. As they say its all on the planning so you should be all ready to go.

As susie says the main forum has some very useful stickies that are definitely worth a read.

Good luck x

ONE more day of my VLCD left! I am really looking forward to starting Atkins tomorrow! Going to be as good as gold today even though it's my wedding anniversary and I'm off to another wedding reception this evening. I've lost 12lbs in 6 days and I'm THRILLED but ready for some food!

Hi Kellmo, and welcome!

i'm sure you will do well, I've recently started (for the second time) and lost nearly 9lb in my first week while stuffing my face.

i use a lot of the recipes above, especially the broccoli bake.

I also do giant mushrooms stuffed with Philly and bacon and topped with a little grated cheese - yummy!

cauliflower is really versatile - roasted, boiled, made in to rice etc. it also makes a good substitute for mash either on its own or in recipes like cottage pie, fish cakes, fish pie etc.

we go through about four large cauli's a week - get some really funny looks when that lot goes through the till at tesco's lol

Hi Jon's girl,

Wow you look just like my friend, AND she was born in 1980 AND her husband is called Jon!

Thanks for the support and advice. I've just been to Aldi (for the first time -I'm usually a tesco/lidl kinda gal) and wow! It's a revelation. I will definitely be shopping there in future.

I stocked up on lots of bits and pieces and got some Aberdeen Angus steak which I will maybe make into burgers and have with veg and mayo! Man I am missing my food. I also got butter, bacon etc. I'd buy a bit more but I'm waiting (not so patiently) for my cookbook to arrive. I have more green, leafy veg than i know what to do with!

My eldest daughter needs to gain weight so I'm sure she'll benefit from these full fat foods too - as well as bread, pasta, rice etc. I'm jealous!

Final day of this stupid yet entirely necessary diet and final weigh in tomorrow! Yayyy!!!

Xx

Kellmo

Ok.

End of VLCD (13lbs gone this week) and beginning of Atkins.

I've got about 10-14lbs to lose to get to goal. I'm going to do a week of induction and see where that gets me.

Day 1.

Weight - 10 stone 6.

Wish me luck!

Good luck and you will be there in no time on this diet. By the way I am always freezing on Atkins so don't think dukan would be any different in that respect. Apparently when we get cold all the time it means our metabolism is slowing down. I go on my treadmill to warm up. I've been freezing all the way through summer with hot water bottles and sweaters. I'm dreading winter :( and I eat loads of fats in my bulletproof coffees. Keep an eye on that and see how you go it's also a sign of thyroid trouble which I am going to get checked out at the DRs.

Thanks ladies!

I went to Aldi yesterday and treated myself to aeon Aberdeen Angus steak mince but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it? I've seen loads of recipes but they all look American (cups of this and that) and I can't measure cos my kitchen scales have gone back to Jamie Oliver's kitchen to be replaced!!! Any ideas?

image-537888086.jpg

Food glorious food!

My first Atkins brekky.

Bacon, eggs and mushrooms (done in full fat, salted butter!)

image-906373699.jpg

Meatballs with broccoli, courgette and homemade cheese sauce. AMAZING!!!

image-3262711897.jpg

Tea was prawns, celery, spring onion, red pepper and mayo (with cayenne pepper).

Delicious! Again.

Last edited:
Mmm looks lovely.

Re the steak mince - what about making up some meatballs? Easy peasy to make - I just mix up the mince, an egg, herbs and sometimes some sauteed cabbage or a piece of feta pushed into the middle - then bake in the oven for about 25-30 mins at 200. Have with a creamy mushroom sauce - or a low carb pasta sauce, M&S does a couple of good ones, about 3g carbs per 100.

Back