Kids paying housekeeping?

I started paying board once I got a full time job last year. I pay about £100 a month and pay for the internet access since I'm the only one that really uses it. Mum was adamant that i wasn't to pay anything when i was in uni or looking for work. If it was up to dad I would still be living there free :p

I paid board from when I started work at 16 (1983 eek!!). Was on £25 a week and only paid £3. BUT my mum saved all my board up and it paid for my wedding

I'll make mine pay something when they start earning

An interesting read, the idea about saving it up for them is a really lovely idea!

Agreed I think it's very important for them to pay their way as hard done as they may think they are it's a bargain compared to living away from home! I stay in a horrible flat at the moment and my bills amount to over £100 a week and that's before food and travel :-/ x

Hi there, I am 41 now and have a daughter of my own - not old enough to work yet - but when I was starting out with jobs I was asked to pay a nominal amount when I started to work full time. That seemed reasonable to me and is probably the route I will go with my kids :D

I would have no problem in paying housekeeping but by not paying it's allowing me to save money and it will allow me to move out sooner.

Same from my end - I don't pay a fixed amount in cash but I do contribute to the food shop, plus I let my parents use my 10% tesco discount which is a help obviously for food shops. I try and do as much around the house as I can in terms of cooking, cleaning etc. My parents are also of the opinion that they'd rather I use the money to save up to move out than give it to them when they don't really need it.

I left school when I was 16 and in an attempt to deter me from doing so my Mum told me that as soon as I left full time education I was officially an "adult" and had to pay my way. I paid £50 a week at 16 (out of £200 ish per week) which then went up to £60 when I started earning minimum wage at 18. It was a deliberately high amount to deter me from leaving school!

I went back to education when I was 19 but still worked full time- my Mum then dropped it to £25 per week. When I started training for my makeup qualification, she gave me the money to pay for it (nearly £3000), which I presume was the money she accrued from taking keep off me when I was working full time!

I'm very organised with money now and, at the age of 27, i've never been in debt. I'm pretty proud of myself for that!

From 16 to 18 my mum didn't ask me to pay anything I was in 6th form and working part time but saving that money for UNi.

I left for UNi and have never moved back, my big sister lived at home for a few years and my mum didn't charge her she just did food shopping sometimes.

I feel a bit hard done by, they paid for my sis to go to 10,000 a year dance college and when fame and fortune didn't happen and she ran back home they didn't make her pay her way, yet I put myself through uni and have paid my own way for everything since I was 18 and still managed to save £40,000 which was meant to be a house deposit and instead paid my sister off for her half of the house we were left. She's getting married this year and yes my mum paid loads towards my wedding but big sister is getting everything bigger and better costing more even though she still has the money I paid her sitting in the bank!

She treats my mum like a cash cow and gets away with it but I borrow £300 to buy a new fridge freezer because I used all my savings to pay my sister and I get a bill!!

Her and her fiancé earn much more than me and my hubby do as well and we have a baby on the way she's always been the favourite I've always been the fat one :(

We work it out as the rule of thirds, she pays us a third, saves a third and spends a third, of course that means she spends two thirds but that's her business!

I'm a firm believer in paying "board". I think once you leave school, no matter what age you are, and you are working then you should contribute.

If still in full time education then I don't agree, you still receive child benefit, tax credit and whatever else people are entitle to, until the age of 19 if in full time education (not including university), so I don't think kids should then pay their parents - even if they have a part time job.

My daughter plans on going to university so I won't have to cross that bridge, but if she comes home afterwards then she'll pay. If she doesn't go then she will pay board, a nominal amount, as I'll want her to save up to move out eventually!!!

Back