Ketosis query

Kirstie007

Hi All,

I've been on and off this type of VLCD for years! Its the only thing that works for me and I'm back again. I keep popping into Minimins to get some much needed inspiration! My goal is to lose 24lb by the end of the year. I have a sticking point of 10st which I just mentally can't seem to get past, I get near then sabotage myself and slowly float back towards 11st.

I re-started on Monday at a starting weight of 11st 2lb and am currently at 10st 12lb. Any hints on how I can move past 10st would be gratefully received. Also there is something which is puzzling me and I wonder if anyone can help?

How is it I can be in ketosis when I go to bed, remain in ketosis when I wake up but then later on the same morning (after just drinking water) be out of ketosis? What's going on??

Thanks,
Kirstie

You're not out of ketosis. It's just those stupid sticks. Seriously there's no benefit to constantly checking. If you're in ketosis you're in ketosis end of story. The sticks aren't designed for Vlcds and are unreliable. Bin them

Starlight is absolutely right - you are in ketosis and the sticks are rubbish. The darker they are the more dehydrated you are. If there's any colour on them at all then you are in ketosis. Even if there's no colour you could still be in ketosis. Not much use really...

Thanks Ladies - sticks binned!

In the states you can get blood ketone meters. These work in a similar way to diabetes blood sugar meters. These are truly the only reliable way to measure ketones in your body.However they are very expensive and hard to get here. the dip sticks might be an OK indication in the first few weeks, but are pretty much unreliable.

A good point to remember is that when you have been in ketosis for a while, your body stops spilling them out into your urine because it is actually using them for your energy needs in the absence of glucose. This is a state known as being ketone adapted. it happens after a few weeks of being completely on plan. The ketones are there, but your body is being incredibly efficient and using them up for your energy needs. This is the perfect way your body should work and you will have loads of energy because of it.

Back