Ketosis Question (Carbs and Cals??) & Ramadan

That's_So_Fetch

Gold Member
I was just wondering if its the low carbs that keep you in ketosis and help prevent hunger on CD SS or if its due to low carbs combined with low cals of below 600cals :confused:

I have ramadan starting on 1st September and was thinking of having my 3 shakes and 2 protein meals to help me get through the days (i will be fasting for about 16 hours a day :eek: and can eat at sunrise and sunset) and was hoping this would help keep me in ketosis to lose weight and more importantly prevent hunger.

I was planning on being on 1000cals/1200cals by September but things havn't gone according to plan on CD :mad:. I am finally doing CD 100% but i know i willl need some extra cals to get me though the day during ramadan as i cant have any food or water during the day and want to be in ketosis to prevent hunger.

I would appreciate your advice and opinions :). xx

(Sorry for the long post :rolleyes: but i just wanted to make everything clear)

It's the low carb thing that keeps you in ketosis. If you were to do a diet like Atkins, for example, you'd be in ketosis during the induction stage despite having more calories. And yes, it's ketosis that keeps that nasty hungry feeling away...

Hope that helps a little.

Could you have 2 of your shakes first thing to keep you going through the fasting part of the day - then one at night. If I have to be up early and I'm out all day I try to have a double shake by 6am then I sometimes wont have the next one till the evening. It seems to work ok and because I'm in ketosis I don't feel hungry. It might be easier to fast whilst on CD because of the lack of hunger!?

Good luck with it

Carol x

Hi ladies, thank you for your replies. I have thought about having 2 shakes in the morning and then 1 in the evening when i can eat at sunset but i am worried about not being able to have any water during the day. I thought i could try having a small protein meal in the morning to keep me full and to give me energy during the day because i am afraid that i will get dizzy and tierd if i only have 2 shakes and i wont be able to drink any water to make me feel better.

I guess i could look into Atkins and maybe get some ideas for low carb meals but i wanted to stick to CD as much as i can. I want to make sure i stay in ketosis so i dont get hungry.

Thanks you for all your suggestions, i will think over my options and also have a chat with CDC.

I hope you're all having a fab day on the diet :) xx

Cambridge booklet says that taking 2 cambridge together potentially can take someone out of ketosis. However I think you should be fine with that in the evening, and having one cambridge plus protein in the morning.

If she's around later Nas might be able to tell you what she did.

I really want to try and stick to SS as much as i can but i am worried about not being able to drink much water. I am also concerned about my parents because they get worried and upset not to mention angry when i try to diet during ramadan, I have blacked out in the past, lol. I think i'll try the protein option but if i have to eat i'll try stay as healthy as possible. I wont have much time to eat anyway because i can barely eat at 3am and then in the evening when we can eat we have to read extra prayers and then its time for bed already. The days will get shorter so hopefully towards the end of the month i'll have no probs doing ss 100% and whens its TOTM i'm not allowed to fast anyway.

In the back of my mind i'm thinking why dont i do the 1200cals option during the first week or 2 of ramadan and work my way down to SS by the end of the month when SSing wont be so difficult. It might work.

Thanks again for your replies and i'm sorry about the lenthy posts, i just kinda type as i work things out in my head, lol.

xx :)

...years on we are back in Ramadan (mubarik BTW).
How did the 16+ hours of no water affect your ketosis?

Ramadhan Mubarak dorkus! Wow, I would be really suprised if the person replied *but also impressed*, how is your first few days going? I have been drinking 2 litres of water during the eating period (i'm on lipotrim) and suprisingly I have been managing it and staying in ketosis (checked myself with ketostix) and they are all showing good signs of ketosis and hydration! How about you?

Salaams Bro,
Al-hamdulillah, fasting and lipotrim is going well - glad to hear you are doing well too.

I have just got back from my first weigh in session!
Dropped 8lb in 6 days (going to Alton Towers tomorrow so wouldn't have time for a weigh in tomorrow).
Pharmacist was keen to ask me how fasting was going for me, and that I should be getting to at least 2 litres (if not 3 litres) a day.

He said forget getting "knocked out of ketosis", and worry about your kidneys!!
I think I will be taking a bottle of water to tarweeh prayers tonight to keep topping up!

No ketostix for me - pharamcist said, follow the lipotrim diet strictly and you will be in ketosis.

I was at Alton towers last weekend! Tell you what bro make sure you get there as early as you can as the queue for the new ride 'smiler' is like two hours long (we didn't get to go on it in the end :() so if you can get there as soon as the doors open and run to it you might save yourself some time! We are planning to go back again on a less busy day next time and do it, but yeah hope you have fun!

I have been able to get my 2litres per night, i find at iftar it's really easy as your body has been dehydrated that whatever you drink just stays with you, and then i've also kept a small water bottle with me throughout taraweeh. My goal is just to get through a 2l mineral water bottle and then I know i'm ok :) your kidneys should be fine as long as you drink enough water - my pharmacist was also concerned due to the dehydration whether it might cause constipation but the people at lipotrim said it's fine to fast and be on LT, as many of their clients continue LT through Ramadhan but hydration is deffo the key!

Your absolutely right, as long as you are strict with the diet then you're in ketosis and you just need to spend weeks watching the fat burn off. A few friends saw me in my thobe today and were shocked because of all the weight that has fallen off! alhamdulillah it's been worth it :) anyway hope the month goes well for you and keep us updated!

I was at Alton towers last weekend! Tell you what bro make sure you get there as early as you can as the queue for the new ride 'smiler' is like two hours long (we didn't get to go on it in the end :() so if you can get there as soon as the doors open and run to it you might save yourself some time! We are planning to go back again on a less busy day next time and do it, but yeah hope you have fun!
Great advice - we got there late - (had a lie in after Maghrib) - but made sure we did a few rides including the "Smiler".
Having been a theme park junkie for many years, going back to Alton Towers brought back many positive childhood memories.
The Smiler is without a doubt the best (most fun) roller coaster I have ever been on.
I would advise going back one day to try it out.
After spending all day out in the sun though really took it out of me - dehydration set in and I was not too good for it.
I didn't keep my fast today in favour of hydrating back to normal levels and continuing more sensibly afterwards.
We went to Newcastle-u-Lyme after and caught Despicable Me 2. We were a good group of 6 - and all adults laughing out loud!

Your absolutely right, as long as you are strict with the diet then you're in ketosis and you just need to spend weeks watching the fat burn off. A few friends saw me in my thobe today and were shocked because of all the weight that has fallen off! alhamdulillah it's been worth it :) anyway hope the month goes well for you and keep us updated!

Inshallah I will make up the day I have missed today in December when the days are shorter.
Interestingly, by controlling my food portions (i.e. being on LipoTrim) has kept my diabetic blood sugars in check in Ramadhan.
Normally, one might get so nervous that they fall into the trap of overeating at night and therefore have more uncontrolled blood sugars and even put on weight during Ramadhan. (it is exactly the excess carbs that stimulate the big insulin responses in our bodies - and it is that insulin which also promotes our bodies to store even more fat).

I'm having an off day today and going to have normal food to rebuild strength and return to LipoTrim from tomorrow onwards.
Hope it is going well for you.

Hey bro that is awesome that you got to make it to the smiler, is it really that good? wow then i'll certainly have to go back iA! Ah sorry to hear about the missed fasts, yeah indeed if you are diabetic it's important to make sure you are looking after your health and sugar levels, it might be an idea as you say just to get them back by eating normal and then slowely coming back onto LT!

Wow it's almost the first week of Ramadhan finished in a few days! Time will fly by, i'm just chugging down my 2 litres of water lol suprisingly I haven't been running to the loo every two seconds, I think the body just soaks it up like a sponge and alhamdulillah lost like 7lbs this week (although somewhat of it will be waterweight) as I had to eat last week!

Anyway take it easy and keep us updated :) wasalaam

I'm finding it so hard to drink the water after iftar, cnt even manage 1 litre :(

Back