Ketosis??

stef2009

Gold Member
Hi all I'm currently looking into starting Atkins as I seem to have stalled on other diets!
I've been reading through some treads and have noticed a few people talking about being in ketosis, is this correct, ketosis as in the vlcd type?

I did a vlcd this year and it has ruined my hair, so im staying well clear, so just wondering if this is similar to a vlcd with ketosis involved?

If that makes sence? Lol x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

hey hun yes ketosis is the same as a vlcd but your not geting all your vitamins and mineral on a vlcd if you get the atkin book and have a read it explains that you can get all you minerals and vitamins if you make the right choices but atkins also suggest taking a multivitamin daily to avoid such side affect during atkins just incase your not making the right decisions and not geting them all , i really would advice geting the book you can get it on amazon 2nd hand very cheap mine only cost me 2.50 delieved so defently worth geting it having a real and seeing if its the right diet for you , all the best on your journey x

Thankyou :) I've realised I must read the book so going to order tonight!

My only worry with ketosis and Atkins was hair loss, ive suffered extreme hair loss with a vlcd I did, I used to have a thick head of hair now it's so thin it's scary, I've been off the vlcd now nearly 3 months and it's still falling out and not growin back.

But im stuck in a Rutt with my dieting I cnt seem to shift this last 40lb so was wanting to try Atkins :)

I take a Multi v everyday anyway so that would be fine, I googled hair loss on Atkins and it seems it's common? Has anyone experienced this??

Thanks xxxx

stef2009 said:
Hi all I'm currently looking into starting Atkins as I seem to have stalled on other diets!
I've been reading through some treads and have noticed a few people talking about being in ketosis, is this correct, ketosis as in the vlcd type?

I did a vlcd this year and it has ruined my hair, so im staying well clear, so just wondering if this is similar to a vlcd with ketosis involved?

If that makes sence? Lol x

Hi, i started to shred hair whilst doing Exante, but then started to take biotin supplement. It took a couple of months but it did stop my hair coming out and also made my nails much stronger. I am now following Atkins and still taking biotin and can certainly reccommend giving it a go - my hair is in good condition and is staying on my head and not ending up in the plug hole!

Hey! Is that the huge capsules from holland and barrett or different ones? I can't swallow capsules what so ever, sad I know lol I've been on the lookout for tablet form ones!! Xxx

stef2009 said:
Hey! Is that the huge capsules from holland and barrett or different ones? I can't swallow capsules what so ever, sad I know lol I've been on the lookout for tablet form ones!! Xxx

I get mine on line from Natures Best - they are capsules, but probably the size of paracetamol caplets x

Thankyou I will Hav a look! Think I defo need something xxx

It's actually completely different to ketosis via VLCD.

On a VLCD you go into ketosis due to starvation - you are burning fat because your body is getting so few calories that it has to eat into it's own stores. But most VLCD products contain sugar and high carb levels.

On Atkins you go into ketosis by restricting sugar - your body burns fat because it's being given no other easy fuel to burn (all carbohydrates are turned into sugar by the body so bread = sugar, rice = sugar). You won't lose hair because you're not putting your body into shock by starving it - meaning it directs energy from non essential processes like hair growth to help you keep functioning.

That's why you need to eat a good amount of calories on Atkins. Eat fat to burn fat.

is it not the same thing ?? i though ketosis is burning the bodies fat stores but the diets are 2 different ways of going in to it but the process is still the same , and on exante i thought u didnt go in to starvation because you were getting everythink you need from the packs and bars sorri have to ask caus epreviously did exante and didnt realise i was putting my body in starvation ??

Hey - sorry to have confused. The actual process is the same but because the reasons you are in it are different the diets aren't switchable without an adjustment.

I don't know the calorie levels of exante - I did Cambridge - but under 800 calories a day is very low calorie and under 500 is starvation. Either will mean your body is trying to conserve energy by slowing non essential processes. All legal VLCD diets, exante, Cambridge, lipotrim etc have a high concentration of vitamins and miinerals in the packs. That's to prevent malnutrition, not to prevent starvation. VLCDs work by making sure you get your vits and mins while barely eating.

VLCDs don't rely on ketosis for weight loss, it's the low calories that cause the loss. Ketosis is just a useful side effect as it kills appetite.

Editing to add: also any diet that causes rapid weight loss can cause hair loss - it's called something like teflum effluvium and it's just the body reacting to a sudden shock. It happens about 3 months after the weight loss and the hair does grow back (you can get TE after pregnancy or after life stress like a bereavement too). It's consistent, longer term hair thinning that can be associated particularly with vlcd.

I also find Perfectil tabs really good for hair and nails ... I've not tried biotin...

Back