Kieran's Lean and Green log :-D

Hi Kieran.
The trouble is, you seem a bit mixed up on what the Atkins diet is. I'm not around much at the moment but have been reading your diary and am a little worried about you. Atkins is very definitely not a calorie restriction diet. Though the appetite restriction factor of ketosis does often mean that we eat slightly less, calorie wise, it is actively important not to restrict your calories too much or your body will feel it needs to reserve supplies and make you fight for every pound. The most successful people you see on this board eat three good meals and a couple of snacks every day, as Atkins recommended. The only time you need to count calories is if your weight loss stalls.

Second, Atkins is a -high fat- diet. The official recommendation is that 65 percent of your daily calories come from fat, 35 percent from protein and 5 percent from carbs. You lose weight fastest the higher the fat percentage in your diet is. I tested that for myself, and again you can see it in evidence on this board.

Some people feel uncomfortable with a high fat diet. Understandably, as it goes against what the diet industry tells us. For them there is the Dukan diet - high protein, low fat, no cheese or butter or oil at all but some fat free dairy for calcium. They eat a much higher ratio of carbs (40 - 60g a day) to compensate for this. On less than 20g carbs, you need the fat.

What you really, really should not be doing is taking two meals off per week. Atkins puts you in a medical state of fat burning called ketosis. In ketosis the fat you eat is not stored, and the fat of your body is burned for fuel. That's why you lose weight, not because of calorie restriction.

The reason we go into ketosis is because we stop eating enough carbs for our body to store. Most people have a tolerance level of about 60 - 80g carbs per day where they can stay in ketosis, though for some people it is as low as 40g.

Taking a meal off and eating, as you suggested, pie and mash, will take you most likely over 100g carbs in one meal. This will take you out of ketosis which will

1) bring your appetite and carb cravings right back. Ketosis is what suppresses your appetite

2) stop you burning fat.

You'll take anywhere from 1 - 3 days to get back into ketosis and in that time your body will be storing food as fat again. Then you might take your second meal off per week and do it to yourself all over again.

It is also by some reports actively dangerous to go in and out of ketosis regularly. What it will certainly do is make your life harder and your weight loss slower.

I'm surprised no one has said this. Your plan isn't clean and green at all, I'm afraid.

Now, there is a lot to be said for reducing both calories and carbs and eating a relatively low carb, low calorie diet. But that's what slimming world red days are for, that's not Atkins. Do you have a copy of the book? Most of this is explained well there.

Also, tomatoes are a restricted, high carb food so the chicken recipe suggested earlier probably wouldn't be Atkins suitable.

Good luck Kieran. Do what works for you, but be wary of creating your own version of a diet like this, which works by very strict rules.

Hello Rosebug, firstly thank you so much for your post - it is something for me to give a great deal of consideration. I am aware of how the diet should be done and to an extent I am tinkering. Why am I tinkering? Well it's a matter of having tried dieting so many times over the years I have come to realise what works for me, I would never say what works for me will work for someone else. Am I purposefully going low calorie? not at all, I have no qualms, but I have seen with my own eyes (your experience may be different) many people on Atkins who eat many thousands of calories and they swear they are doing it right and yet not losing fat - I am merely bearing this in mind. I am concious that it is easy for me to go to town consuming many thousands of calories and experience has shown me this has slowed down my weight loss.

Why am I tinkering; well I want to have a healthy (for me) relationship with food. Having done Atkins before, even during deep ketosis (most signs, i.e., smelly breath and pee, loss of appetite) I would still have sold my granny for a slice of toast and jam. Thing is, I would not be able to stop at that one slice, I would have 2-3 more then say dammit and would fall of the wagon and so feel as though I lost complete control. I would like to be able to have that slice of toast and jam and leave it at that. I am finding that allowing myself 1-2 sensible free meals would allow me to eat something I want without craving for it and being able to say 'no more'.

I am treating the sensible free meals like a safety net. As above, the worst thing I ever did over 10 years of trying to diet was that I would restrict myself so much, and the more I restricted the more I wanted and when I did relent, that's it...I went off the rails big time because I felt I had wasted so much time and effort in dieting. Now, assuming I have 21 meals a week, 1 or two sensible free meals will not stop me losing weight (this is from my own experience).

So then adherence was my problem, I am finding I am sticking to this plan better than I have any other. Today for example a near miracle happened - I went to Waitrose and I purposefully walked up and down the bakery, sweets and chocolate aisle and I picked up a bar of dark chocolate and thought to myself, "I am now in control, I can now have 2 squares and leave it", before I couldn't do that. I didn't buy the chocolate. For me this was an incredible realisation! I have never been able to do that.

Currently, my weight loss is rapid (not necesssarily fat loss) and I feel better, my clothes are looser and I am no longer in discomfort tying up my own shoe laces.

Thank you for your kind wishes, I really valued your post.

Kieran

Obviously many thousands of calories would make anyone gain - I actually track my calories and find that between 1200 and 1800 as a 5'2" woman is a good figure for me. But when I'm doing the diet right, with proper fat levels, that happens naturally. Fat is a greater appetite suppressant than protein alone. If it's working for you right now that's fine, but if you do find yourself stalling in future you might think about upping your fats.

Honestly, I still think you'll be making your life unnecessarily hard with 2 meals off per week. I do understand the feeling of needing to know a food isn't off limits forever - I gave myself 3 days off after 4 months so during that time I knew I'd be able to eat what I liked when I got there. 2 meals a week is just far more likely to scupper you - you say you're not that interested and have not cravings right now. At the very least wait until you really do? It might be better than having a schedule for it and eating carbs just because you can.

Also, I don't usually advocate replacement type foods, but if you go to lowcarbmegastore you can find low carb bread and jam and other products. I did strict induction with no extras for a couple of months but eventually let myself have the odd thing, and it could be a way to let yourself have something like that without taking you out of ketosis.

Otherwise, maybe try just one slice of wholemeal bread, with butter and just a scraping of jam? Or try making a sweetened mim with flaxmeal as a totally legal treat. Stewed rhubarb with splenda is a sweet delicious treat that could replace jam cravings.

I feel that with two high carb meals a week you'd be healthier sticking to a less intensively low carb level the rest of the time instead of giving your body that shock...

However, if you are going to be taking yourself out of ketosis twice a week, I do agree that you should eat lower fat than if you were eating clean and green Atkins. The worst diet is high carb & high fat so you'll be avoiding too high a fat intake while out of ketosis.

You clearly have a plan of action and I hope it continues to work for you, you've obviously thought a lot about it. I think many of us have tinkered in different ways so I'll be keeping an eye to see how you go. Good luck xx

Rosebug, thanks, I shall look up LMC but I am hesitant to eat anything 'frankensteiny' right now, especially as I am losing. My free meal may not be high carb at all! I am seeing some friends on the weekend, they want to go to Nandos, I will probably use up a free meal then. Like I say though, it's about it being reasonable. I don't feel like eating a bowl of pasta, but if I wanted to, I know I could and not feel 'bad' about it and all the other baggage that comes with it. God yes, high carb and high fat would be disasterous. Now the stewed rhubarb is a good idea...I have rhubarb and splenda in at the moment!

Re: fat intake

I shall have a go at making pork scratchings this weekend :)

Aaand, another 2lbs gone. Must be water at the rate I'm losing.

Kieran

x

Yes it is indeed a veggie, I like it but don't eat it anymore because it needs sweetning

Morning Kieran

haha yes, where would we be without wikipedia and google.

Now then. Yesterday my eating was like this:

B: Coffee
L: 2 97% pork sausages, 2 bacon, 1 duck egg and 2 small pieces of black pudding.

Of course as usual I drank a lot of water, easily over 2 litres. I didn't eat any veg yesterday which I have to say, is terrible. To make up for that I shall eat a fair amount of greens today. This morning I awoke to another 1lbs loss, so I am very pleased.

Today, I made the same as last night except I ate only one sausage and left some of the black pudding (the pieces of black pudding were the size of bottle caps). It was delicious but I just could not eat anymore, I felt full and didn't feel like eating - for me, this is unheard of.

Later today, I shall make crispy pork belly and have that with loads of greens.

Another piece of good news, I can now comfortably do up the button on my size 16 shirt, before I used to struggle with the colalr button on the 16 and a half shirt!

Oh thank you all for leaving comments, it really helps keep me motivated.

Kieran

x

Hi kieran, you're doing really well - keep at it:)

Isn't it great when you fit into clothes? Not always ideal - DH and i have a black tie dinner coming up - his DJ now far far too big and my dress starting to look that way. I can see a shopping expedition required - expensive stuff this atkins :eek:

Haha it is! I love black tie, only really because I only get to dress up a few times a year. You could consider taking his dinner jacket to somewhere where they do alterations - I did something similar, cost me £25 to get it taken in from a 46 to a 42.

Now then eating: Much better today.

For dinner I had crispy pork belly and a mountain of mashed broccoli and cauliflower.

I still have some left, so may have it tomorrow, thing is...it is very rich. I don't feel like I'm dieting.

Kieran

x

Morning Kieran,

I had my suits taken in so often in the end the tailor wouldn't do it any more, she said my pockets would be on my arse, LOL, and she was right. :) I bought some cheap off the rack ones which lasted me until I reached goal weight.

Hi Kieran, you are doing well aren't you?
I am also doing clean and green. I have found that some things stall me, cheese being the biggest culprit.
I also lost my appetite for a while and now I really don't want carbs anymore. Strange how our bodies adapt isn't it?
It's great to see the successes on here!

Haha you can do without having your jacket pockets around your arse. I think it would be wise not to have anything taken in too often. It's funny right now, I need a few new pairs of trousers but...I am worried to buy anything as I keep losing :-| No to worry though, I have a plan. I am saving up money so that when I do reach my final goal weight, I shall treat myself to a bespoke suit. Since I have been fat even good clothes look awful on me, like 4lbs of Sh!t in a 2lb bag.

Leeanne, thank you for dropping by :-D

Yes I think the losses I am experiencing have been rapid, but I think this is an initial water loss - but still, and more importantly, I feel better. Can you imagine what a relief it is not to have to think about food all day (When eating breakfast I was thinking what will I have for lunch etc). Also as I have no desire to go off-plan I don't have that awful guilt ridden anxiety that comes with 'cheating'.

I don't know about you but something has occurred to me about people dieting, they often use words like 'good' and 'bad'. "I have been bad, I have eaten bad foods' and "yes, I've been good, I have kept on track". A part of me is wondering how helpful this way of thinking is ya know...it's as though you are judging your self worth according to how you keep to your eating plan.

Kieran

x

I had a bottle of s/f ginger beer yesterday, I don't think it did me any good. Citric acid was high up on the list of ingredients. Put that down to experience and carry on guzzling water.

B: Remainder of pork belly and mashed cauliflower
L: Brie and chorizo salad (think I may have had too much brie).
D: Buffalo burger, thin piece of brie and 2 small pieces of black pudding.

Today has been the first day that I really wanted something sweet. I wanted a custard tart! I had a cup of coffee, then 2 pints of water and then I no longer felt like eating something sweet. My mum told me today that my face looks marginally puffier/watery than yesterday. I think this is an illusion because I had my hair cut today lol.

I think my weight loss is slowing down now as I am not peeing as much as before, I shall carry on drinking a hell of a lot of water.

I don't know how so many of you can diet for such a long time, for years in some cases. It's such a challenge and for me, a real battle of wills. So many people say "well, if you are fat it's easy, just eat less and do more". That advice is like playing the stock market, buy low sell high. It's obvious! but not straight-forward.

Really, hats off to you all.

Yesterday's eating was ok...I again didn't get enough greens, which is a shame as I really like greens.

B: 1 egg, 2 slices of bacon + 2 pints of lemony water.
L: Venison burger with a slice of camembert and leaves
D: Tandoori chicken

Snack: Someone in the forum mentioned diabetic chocolate, I thought I would try it. Never ever again. Ever. The wrapper said 'may have a laxative effect', understatement of the year.

Good news: I have dropped a shirt size and the collar when buttoned is not tight. I have also dropped two jeans sizes. Sadly my chest size is not dropping too quickly. Nice how I can fit into s34 jeans, they are a much nicer cut than s38 jeans.

Hi Kieran

You have to watch the Thornton's and other sugar free chocolate, I get terrible after effects with those. The only thing that doesn't cause me any problem is the Atkins choc - and although it's expensive, I think it's worth it to keep on the straight and narrow :)

Back