Kelpie's Diary

Really pleased you had a good time and that loss is fantastic! Well done. Indeed, last week of August. I'm joining you on the regain-the-keto journey this week :)

Thank you - I'm sure you will!

I walked a million miles today. Or... 22k steps. Had to get to the dentist and it's a nightmare to park so I just walked. Then this evening did a 3k run for 25k steps. Which is lovely, but last week I did that total over 6 days, so I'm just making up for it!

2 shakes, 1 bar and tuna + hard boiled eggs after the run. Still need to get more water in me today.

Starting to see colleagues as they drift back early, and not sure how I feel about comments. It's nice to be kind to others but I'm glad I'm not ill... I never like to comment on others' bodies unless I'm super super sure they will welcome it and there's not a sinister reason for the weight loss. A minority of colleagues take the same approach. But hey. The others are just being kind in their way.

Roll on Friday... 181 feels like too much of a stretch, but 183 would be a round 40lbs off and I would do a little dance.

Starting to see colleagues as they drift back early, and not sure how I feel about comments. It's nice to be kind to others but I'm glad I'm not ill... I never like to comment on others' bodies unless I'm super super sure they will welcome it and there's not a sinister reason for the weight loss. A minority of colleagues take the same approach. But hey. The others are just being kind in their way. .

6 years ago, I think that was the hardest thing - handling the comments.

First off - no comments. I think I was soooo big, they wanted to be certain. I'm one of those people who is very "alive" - so people know I am/was fat - but in person I move - so sometimes people think I've lost weight when I've put it on. It took 3-4 stone off before people appeared to notice and said anything.

Then the comments -I decided I wanted to be able to acknowledge them, and not get into explanations. So I practiced "thank you" and meaning it! No explanations, self deprecating comments etc....

I think this was for me one of the learnings I needed. So I am looking forward to being able to say thank you again! Right now my STBX doesn't comment - and as I'm pretty isolated here, it'll be when I go & see friends and family next that they may start noticing.

For me, if I notice someone has lost weight and looks good, I don't comment on the weight - I comment on how great they look.

6 years ago, I think that was the hardest thing - handling the comments.

First off - no comments. I think I was soooo big, they wanted to be certain. I'm one of those people who is very "alive" - so people know I am/was fat - but in person I move - so sometimes people think I've lost weight when I've put it on. It took 3-4 stone off before people appeared to notice and said anything.

Then the comments -I decided I wanted to be able to acknowledge them, and not get into explanations. So I practiced "thank you" and meaning it! No explanations, self deprecating comments etc....

I think this was for me one of the learnings I needed. So I am looking forward to being able to say thank you again! Right now my STBX doesn't comment - and as I'm pretty isolated here, it'll be when I go & see friends and family next that they may start noticing.

For me, if I notice someone has lost weight and looks good, I don't comment on the weight - I comment on how great they look.

I've been opting for "thank you" as a complete sentence as my answer, so really glad to find out this is a good idea and worked for you. I'm quite good at "no" as a polite but firm, complete sentence, so I guess people are used to me not explaining things!

Also good point about just complimenting someone's look. They'll know what you mean, and it's less loaded (for 'you lost so much weight/you're thin now' some will naturally hear 'you were so fat before.')

When I talk about compliments with my teenagers we often say compliment something that the person chose or did or added... Love your hair, that dress really suits you, you look cool in those boots. Rather than.... NICE BUTT! oh the conversations I have to have with teenagers, hahaha

Today has been 10k steps, some weights, and a baby 2k run. That takes me from work to the train station, so it's easy to add in. Extra bonus: no one sits next to me on the train, hahaha. I'll tell myself it's the neon outfit.

Now showered and moisturised and NOT going to move. Trying to look after my skin. My hands and feet and hair are all dried out.

2 shakes, 1 bar, 160cal fridge-protein today. I'm in a good groove but the impatience is bugging me. Find myself holding off on life until certain made up numbers. Especially re: dating. But... don't want to feel... Stupid? Awkward? Unattractive? I don't know how any of it works anymore. Anyway. My primary hope, when I bite the bullet, is for amusing stories to tell you all ;)

Wow! Well done on getting the exercise in! Im still ways away from getting back in there so it is great to see how you are including it into your schedule - life and food wise. I got 2 moisurising creams from Boots which I'm finding quite useful to be fair... I got a Dr Ceuticals Beach Perfect body firmer (don't get put off by the name, that's not why I chose it - it was price vs vitamins it had in it that I found appealing) and a Neutrogena Elasti-boost with collagen boosting minerals. I use either of them every morning (or even in the evening if I go for a swim). My skin is really getting hydrated, I like the feeling of it.
Dating-wise - if you want to go out there, I would say - just do it! It takes a long time to find someone you will like and feel connected with. You will initially just meet people who may look good on paper but actually are not very fun to be around due to any sort of reasons. But it gets your confidence up in terms of meeting new people, chatting stuff, and how to determine for yourself what you do and don't like in a person during dates. And in the end, if you meet someone who you have a brilliant connection to - do you want them to only like you when so to speak you 'feel at your best' or you want them to like you no matter what? I think that's quite important - it's weird I met my partner when I was very heavy, then I got heavier and started to dislike my body profoundly (as per how I started the diary on here) and now I'm at the slimmest he's ever seen me... which is not 'it' for me...but hey ho. He was a lot slimmer when I met him - that doesn't change my opinion or thoughts of him as I found him attractive then and even more so now, but it is not only about the weight. Dating can be fun - and indeed you will come home with many amusing stories to tell us

Thanks for all the thoughts, Alecto: you're absolutely right about dating. I am not keen to rush at anything serious, but it's also exciting to be that much smaller and think hmm, I can actually get out there. We shall see!

Cheers for the skincare recs too: I LOVE skincare and do appreciate a good splurge on something luxurious, but it is all about ingredients in the end, especially when it's mostly for my elbows and my belly, haha. I will check those out. Probably need to break my soap and glory body butter habit because that adds up silly-fast.

So, Friday once more... 11 weeks done. Sadly did not reach any nice milestone this morning but I had that week away with real (if limited) food and I've been running and lifting so I'm not going to beat myself up. The muscle soreness would suggest some water and repair is going on! I only get the tape out once a month but some bits of me have seriously changed shape (thiiiighs, thank you baby jesus).

Am 184.2 this morning, so 4.6 down from last weigh in TWO weeks ago. 39lb off overall. Haven't been this weight since 2004. Ouch.

Yesterday was really stressful with work and unexpected family, but had two shakes, one bar, and a tin of tuna I fought with the cats to eat! 12k walking steps and weights for abs. Body scale sensor thing says I'm properly hydrated for the first time since buying it, although I still think it invents most of its stats!

183 tomorrow hopefully for the round 40lb down, and 181 next week for 3 stone off total. My goal for the end of September is 171, but probably more to do with the clothes I want to fit in. Have a good Friday all...

I think it's time i follow in your footsteps in the exercise arena. I think itll do me good overall. Will be using the newly reached keto boost to get into a sustainable pattern. Shall test options and see how i go. You're doing great with expected and unexpected situations and yay on the tights! I'm finally seeimg a bit of change there too but still ways to go! Every step and gram and inch counts. Have a nice food week :)

Let me know how you get on... Definitely just experimenting myself. Because I'm having the boost of food, the exercise isn't really doing much for the calorie deficit, it's more for the toning and strength and trying to be fitter. And I just feel like I want to move at the moment. Lots of energy.

Today was two shakes, one bar, tuna and eggs, lots of water. 12.5k steps including a 3km run. I'm trying to get faster over shorter distances, but will do the 5km route again on Sunday. Find it quite challenging after so many years not running. Very glad it wasn't a lifting day today. Things I didnt know existed are hurting 😂

Ordered another month of shakes and bars. When I'm in heathy bmi I will think about shifting to actual keto meal prep. But for now it's too convenient, and it's working.

16k steps, walking only. Weights for calves, glutes, hams... other... leg areas. (I have no knowledge, I just look things up and do them until I fall over).
Two bars, one shake.

And wow am I ready to sleep.

Last edited:
Haha, all the shakes still taste like shoes to me. I love real shoes too much to eat them ;)
At least I have a beloved chocolate orange bar for lunch. Mmmm chewy chemicals.

Thanks, Darcy!

14.5k steps today but no running... Into total stress mode for work and just did prep all day. But previously I would have eaten the world on the last night of summer hols. So at least there's that.

Two bars and a shake today.

I've done 111,700 steps this week.... Think that's my record. Determined to be very firm through this mega stress week!

Two shakes, one bar, <200 cal cheese and ham.
20k steps, oh my poor feet.
Slammed with work. But still made it.
Lack of kinda... blood sugar resilience? Like if I run, my body clearly burns fat to make me move. But that stress response just empties me. Had some conflict with a colleague this morning and had to take myself away for a little cry. That is not me! Oh well. I fit in smaller hiding spaces.

Two shakes, one bar, <200 cal cheese and ham.
20k steps, oh my poor feet.
Slammed with work. But still made it.
Lack of kinda... blood sugar resilience? Like if I run, my body clearly burns fat to make me move. But that stress response just empties me. Had some conflict with a colleague this morning and had to take myself away for a little cry. That is not me! Oh well. I fit in smaller hiding spaces.
Oh I'm sorry to hear you had a challenging day :( mixing the diet and work will become easier in time but it's going to take some adjustment indeed. The increased stress response seems to indeed be a thing - I read in other people's diaries...its difficult to keep to the rollercoaster of the diet and removing the initially learnt "rewards" when also stressed at work (through amount of having to do things, discussions that may not always work out smoothly etc). Keep holding onto what you've learnt with the diet as a constant until the work things settle back in a routine. And when getting home - just do nothing as much as possible (ie. Comforting things). Wishing you all the best, I know you've got this! Take good care of yourself x

Oh I'm sorry to hear you had a challenging day :( mixing the diet and work will become easier in time but it's going to take some adjustment indeed. The increased stress response seems to indeed be a thing - I read in other people's diaries...its difficult to keep to the rollercoaster of the diet and removing the initially learnt "rewards" when also stressed at work (through amount of having to do things, discussions that may not always work out smoothly etc). Keep holding onto what you've learnt with the diet as a constant until the work things settle back in a routine. And when getting home - just do nothing as much as possible (ie. Comforting things). Wishing you all the best, I know you've got this! Take good care of yourself x

Thank you! Not getting home until 8.30 at the moment so I'm just gently pottering then going to bed. I don't get enough sleep. Up at 5, so there's not much wiggle room. I do have Thursdays off though so a calm day awaits me tomorrow. Tonight I'm meeting up with two friends, which I badly need.

It was so interesting to kinda watch my own stress response from above. If you said to my colleague, I hear you and Kelpie had a fight, he would have no idea what you meant... But to my brain it was a huge thing. After about ten seconds of aaaaaahhh though I could grip onto it and say "this is just your blood sugar, this isn't real". And all is well again. I didn't want to eat as a response, and I haven't been getting home from work and thinking WINE, so the fact I haven't run yet this week is OK. These are progress.

22k steps, two shakes, one bar and some fat/protein yesterday. Going to do the rest of the week TS as I don't think exercise is likely. Although watching my teacher step count vs my summer holiday bum step count is hilarious.

Back