Kelpie's Diary

Thanks, Alecto - you’re a champion cheerleader!

TOTM hit me today like a truck and I’m just staying still and trying to squint my way through the headache. Keeps me off the scales, though...

Can't believe it's Friday again.

195.4lb this morning, so a solid 4lb off this week, and getting towards the first 30lb off.

I'm kinda "really busy" and "getting absolutely nothing achieved" - sorry I am not around much and I hope you are all ok. x

How are you doing, Kelpie?

192lb for latest weigh-in, down 3.4lb this week. 194 has been a sticking point in the past, and I'm now over 30lbs lost. Still not feeling it today though! The last little bit has come off in a funny way (like everywhere but my hips?) and I feel a weird shape. Just impatient, I guess.

Saw lots of people I havent seen for a while this week, who made lots of nice comments. Also found the winter jacket of my absolute dreams (long grey wool military coat) and it fit with room to spare in a 14 so I decided that was a sign and bought it. I am spending too much money.... But I need clothes that fit!

Hoping for another good week. I know my losses are good, just feeling flumpy. Hope you are all well x

Been the same weight for six days and slowly going crazy, but got the measuring tape out and I've lost 3 inches off my thigh in the past month. So... Yay for tape measures, but please cross your fingers for me, I irrationally think this is it and no more weight will go.

Been the same weight for six days and slowly going crazy, but got the measuring tape out and I've lost 3 inches off my thigh in the past month. So... Yay for tape measures, but please cross your fingers for me, I irrationally think this is it and no more weight will go.
Heya Kelpie! You've been doing so very great - over 30lb down and you went cycling. That is massive! It will go down, don't worry - the cycling may have helped you with a bit of leg muscle also! I think that from one point onward the weight loss seems to come in weekly whoosh-es rather than seeing the scales go down daily. I have my fingers crossed for you to have your whoosh very soon but physics/thermodynamics is what it is - you are getting less calories than you are expending, so the weight will go down no matter what! Also a thing that I'm finding quite interesting ever since I've been closer to the healthy BMI is that even if I don't quite lose a lot daily in the week or I go up/down, by day 8 at the Monday weekly weight-in I always seem to have a bit of a whoosh. I know bodies don't all work the same, but give it another couple of days. I wonder if it works in a similar way for yourself?
Have a great day and new week xxx

Last edited:
Heya Kelpie! You've been doing so very great - over 30lb down and you went cycling. That is massive! It will go down, don't worry - the cycling may have helped you with a bit of leg muscle also! I think that from one point onward the weight loss seems to come in weekly whoosh-es rather than seeing the scales go down daily. I have my fingers crossed for you to have your whoosh very soon but physics/thermodynamics is what it is - you are getting less calories than you are expending, so the weight will go down no matter what! Also a thing that I'm finding quite interesting ever since I've been closer to the healthy BMI is that even if I don't quite lose a lot daily in the week or I go up/down, by day 8 at the Monday weekly weight-in I always seem to have a bit of a whoosh. I know bodies don't all work the same, but give it another couple of days. I wonder if it works in a similar way for yourself?
Have a great day and new week xxx

You're right, of course... Thanks for all the encouragement. I know a whoosh will come... Just feeling a little fragile. Been doing some more biking and some weights because I feel energised and like I should be doing more, but anytime I've upped my activity before, my body has been a little nervous of letting go of weight. So I should stop panicking.

I've got to a point where my brain has caught up with my body: I'm used to seeing this reflection in the mirror now so I don't think ive changed. Don't know if that makes any sense. I know pictures are supposed to help with this, but I couldn't face it at the start.

I will stay off the scale until Friday and just keep the faith.

Hope you're cruising into a new week too! X

"I will stay off the scale..."

No I won't. Nearly 9 weeks in, and I still can't do this. However! Today I have finally budged. Down to 190, which means the 190s are nearly behind me, which I'm VERY excited about. Another 5lbs and I'll be the same weight I was in second year uni, when I first thought I was fat. (Plot twist: I was!)

So much did I not stay off the scale, I actually got a new scale. I got a smart scale thing, because I do make a lot of use of the fitbit app, and it feeds through automatically, which is good before I've got my contact lenses in early in the morning. It also does loads of other 'metrics' which I think are total nonsense (although the body fat % seems about right for now by eyeball/comparison of pictures). One thing it claims to tell me is my 'body water', and it was hopping mad at me yesterday for being dehydrated. So I did drink a whole lot more, feel a lot better, and there was the whoosh today. Pretty sure most people don't need some bleepy, flashy scale for this, but I'm grateful to it for reminding me to stay hydrated!!

"I will stay off the scale..."

No I won't. Nearly 9 weeks in, and I still can't do this. However! Today I have finally budged. Down to 190, which means the 190s are nearly behind me, which I'm VERY excited about. Another 5lbs and I'll be the same weight I was in second year uni, when I first thought I was fat. (Plot twist: I was!)

So much did I not stay off the scale, I actually got a new scale. I got a smart scale thing, because I do make a lot of use of the fitbit app, and it feeds through automatically, which is good before I've got my contact lenses in early in the morning. It also does loads of other 'metrics' which I think are total nonsense (although the body fat % seems about right for now by eyeball/comparison of pictures). One thing it claims to tell me is my 'body water', and it was hopping mad at me yesterday for being dehydrated. So I did drink a whole lot more, feel a lot better, and there was the whoosh today. Pretty sure most people don't need some bleepy, flashy scale for this, but I'm grateful to it for reminding me to stay hydrated!!
I was considering those scales, as the fitbit app keeps flaunting them at me. I'm glad to hear they really are useful. Well done on your whoosh, you are doing so great!! :D

I was considering those scales, as the fitbit app keeps flaunting them at me. I'm glad to hear they really are useful. Well done on your whoosh, you are doing so great!! :D

I got ones by Renpho (about £35 on amazon) because although I'm sure the official fitbit ones are nice, I could buy some seriously lovely jeans for that money! My scale has a separate app, but it syncs to the fitbit one.

Weigh-in Friday: 188.8
3.2lb loss this week, and 34lb overall. One more pound to be half-way to my first goal of healthy BMI.

Should say that almost every day is 'man plannish' now in terms of extra calories, but I don't do full meals. Babybel, ham, can of tuna, boiled egg... Basically two from that list per day. Keeps me only slightly dizzy. Most of my days are 12 - 18k steps at the moment but adding more exercise doesn't seem sustainable.. Keen to get to it when I'm down a bit more.

Not sure if I can make 181 by the end of August as I'm away all next week and not in charge of dinners. Not worried about going crazy, as I can just eat a little, but it won't be the most helpful food. But 181 by the end of August would be awesome, as if would be three full stone in one summer. Yes, I mix and match my measurements when I want to encourage myself!

Hope folks are ok. Know some people are having a rough patch and am thinking of you.

Super loss Kelpie, well done. I like your plan also! Another 7lb in 2 weeks might be do able! Keep calm and carry on, aye?:)

Cheers! Yeah, not going to sweat it if not, just keeping focused on what's next.

188 on the nose this morning, so that's 35 down out of 70 I need to lose to scrape into the healthy bmi bracket. Half done feels good. Same again? Same again.

I went for a run yesterday because my energy is so high. Just 3 miles gently, but it felt great. I loved running as a teenager. Might go out again tomorrow then I have my week away when I will be mostly sitting on my butt (and loving it!)

Off on writing retreat today: no phones, no Internet, no scales... Communal dinner cooking/eating, but am planning to stick to this one meal a day and keep it tight, with shakes and bars in my bag if needed. Hope to stay the same, but more focused on having a relaxing and productive week. Catch up with you all next Sunday!

Off on writing retreat today: no phones, no Internet, no scales... Communal dinner cooking/eating, but am planning to stick to this one meal a day and keep it tight, with shakes and bars in my bag if needed. Hope to stay the same, but more focused on having a relaxing and productive week. Catch up with you all next Sunday!
Have a fun and relaxing, week! Hope the writing is productive and inspired:) you see to be sorted food wise so I'm looking forward to your next update to tell us how it all went. Onwards and downwards:)

Home at last. Thoroughly enjoyable week with a lovely bunch of people. I mixed intermittent fasting (18/6) with choosing food carefully, and a quick check shows down 1.4lb for the week, which is great. Will be out of ketosis though so probably a headachey couple of days. Hoping to push for a good last week in August.

Back