Kim's diary of being a new mum

Thanks hun. I think even though I know it's a growth spurt its hard to imagine it ending and my god she does make me sore when she feeds for 3/4/5/6hrs almost constantly (only breaking to nap for 5 mins then screams like she's never been fed the minute her eyes open). I'm glad to know it's still hard with ff as last night I was so tempted to give up bf but if it's still difficult I will ride this one out hopefully with an ounce of sanity left lol. Aww thanks hun in glad it's not just me...id never get angry with rebecca but was so frustrated that almost 5 hrs of feeding and she was still acting like she was starving.... even though I know she's getting milk it makes me doubt my supply (I think that's what upsets me most is thinking I don't have enough for her). She took about 10mls of formula last night then promptly threw it up so I know she didn't need it which did help a bit. Ah I am trying to get out and about if I can no way I can sit in the house just feeding constantly. Even if it's just going to my mums I have company and someone to talk to while I feed when mike is at work. A walk sounds like a good idea I think I'll try that today. Shes actually not too bad in the day... Will feed 2hrly sometimes 3 if shes in the car as she sleeps. It's from 6pm to whenever I deem it to be bedtime she feeds constantly. I don't think I've eaten a dinner with 2 hands in about a week its always eaten over the top of her feeding with 1 hand lol. I think I just let things get to me last night but it doesn't help that ppl say 'express so mike can feed one bottle' uhhh yeah tell me when I've got time to express when she's feeding all the time! I barely have time to shower and eat let alone do anything else! I know it WILL get easier just feels a long way off. Chocolate has to be the answer surely lol. Xx

I will admit to getting frustrated with Seth so many times, call me an awful mother but I even shouted once and then burst into tears cos I felt so guilty!

That's the problem with growth spurts and why I ended up not topping up more than I did, they don't need the milk so it just comes back! The sucking is purely to increase supply. I have my mum round a lot, she loves to see Seth and I get to at least have conversation while I feed. Seth's variable in the daytime, he can go a while without feeding but he won't sleep so I can't either. So if he has a bad night (like last night) I wind up dead on my feet!

Anyone who says that about expressing has clearly never tried it lol, it's virtually impossible with a cluster feeding baby! The only time I can express is if Seth goes four hours plus at night. I've started freezing what I express now though so hopefully I can build a little stash so I can have a break every so often! ;) Hang in there, it will get better xxx

My mum always calls it the "arsenic" hours as from about 4:30pm babies, toddlers, children demand to be feed :)

Breath deep, your doing really well! You will find the light at the end of the tunnel and it will get easier :) maybe not for a few weeks but you have her whole life to look forward to, and you can always keep in mind that when your old and grey you can get her back ;) lol little funny things to keep you sane ..

My oldest son was like that feeding all day and all night, day after day .. Sometimes getting him to go up and down the stairs fetching stuff makes me smile as he moans .. You do nothing for me :) little does he remember I did every thing for him !

Hope her growth spurt is over soon.
I've been there too when it seems too much and you have a cry, sleep deprivation is a nightmare! Xx

Big hugs hun xxxxxxxxx

Iv so far only been thru 1 growth spurt which was fine but due her first developmental spurt next week. Going by the app it's pretty tough on the little ones so not expecting it to b easy. And it's due right when Jonathan is working a mental week of 14 hour (n longer) days so I'm basically a single mother next week during it!!! I may not come out the other side lol

Mike sounds like a proper doting daddy n an absolute gem for u

Hugs to u n gorgeous Rebecca xxx

Frances what app do you use for this? Sounds interesting xx
Kim I hope that you have had a better night xx

How's little lady been Kim? Hopefully she'll be over the growth spurt soon, they are such killers :/ xxx

Frances what app do you use for this? Sounds interesting xx
Kim I hope that you have had a better night xx
Its called the Wonder Weeks.. Tells me how many days I have til a leap is due and what happens during the leap and how best to comfort baby through it (which basically for the first is to cuddle n hold as much possible!)

Thanks girls. Rebecca is still in the midst of the growth spurt although she did go 3.5hrs between feeds this afternoon but has made up for that with the last feed being on and off for 2hrs!

We didn't get much sleep last night... Well none actually until 6am when I slept with her in my arms. I'm unsure if she was asleep or not but she was so noisy with her grunts, groans, hiccups, burping, farting and all that other noises she saves for bedtime! She had a lovely poo explosion at about 4.30/5am so had to change her completely (it was everywhere!) And then she wanted more food so she fed and then we cuddled in bed and had a couple of hours sleep before the next feed.

Tonight mike is going to give her a bottle so I can get a few hours sleep as I'm exhausted hopefully it means that when she wakes for the next feed I'll have a good supply to really settle her.... watch this space lol!

We are currently battling with her trying to get her to sleep longer than 5 mins in her crib/swing/chair anywhere that isn't arms but we are losing at the moment!
Rebecca 1
mum & dad 0
is how the score stands lol.

We are going to try white noise to see if that helps at night we are also good to raise the end of the crib a bit on books so she's not completely flat.

Can I ask a question - has anyone noticed that their babies heads are warmer than their bodies? Rebecca will often feel quite warm on her head (top of her head mainly) but her body is a normal temperature when I take it (36.2 - 36.6 normally). I think the fact she was so poorly has made me paranoid about her temperature but just wondered if it's just us with hot heads?

Hope all you girls and bubbas are well :) xx

I do the same with Cole's head. I'm paranoid that he'll end up poorly and I'll miss it so I'm constantly asking Tom to get the thermometer out. I could drive myself mad!!! His head is also loads warmer than his body x

I do the same with Cole's head. I'm paranoid that he'll end up poorly and I'll miss it so I'm constantly asking Tom to get the thermometer out. I could drive myself mad!!! His head is also loads warmer than his body x
Oh im glad its not just Rebecca, I mean it makes sense as they lose heat from their heads but im so paranoid as Rebecca's only symptom of the meningitis was a temperature so im constantly checking it. It really coulf drive you mad couldnt it? X

Oh im glad its not just Rebecca, I mean it makes sense as they lose heat from their heads but im so paranoid as Rebecca's only symptom of the meningitis was a temperature so im constantly checking it. It really coulf drive you mad couldnt it? X

That's what scares me. He gets little spots on his body sometimes, I think they're heat spots, but I'm forever checking them. Must be even scarier for you having already gone through it :( the worry will never end now we're mummies x

Bless you, you must be knackered! Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight while Mike holds the fort, these growth spurts are crazy tiring.

Definitely try the white noise, it's made a huge difference to Seth's ability to sleep. We really struggled to get him to sleep in his basket before we started using it so hopefully it'll help Rebecca too :)

Yep, Seth has a warm head too! Glad it's not just me that gets panicky about it. It must be especially nerve wracking after Rebecca being so ill :( We'll all be worrying forever! xxx

Last edited:
Hmmm well its 4.30 and this is the first feed needed tonight... lets not even go there with how full my boobs are lol...nor how much they've leaked but wow the monkey slept and I slept with not too much noise! Ok granted Mike stayed up until 1am with her (I feel bad he has to get up at 6 for work oops!) But I eventually got to sleep at 11.30 (was trying from about 10) as Rebecca was screaming the place down...tummy ache i think as we had a delightful nappy explosion during that time and lots of farting!

She's finished her feed...poor child could barely keep up with the flow of milk where its been a while but at least I know she's had a good feed! So off to put her back down and hopefully get another few hours sleep! I wont know myself if she sleeps now too!

Hmmm well its 4.30 and this is the first feed needed tonight... lets not even go there with how full my boobs are lol...nor how much they've leaked but wow the monkey slept and I slept with not too much noise! Ok granted Mike stayed up until 1am with her (I feel bad he has to get up at 6 for work oops!) But I eventually got to sleep at 11.30 (was trying from about 10) as Rebecca was screaming the place down...tummy ache i think as we had a delightful nappy explosion during that time and lots of farting! She's finished her feed...poor child could barely keep up with the flow of milk where its been a while but at least I know she's had a good feed! So off to put her back down and hopefully get another few hours sleep! I wont know myself if she sleeps now too!

Yay, well done Rebecca! We had a really good night too so hopefully a corner has been turned all round. I hear you with the mega boobs, I woke up with huge, full boobs this morning. I usually express a bit if that happens to make it easier for Seth to latch and I get some to store, I can usually get 2-3oz to save plus a good feed off both sides for Seth.

Hope you're getting some more sleep now xxx

Last edited:
Well done little lady and well done Mike for letting Mummy go get some sleep. :) x

Well we slept for another couple of hours... she was more noisy as she was making everyone know she needed a poo. Got up to feed her and while she was feeding she wee'd and poo'd and it escaped the nappy on to me and the feeding cushion.....yuck! So we've just had a complete clothes change (both of us!), and she's back to feeding again.

I dont tend to change her nappy in the night unless its really wet/dirty but I sense I may have to as these explosions are happening more and more. Do you guys change nappies during the night? Xx

I only did if wet/ dirty otherwise just left it till morning ..

Well we slept for another couple of hours... she was more noisy as she was making everyone know she needed a poo. Got up to feed her and while she was feeding she wee'd and poo'd and it escaped the nappy on to me and the feeding cushion.....yuck! So we've just had a complete clothes change (both of us!), and she's back to feeding again. I dont tend to change her nappy in the night unless its really wet/dirty but I sense I may have to as these explosions are happening more and more. Do you guys change nappies during the night? Xx

I change Cole's at 11pm when we get him up to feed him but then wait until 7am when he gets up to do the next one but it's really full on a morning so think I'm just gonna start changing it at 4am or whenever he wakes for his night bottle. He's only ever once poo'd in the night and he was about two weeks old so luckily (touch wood) we've had no explosive poos xx

Well we slept for another couple of hours... she was more noisy as she was making everyone know she needed a poo. Got up to feed her and while she was feeding she wee'd and poo'd and it escaped the nappy on to me and the feeding cushion.....yuck! So we've just had a complete clothes change (both of us!), and she's back to feeding again. I dont tend to change her nappy in the night unless its really wet/dirty but I sense I may have to as these explosions are happening more and more. Do you guys change nappies during the night? Xx

Argh, nappy 'splosion! I had a poo down the nighty incident a few weeks back, no fun.

I just take it as it comes with changing, if he wakes for feeding I usually change him too as he generally needs it. If he doesn't wake up I don't wake him though. He quite often poops noisily while he's feeding (nice!) so I usually give him five minutes to make sure he's done and then interrupt feeding to change him. Then he's back on the boob afterwards and he'll generally settle after that.

I know you mentioned nappies being a bit big on her, could that be part of the problem? We had lots of leakage issues with pampers until I realised that they were too big and swapped to a different brand. When we went back to pampers later on they were fine cos he's grown a bit. xxx

Haha I've had a few explosive poos now! Doesn't help he often waits until nappy is open to go! lol
I change him each time before a feed and there's always either a pee or both unless I know he's done a poo the I'll change him straight away xx

Back