Kim's diary of being a new mum

Glad to hear her hearing test went well and good luck for MRI tomorrow!
Hope your first day without Mike goes well, I was nervous when my DH went back to work but was fine :) still find it hard to eat sometimes though!!
Can I ask why you had to use nipple shields? I had to use them as I have flat nipples but I've kind of given up and just express as he doesn't feed very well! I need to google wether breast pump will help bring them out! X

They suggested the nipple shields as she was sleepy (jaundice and as it turned out poorly) and she'd been having a bottle to get fluid in to her and she wasn't having much luck latching so they almost tricked her in to thinking it was a bottle. My nipples aren't big so she does struggle to latch but she eventually manages. My understanding is that a pump should help. Did you find the shields helped bring them out? I find rebecca latches well if she starts on the shield then I take it off. X

They suggested the nipple shields as she was sleepy (jaundice and as it turned out poorly) and she'd been having a bottle to get fluid in to her and she wasn't having much luck latching so they almost tricked her in to thinking it was a bottle. My nipples aren't big so she does struggle to latch but she eventually manages. My understanding is that a pump should help. Did you find the shields helped bring them out? I find rebecca latches well if she starts on the shield then I take it off. X

I might try the shields then take them off, he gets milk through them and they come out, think bottle had made him lazy!

Do you have a bouncer? Thomas spends a lot of time asleep in that through the day x

I might try the shields then take them off, he gets milk through them and they come out, think bottle had made him lazy!

Do you have a bouncer? Thomas spends a lot of time asleep in that through the day x

It's definitely worth a try and yes the bottle makes them lazy but I'm sure he will be able to feed its just going to take practice (or that's what I tell myself!)

We've got a swing that she will sometimes sleep in but it depends on her majesty's mood lol. We have got a bouncer that I haven't unpacked yet so may have to do that tomorrow xx

Eabha has been asleep for HOURS laid on our sofa!!!!!
We were just saying how its the longest sleep she's had so far without a wriggle/interruption
Haha oh yes I'm sure Rebecca would sleep well on the sofa....much more comfy than her crib! Lol xx

Well rebecca had her MRI today and she was a superstar and slept right until about 2 mins before it ended.... it got really loud and made her jump so she spat her dummy out and I couldn't reach in far enough to comfort her much or put the dummy back in (not that she likes the dummy much so it probably wouldn't have helped!).

Shes been much more content today.... yesterday she was a misery and was overtired I think and just wanted to eat but was too tired to eat so would fall asleep then remember she was hungry and wake up and cry.... vicious cycle!

She's currently asleep on daddy and I've had a lovely long hot bath and now just waiting for the next feed then hopefully bed time for us all.

Hey Kim, just catching up with your diary after the weekends events :)
Clever little Rebecca for being so good during the scan. Other than needing the scan how is she?
Hope you, Mike and the little lady are ok xx

Well rebecca had her MRI today and she was a superstar and slept right until about 2 mins before it ended.... it got really loud and made her jump so she spat her dummy out and I couldn't reach in far enough to comfort her much or put the dummy back in (not that she likes the dummy much so it probably wouldn't have helped!). Shes been much more content today.... yesterday she was a misery and was overtired I think and just wanted to eat but was too tired to eat so would fall asleep then remember she was hungry and wake up and cry.... vicious cycle! She's currently asleep on daddy and I've had a lovely long hot bath and now just waiting for the next feed then hopefully bed time for us all.

Bless her, what a good girl! How long do you have to wait for the results?

The falling asleep on the boob thing is so hard to deal with, Seth does it a lot, he'll sleep for 10 minutes then be hungry and cranky as he's not had enough food or sleep. So frustrating!

I'm still waiting for my bath, I never get enough time in the day when he's not feeding! Will have to get Colin to give him a bottle of ebm one day... xxx

Awww bless little Rebecca x hope all is ok x

How are you today Mrs? Hope you're well xxx

Hey Kim, just catching up with your diary after the weekends events :)
Clever little Rebecca for being so good during the scan. Other than needing the scan how is she?
Hope you, Mike and the little lady are ok xx

I bet you are still on cloud nine after such a fantastic weekend :) so glad you had the perfect day :)

Rebecca is fine she's doing great.... In fact you wouldn't know she was so poorly now to look at her. We are just trying to get in to a routine now Mike has gone back to work.

How are you and Cole doing? Xx

Bless her, what a good girl! How long do you have to wait for the results?

The falling asleep on the boob thing is so hard to deal with, Seth does it a lot, he'll sleep for 10 minutes then be hungry and cranky as he's not had enough food or sleep. So frustrating!

I'm still waiting for my bath, I never get enough time in the day when he's not feeding! Will have to get Colin to give him a bottle of ebm one day... xxx

The MRI results will hopefully get at our follow up appointment at the end of the month.

Ah yes she is a bugger for falling asleep. She did it last night at the 2am feed...I had to turn all the lights on to get her to wake up as I knew she'd be awake again in no time if I didn't get her to feed longer!

I had to time my bath carefully as she'd just fed so mike held her while I had my bath. Luckily yesterday she left 2-3hrs between most of her feeds. Apart from in the morning when she fed 3 times in 2hrs! However she was very good last night and slept in her crib after each feed...1st time she's done that!

How are you and little Seth doing? Xx

Awww bless little Rebecca x hope all is ok x

How are you today Mrs? Hope you're well xxx

We are good thanks I'm feeling tired today so we've had a lazy day catching up on Call the Midwife and sleeping! I had planned to do some photos of Rebecca but that didn't get done so there is always another day!
How are you and your gorgeous little lady? Xx

I bet you are still on cloud nine after such a fantastic weekend :) so glad you had the perfect day :) Rebecca is fine she's doing great.... In fact you wouldn't know she was so poorly now to look at her. We are just trying to get in to a routine now Mike has gone back to work. How are you and Cole doing? Xx

It seems like ages since now, can't believe it was only four days ago. Just loving being married, it's such a nice feeling :)

Aw that's so good about Rebecca, bless her she's been through so much in the last few weeks. We're still not in a routine as such. We do specific things at bedtime and in the morning but nothing is on a particular time scale. We want Cole to have a bedtime now he's going on his own and we're using the video monitor but food wise I'm happy for him to let us know when he's hungry rather than aim for a four hour thing or whatever. Xx

How have you found mike going back to work, early pregnancy for me yet but its something im already concerned about!

I bet you are still on cloud nine after such a fantastic weekend :) so glad you had the perfect day :) Rebecca is fine she's doing great.... In fact you wouldn't know she was so poorly now to look at her. We are just trying to get in to a routine now Mike has gone back to work. How are you and Cole doing? Xx The MRI results will hopefully get at our follow up appointment at the end of the month. Ah yes she is a bugger for falling asleep. She did it last night at the 2am feed...I had to turn all the lights on to get her to wake up as I knew she'd be awake again in no time if I didn't get her to feed longer! I had to time my bath carefully as she'd just fed so mike held her while I had my bath. Luckily yesterday she left 2-3hrs between most of her feeds. Apart from in the morning when she fed 3 times in 2hrs! However she was very good last night and slept in her crib after each feed...1st time she's done that! How are you and little Seth doing? Xx We are good thanks I'm feeling tired today so we've had a lazy day catching up on Call the Midwife and sleeping! I had planned to do some photos of Rebecca but that didn't get done so there is always another day! How are you and your gorgeous little lady? Xx

Bless her, sounds like she's doing really well! How long is she sleeping for at night? We're trialing no formula at night today and so far I've had 3 hours sleep! :/ I really want to make this work but good grief I'm knackered already...

It seems like ages since now, can't believe it was only four days ago. Just loving being married, it's such a nice feeling :)

Aw that's so good about Rebecca, bless her she's been through so much in the last few weeks. We're still not in a routine as such. We do specific things at bedtime and in the morning but nothing is on a particular time scale. We want Cole to have a bedtime now he's going on his own and we're using the video monitor but food wise I'm happy for him to let us know when he's hungry rather than aim for a four hour thing or whatever. Xx

Oh we definitely aren't in a routine....I think I just want to get myself in to a routine so I can do things otherwise I'll end up sitting cuddling her all day every day ;)

Bless her I don't even have a bath routine yet as each time I want to bath her she seems to know and wants to feed constantly so I never get a big enough gap to allow for a bath. Maybe tonight or tomorrow lol. Not sure im confident enough to do it when im alone! How often do you bath Cole?

How have you found mike going back to work, early pregnancy for me yet but its something im already concerned about!
Congratulations on your pregnancy! :) its actually been ok mike going back to work, it was strange for the first day but its fine now. I send him photos through the day as he misses her. I think the bit I find stressful is at night knowing mike needs to sleep. Luckily he seems to sleep through most things and I whip her out and in to another room when she wants food!

Bless her, sounds like she's doing really well! How long is she sleeping for at night? We're trialing no formula at night today and so far I've had 3 hours sleep! :/ I really want to make this work but good grief I'm knackered already...
Shes sleeping from 2-3hrs at the moment. Shes gone 4hrs between feeds the last 2 nights but she wasnt asleep the whole time! Last night I ended up giving rebecca 20mls of expressed milk as she would not settle so you could try that if he gives you the option to express at any point in the day! However much I want rebecca to just have breast milk I do want her to take bottles so my mum or sisters could have her for a couple of hours so im keen for her to have a bottle every now and then.
I was really tired yesterday so spent time resting so make sure you do that hun. Bf is exhausting enough let alone with hardly any sleep! Xxx

I bath Eabha only twice a week. But I find its much less of a struggle to do on my own. When J does it with me there hands n arms everywhere n she gets stressed. When it's me n her there's not a tear n tries to nod off in there she's so relaxed :)

I bath Eabha only twice a week. But I find its much less of a struggle to do on my own. When J does it with me there hands n arms everywhere n she gets stressed. When it's me n her there's not a tear n tries to nod off in there she's so relaxed :)

We Bath Oliver 2-3 times a week. He has delicate skin so was told not to do it any more often yet. Some people do it every night. Don't think there is an right or wrong way. I prefer it when there are two of is, but have done it alone. Just have to be more organised having the towel laid out if I'm on my own. X

Yea I was told the same. I had intended on only bathing twice a week anyway but checked that was sufficient with PHN. She did say tho if a baby is really unsettled they'd advise a bath before bed to relax n tire them so it's just whatever suits u n ur baby as u say... No right r wrong :)

We bath him 2-3 times a week too. We always do it together, usually Sunday night as Tom finishes at 4.30 then on each of his days off. We've just bought one of those Angelcare bath supports so we can start doing it in our bath rather than his baby bath :) xx

We bath him 2-3 times a week too. We always do it together, usually Sunday night as Tom finishes at 4.30 then on each of his days off. We've just bought one of those Angelcare bath supports so we can start doing it in our bath rather than his baby bath :) xx

I need to get one of those, bathing Seth in a baby bath is nightmarish now as he's so long he can kick off the bottom and flip himself over. He nearly ended up dunking himself on Monday! We bath him together too and we aim for 2-3 times a week as the midwives advised when we were discharged from hospital. Unless we have 'incidents' that require further washing... ;)

I need to get one of those, bathing Seth in a baby bath is nightmarish now as he's so long he can kick off the bottom and flip himself over. He nearly ended up dunking himself on Monday! We bath him together too and we aim for 2-3 times a week as the midwives advised when we were discharged from hospital. Unless we have 'incidents' that require further washing... ;)

We just used it for the first time and Cole loved it. I didn't want one with a solid back support as we'd still have to lift him to wash his back but this one has a really supportive plastic mesh type back that moulds to him so I put my hand underneath and splashed the water upwards. I think he'd have stayed in there all afternoon, he was kicking his legs like mad :)

Back