Kim's diary of being a new mum

Can't imagine how tough it must be leaving your little girl but sounds like she is a fighter and so glad to hear she is improving ..thinking of you and wishing Rebecca a speedy recovery xxxx

Rebecca is still feeding well, the bacteria screen came back negative ( they expected this as they had already started antibiotics when the sample was taken) they are still waiting for the viral screen results that we were told would be today but now looks like Monday at the earliest :mad:
They did another brain scan that shows some enlargement of a cavity in the brain...which completely freaked me out. He says it could be bleeding or infection (I'm apparently not to worry but that's easier said than done) and they will continue monitoring it and she will possibly need an MRI scan when she's a bit older.

I swear this is just the most stressful situation I can't believe my little girl is 2 weeks old on Sunday and hardly anyone has met her and life has completely stopped for me. Poor Mike had to go back to work today as well :( no compassionate leave allowed. I would not wish this on anyone its a living nightmare :(

Glad she's feeding well.. That's some relief :) Sorry to ask .. But do they know how she caught it?

Can't believe poor Mike had to go back to work. I know business is business but surely there's something they could do so he can be there to support you and Rebecca. Will he be able to take any holidays when she comes home so you can spend some proper time together as a family? I'm so sorry this is happening to you, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. You're always in my thoughts xx

I can't believe he has to work either :( some companies make my blood boil.

I'm just so so sorry your going through this hun. I wish I knew what to say :( xx

Your always in my thoughts too. Keep strong Kim x big hugs xxx

I'm honestly in awe of how well you are coping, it must be horrendous - I can't even imagine how hard it must be. It does sound like she's getting there though if she's feeding well, fingers crossed for her further test results.

It's awful that Mike has to go back so soon, you'd think his work would be more understanding given the situation and give him compassionate leave or something? Businesses can be so cold :( Thinking of you all xxx

Well today we have a meeting with a consultant to discuss Rebecca. I had a bit of a meltdown (yep another!) Yesterday when they told me that the results we have been waiting for still weren't back (were told they would be the Friday and then Monday) and it would still be a few more days!!! Needless to say I sat and fed Rebecca with tears streaming down my face when one of the other mums noticed and came over to talk to me. It suddenly seemed that the nurses took note and chased the doctors. The nurse in charge came over and I explained how confused I was with her care....every doctor telling me something different. Some saying she can come home on antibiotics, others saying she has to stay in. Some saying 2 weeks some saying 3 weeks. It just seemed that no one had made a plan and I need to know the plan.

Im at the hospital from 8.30am and we leave about 10.30/11pm as im trying to exclusively breastfeed during the day time/evening feeds and basically told them I need to know how long I'm going to have to do this.

They also annoyed me as they changed her antibiotics on Sunday and no one told us despite Mike being there when the doctor did his rounds! It was the night staff who told us about it!

Well surprisingly within about 20 mins of my little meltdown happening they had the results of this test we were waiting for (which was negative.... as we expected!) So they were able to stop one of the antibiotics yesterday. So thats fab news. She's now down to 1 antibiotic and I'm hoping they might let us home in a few days but we shall see what the consultant says today!

Rebecca is doing much better she's like a perfectly healthy newborn now.... which makes it frustrating.

I just can't wait to get my baby girl home!

We are doing ok with feeding but im struggling to get enough expressed to cover the night feeds. I am setting my alarm for 3am to get up and express (although last night it either didn't go off or I turned it off and went back to sleep!) And expressing between feeds but there really doesn't seem to be much left as she feeds so well now so I can't wait to get her home and let her tell my body what she needs. She had to have some formula last night as I didn't have enough in the fridge :(

I hope you girls are all ok! Xx

Well today we have a meeting with a consultant to discuss Rebecca. I had a bit of a meltdown (yep another!) Yesterday when they told me that the results we have been waiting for still weren't back (were told they would be the Friday and then Monday) and it would still be a few more days!!! Needless to say I sat and fed Rebecca with tears streaming down my face when one of the other mums noticed and came over to talk to me. It suddenly seemed that the nurses took note and chased the doctors. The nurse in charge came over and I explained how confused I was with her care....every doctor telling me something different. Some saying she can come home on antibiotics, others saying she has to stay in. Some saying 2 weeks some saying 3 weeks. It just seemed that no one had made a plan and I need to know the plan. Im at the hospital from 8.30am and we leave about 10.30/11pm as im trying to exclusively breastfeed during the day time/evening feeds and basically told them I need to know how long I'm going to have to do this. They also annoyed me as they changed her antibiotics on Sunday and no one told us despite Mike being there when the doctor did his rounds! It was the night staff who told us about it! Well surprisingly within about 20 mins of my little meltdown happening they had the results of this test we were waiting for (which was negative.... as we expected!) So they were able to stop one of the antibiotics yesterday. So thats fab news. She's now down to 1 antibiotic and I'm hoping they might let us home in a few days but we shall see what the consultant says today! Rebecca is doing much better she's like a perfectly healthy newborn now.... which makes it frustrating. I just can't wait to get my baby girl home! We are doing ok with feeding but im struggling to get enough expressed to cover the night feeds. I am setting my alarm for 3am to get up and express (although last night it either didn't go off or I turned it off and went back to sleep!) And expressing between feeds but there really doesn't seem to be much left as she feeds so well now so I can't wait to get her home and let her tell my body what she needs. She had to have some formula last night as I didn't have enough in the fridge :( I hope you girls are all ok! Xx

So glad Rebecca is getting better and might be able to come home soon. I totally don't blame you for your meltdown, you've been so strong for so long now and I'd have done exactly the same if I was getting loads of different stories. I have so much respect for medical staff, especially NHS ones, but they just sometimes don't think. To a lot of them (not all) we're just another patient and they see things like this regularly but I don't think they realise that to us it's our life and it doesn't happen to us regularly. Plus they're so stretched, staff wise, it's not fair on them or us when we need answers.
Glad you're finally getting somewhere with them though. Good luck at the meeting, hope you get a plan sorted that means you can finally bring your beautiful little lady home xx

I totally don't blame you for the meltdown either. I agree with Sarah, you've been so so strong throughout this whole time and it must be incredibly hard.
It's good to hear that Rebecca is on the mend :) and I hope she can come home soon hun. You'll be a proper family in no time xxx

Big hugs x wish I could come to Kingston (or wherever you are now) and give you a big hug in person x Maybe when I'm in the area sometime we could meet :) xx

I totally don't blame you for the meltdown either. I agree with Sarah, you've been so so strong throughout this whole time and it must be incredibly hard. It's good to hear that Rebecca is on the mend :) and I hope she can come home soon hun. You'll be a proper family in no time xxx Big hugs x wish I could come to Kingston (or wherever you are now) and give you a big hug in person x Maybe when I'm in the area sometime we could meet :) xx

I don't like all these meets when I'm nowhere near!! I'm jealous ;) xx

Thanks girls im so glad she's on the mend!

Well we had the meeting with the consultant on Tuesday and it was useful he went over things we weren't sure on and answered all my neurotic questions of do we have to be really careful at home with germs... can people visit or should we wait... will it come back etc etc. He was very nice and answered everything very thoroughly.

He has decided that because we haven't been able to pinpoint which bacteria caused the meningitis they are going to treat for worst case. So that means 21 days of iv antibiotics for little miss. She's on day 13 now so until next Friday then shes done.

The best news is that Monday we can take Rebecca home!!!! She will still have her cannula in and we will need to bring her back twice a day for her antibiotics and once a day the community team will come out to us to give the antibiotics. I haven't really told many people as im not counting my chickens until we actually put her in car seat and take her outside on Monday as im paranoid she will do something that means they keep her in! Lol.

I can't believe that she will finally be home! Its been a long, emotionally draining 3 weeks!

Rebecca is back at her birth weight today which is good! And she's feeding well.

This is my monkey today

Xxx

Ah Kim am so so happy to come on and read this update... yay to little Rebecca getting home.. And OMG how cute and content does she look?!
So pleased you've finally got answers and explanations hun... bet you feel like screaming to get out excitement and frustration... xxx

Yay to Rebecca being able to come home. Will keep everything crossed for you that you get to walk out of that hospital with your little miss on Monday, it really is an amazing yet surreal feeling.
And that pic of her is so cute :) xx

Thanks girls more arrangements made today for Monday so certainly looking like it might happen! Little monkey has pretty much fed non stop for the last 2 days. Not sure if it's a growth spurt or she's trying to increase my supply but ouchy is all I have to say! Weve just got home to eat so im about to jump in the bath quickly.

Big news other than going home....stress has obviously helped me but I just got on the scales and im 2lbs away from my booking weight which means im 2lbs away from my bfp weight!!!!! :D so pleased to see the numbers have gone down. Now just got to get them down even further! xxx

Thanks girls more arrangements made today for Monday so certainly looking like it might happen! Little monkey has pretty much fed non stop for the last 2 days. Not sure if it's a growth spurt or she's trying to increase my supply but ouchy is all I have to say! Weve just got home to eat so im about to jump in the bath quickly. Big news other than going home....stress has obviously helped me but I just got on the scales and im 2lbs away from my booking weight which means im 2lbs away from my bfp weight!!!!! :D so pleased to see the numbers have gone down. Now just got to get them down even further! xxx

So pleased that she's coming home to her mummy and daddy!! And well done you on the weight loss :) it definitely motivates you to keep going, doesn't it xxx

Oh hun that's fab news about Monday! :) so pleased to hear that. :) she's so gorgeous too xx love her! Hope your ok hun x not long now!!! Xx

Oh that's fab news about Rebecca!! And good for the doctor to answer everything for you. Sometimes is hard when they talk all doctors language to you, you just have no clue or more questions!!

Yey on the weight loss too xx

Back