Kim's diary of being a new mum

She's definitely smiled at her toys and I'm pretty sure after some feeds she looks me in the eyes then smiles but I'm never sure if it's wind as she normally burps after that lol.

We are currently seeing if she will settle herself in her crib. I HATE listening to her cry but I'm not sure what else to do she hardly slept in her crib at all last night and although I don't mind her sleeping with me I don't want her to get used to that. It's just an endless battle she wont settle on her own. Missy maybe it's the breastfeeding that stops them settling anywhere other than on someone?!? I'm so close to going in and getting her up and letting her sleep on me.... which I know isn't the answer!

Oh and can I ask how I get my diary moved and where is the best place? I notice lots of you have moved to silver members diaries.... is it ok to get mine moved there even though I'm not technically doing anything but I will be starting slimming world soon as I'm fed up of feeling fat and frumpy! Just need to go to group so I can find out what I need to do with breastfeeding as I can't find out online... unless anyone knows if I should have extra healthy extras etc? I would like to try doing it from home if I can before going to a group as I can't really leave rebecca in the evenings while she's cluster feeding.

Oh and can I ask a very silly question but how do I change the title of my thread? Lol I feel very silly not knowing how and im sure tiredness isnt helping me figure it out! Xx

Last edited:
Oh and can I ask how I get my diary moved and where is the best place? I notice lots of you have moved to silver members diaries.... is it ok to get mine moved there even though I'm not technically doing anything but I will be starting slimming world soon as I'm fed up of feeling fat and frumpy! Just need to go to group so I can find out what I need to do with breastfeeding as I can't find out online... unless anyone knows if I should have extra healthy extras etc? I would like to try doing it from home if I can before going to a group as I can't really leave rebecca in the evenings while she's cluster feeding. Oh and can I ask a very silly question but how do I change the title of my thread? Lol I feel very silly not knowing how and im sure tiredness isnt helping me figure it out! Xx

Think you just have to have a certain number of posts and you can email the moderator, they're listed under the name of the group.
I asked Frances how to change title lol you go to the first post in your diary and edit it.
Here's a pic about Healthy Extras and breastfeeding x

Attachments

• image-2814964833.jpg
    image-2814964833.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 56
She's definitely smiled at her toys and I'm pretty sure after some feeds she looks me in the eyes then smiles but I'm never sure if it's wind as she normally burps after that lol. We are currently seeing if she will settle herself in her crib. I HATE listening to her cry but I'm not sure what else to do she hardly slept in her crib at all last night and although I don't mind her sleeping with me I don't want her to get used to that. It's just an endless battle she wont settle on her own. Missy maybe it's the breastfeeding that stops them settling anywhere other than on someone?!? I'm so close to going in and getting her up and letting her sleep on me.... which I know isn't the answer!

Bless you, it's so hard to know what to do :( I'm firmly of the belief that you can't spoil a baby with cuddles when they're as tiny as our babies and from reading up it seems that babies often can't really self soothe until 4-6 months old. So it's worth trying but if they can't do it then it's something to revisit later. I know I'm probably sounding like a right hippy but if your instincts are to go to her then do it. xxx

Oh and can I ask how I get my diary moved and where is the best place? I notice lots of you have moved to silver members diaries.... is it ok to get mine moved there even though I'm not technically doing anything but I will be starting slimming world soon as I'm fed up of feeling fat and frumpy! Just need to go to group so I can find out what I need to do with breastfeeding as I can't find out online... unless anyone knows if I should have extra healthy extras etc? I would like to try doing it from home if I can before going to a group as I can't really leave rebecca in the evenings while she's cluster feeding. Oh and can I ask a very silly question but how do I change the title of my thread? Lol I feel very silly not knowing how and im sure tiredness isnt helping me figure it out! Xx

Silver members is anything goes - doesn't matter if you're on a diet as such. I'm not really doing anything either but I've had my diary there for yonks now as I didn't want all and sundry reading it on the main SW page! xxx

Think you just have to have a certain number of posts and you can email the moderator, they're listed under the name of the group.
I asked Frances how to change title lol you go to the first post in your diary and edit it.
Here's a pic about Healthy Extras and breastfeeding x
Aww thanks hun that's brilliant I am going to try and do some meal plans...wow you get loads of healthy extras im going to have trouble using them all!

Bless you, it's so hard to know what to do :( I'm firmly of the belief that you can't spoil a baby with cuddles when they're as tiny as our babies and from reading up it seems that babies often can't really self soothe until 4-6 months old. So it's worth trying but if they can't do it then it's something to revisit later. I know I'm probably sounding like a right hippy but if your instincts are to go to her then do it. xxx

MIke caved and bought her in to the living room with us...she was on major sleep strike. My problem is she's not sleeping in her crib at night. I fed her at 11.30 she was sound asleep by midnight...I waited 15mins then took her to bed. Within 10mins of being in hrr crib she's wide awake. I rocked her and continuously put her dummy back in until I caved out of desperation for some sleep at about 1.45 and the moment she was in my arms she was asleep. I slept (well dosed) with her until 3am when I woke as I was too hot so I thought id put her in her crib as she was sound asleep and bam wide awake...commence rocking and dummy replacing until 3.50 when I decided she probably needed a feed. Im exhausted and don't know what to do. Im trying so hard to let mike sleep so he can function at work but the only way I can sleep is with her in my arms which I know wont help the situation but out of desperation for some sleep I do it.
Its now 4.30 and she's fed herself to sleep but I know if I put her down she will wake up and then wake mike up and ill just have to rock her constantly. So im sitting here crying as all I want to do is sleep and I know its not going to happen unless I take her to bed with me and mike gets cross when I do that but he doesn't understand he thinks he's tired but at least hes getting a few hours sleep a night im surviving on next to nothing.

I just don't know what to do :(

Silver members is anything goes - doesn't matter if you're on a diet as such. I'm not really doing anything either but I've had my diary there for yonks now as I didn't want all and sundry reading it on the main SW page! xxx

Ah thanks I'll try and get my thread moved there I think! Xx

Oh hun, I'm not sure what else to suggest :( My only other thought is that obviously she's happy in your arms and in an enclosed space - could it be that the crib's too big for her? Maybe try a Moses basket if you have one, or roll up some blankets around her in the crib so she's supported in one position? It might also mean that she's less likely to startle awake. Bless you, I do understand as we had this problem with Seth early on and he still does it sometimes now, which is when I get my awake for the day at 2.30 nights! The only way we could get Seth down was to put him down asleep, very slowly and carefully, leaving a hand under his head for a while after putting the rest of him down and popping the white noise on. Even that's not fool proof but it's the best method we found. Massive hugs lovely, it's so so hard I know xxx

Aww Kim hope you're ok xx
You should express for one night and let Mike do one night shift at weekend, my DH does it and it definitely gives him an insight into how hard it can be!
Hope you managed a little more sleep xxx

With my youngest son I slept with him in our bed as he wouldn't settle in his cot at night, I kept him on the out side of me away from my OH .. I saw this in mother care seem a good idea

Attachments

• image-2122778216.jpg
    image-2122778216.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 50
Sarah has a point with the crib. Cole wouldn't settle properly in his Moses when he was little so we put a rolled up blanket down the side of him so he was being constantly touched.
I really cant think of anything else to suggest. Even though it was only three months ago he was born I can't even remember what else we did with Cole to get him to sleep. Does she sleep in her Moses during the day? X

Hey hun, hope today's been a good one for you and little miss. I hope tonight's a better one for you too xxx

Oh hun, sorry I missed this :(

I hope you are ok. It can be so frustrating when they won't sleep. I'm lucky in that Amelia will sleep anywhere, but when she's having a whingy moment all she wants is your arms and this probably sounds horrible, but it can be frustrating when you have things to do, or when you want to sleep yourself can't it.

I agree with Danni - could you not express and let Mike take over one night? A break would do you the world of good, plus he can see how difficult it can be.

I have so much admiration for you BF/expressing mummies, I really do. It must be so hard at times xx

Big hugs, and hope you're having a better day <3 xxxx

Thanks for all your comments girls. We had 2 pretty good night's following that awful night so I got some sleep...poor mike stayed up the night after until 2am (he gets up for work at 6!) So I could sleep so I felt so much better. The second night my mum gave me a childs bed guard for the bed so if she does have to sleep in the bed with me at least I can sleep and not worry about her falling out. I was so worried about that that I was putting her in the middle, but then I was worried about her overheating so at least now I know she can't overheat and can't fall out! In fact she's just slept for 3hrs in the bed with me (not intentional I was cuddling her back to sleep then meant to put her back in the crib) and I know I've slept quite well considering she was with me. Shes just fed so will put her back in the crib. Im just going to keep trying with the crib as I need her to get used to it.

I bought a wrap/sling so I can wear her in that during the day if shes having a fussy day and I can have 2 hands and not be confined to the sofa holding her. So far she's slept really well in it and I've been able to do washing or make myself lunch etc which is very exciting!

I spoke to my mum who thought it was just because I'm breastfeeding that she's more clingy and alwaysv wanting to be close so as I want to continue bf I have to embrace that she wants me all the time. Plus my friends baby was similar and now he is crawling he isn't interested so much in mummy but what he can get up to so I know it won't last so in going to try and cherish it more than resent it!

Hope you girls are ask doing well :) xxx

Thanks for all your comments girls. We had 2 pretty good night's following that awful night so I got some sleep...poor mike stayed up the night after until 2am (he gets up for work at 6!) So I could sleep so I felt so much better. The second night my mum gave me a childs bed guard for the bed so if she does have to sleep in the bed with me at least I can sleep and not worry about her falling out. I was so worried about that that I was putting her in the middle, but then I was worried about her overheating so at least now I know she can't overheat and can't fall out! In fact she's just slept for 3hrs in the bed with me (not intentional I was cuddling her back to sleep then meant to put her back in the crib) and I know I've slept quite well considering she was with me. Shes just fed so will put her back in the crib. Im just going to keep trying with the crib as I need her to get used to it. I bought a wrap/sling so I can wear her in that during the day if shes having a fussy day and I can have 2 hands and not be confined to the sofa holding her. So far she's slept really well in it and I've been able to do washing or make myself lunch etc which is very exciting! I spoke to my mum who thought it was just because I'm breastfeeding that she's more clingy and alwaysv wanting to be close so as I want to continue bf I have to embrace that she wants me all the time. Plus my friends baby was similar and now he is crawling he isn't interested so much in mummy but what he can get up to so I know it won't last so in going to try and cherish it more than resent it! Hope you girls are ask doing well :) xxx

Glad you've slept better! Maybe cosleeping is something to consider? I know a lot of people do it and bf and it's meant to be pretty safe as long as you make sure she's got the quilt off her, pillows are out of the way, you're positioned so you can't roll over etc.

I think it's something we have to accept with bf, they will look to us more than daddy for food and comfort. Did you get a caboo in the end? I firmly believe that there's nowt wrong with having your baby close to you and holding her a lot, she'll grow up secure in the knowledge that mummy's there for her always and hopefully that'll lead to her being more secure and independent as she grows. And like you say she's only tiny and one day she'll not want cuddles so much! I'm trying to enjoy the cuddles while I can, already my boy his getting happier with having time playing on his own and while it's good to have a bit of time back I hope he still has hugs for mummy for a long time to come :) xxx

Glad you've slept better! Maybe cosleeping is something to consider? I know a lot of people do it and bf and it's meant to be pretty safe as long as you make sure she's got the quilt off her, pillows are out of the way, you're positioned so you can't roll over etc.

I think it's something we have to accept with bf, they will look to us more than daddy for food and comfort. Did you get a caboo in the end? I firmly believe that there's nowt wrong with having your baby close to you and holding her a lot, she'll grow up secure in the knowledge that mummy's there for her always and hopefully that'll lead to her being more secure and independent as she grows. And like you say she's only tiny and one day she'll not want cuddles so much! I'm trying to enjoy the cuddles while I can, already my boy his getting happier with having time playing on his own and while it's good to have a bit of time back I hope he still has hugs for mummy for a long time to come :) xxx

Well I ended up with rebecca in bed with me all night, I tried to get her to settle for an hour after the 4am feed and decided I'd be going all night so in to bed she came and she slept instantly and without a dummy! I woke up to her sucking my pj top and pecking at me.. I think she was telling me it was time for breakfast lol. I feel happier cosleeping now I've got the bed guard as I can make sure shes away from the duvet and pillows without having to worry about mike moving the covers etc. So all in all ill keep putting her in the crib but if she needs to be close she can be now and we can both sleep.

Yes I got a close caboo and I love it...I really love having her near me and it's lovely when she sleeps so soundly next to me.

I am sure in a few more weeks she will be much more interested in playing so won't need to be so close so I'm going to enjoy it and as you said I don't think you can do wrong by keeping them close to you.

How was little Seth last night? Rebecca slept from 12am to 4 am then 5am to 8am so not bad at all! Xx

Sounds like a good idea with the co sleeping until she'll settle in her crib. It does make sense with the bf. Cole likes to be sat on our knee but he has to be upright, he won't lay on us or sleep on us now unless he's absolutely knackered. I'm glad in a way because it means he'll entertain himself while I wash up or make food but in another way I miss it so much. When we first came home from hospital me and Cole would go get in bed at about 8pm and he'd lay on my chest for an hour or two while I watched TV then he'd go in his Moses. And until about three weeks ago if he woke up at 6am he'd come in bed and go back to sleep until 8 on one of us. Not any more! He just fidgets and kicks us, which is worse for Tom as he's got a pretty good aim at his bits!! Haha. Hopefully Rebecca will gradually get used to going in her crib but at least for now you've found a good way to get some sleep :) xx

Well I ended up with rebecca in bed with me all night, I tried to get her to settle for an hour after the 4am feed and decided I'd be going all night so in to bed she came and she slept instantly and without a dummy! I woke up to her sucking my pj top and pecking at me.. I think she was telling me it was time for breakfast lol. I feel happier cosleeping now I've got the bed guard as I can make sure shes away from the duvet and pillows without having to worry about mike moving the covers etc. So all in all ill keep putting her in the crib but if she needs to be close she can be now and we can both sleep. Yes I got a close caboo and I love it...I really love having her near me and it's lovely when she sleeps so soundly next to me. I am sure in a few more weeks she will be much more interested in playing so won't need to be so close so I'm going to enjoy it and as you said I don't think you can do wrong by keeping them close to you. How was little Seth last night? Rebecca slept from 12am to 4 am then 5am to 8am so not bad at all! Xx

Hey hun, sorry I've not replied sooner! Sounds like co sleeping could work well for now but if you keep putting her in the crib then I'm sure she'll take to it eventually. It's lovely to have them close <3

Glad the caboo is working out for you - Seth won't fall asleep in the caboo now as he's too nosy! I'm seriously running out of ways to make him sleep lol ;)

That's some good sleeping there Rebecca! Nice work :D Seth slept from 9 til 3 then 3.30 til 7.30 so very happy indeed. I just hope this good sleeping lasts! xxx

Morning all,
Well rebecca has been much better at sleeping she spends at least some time in her crib but at the moment comes in to bed with me too but I sleep much bet knowing she can't fall out.

Still no obviously deliberate smiles although she is smiling im never sure if it's wind etc. It is a beautiful smile when she does it so can't wait for it to be deliberate.

Rebecca has her 8 week check today and immunisations :( poor baby but I know it's for her own good.

Hope everyone is doing well :) xx

Back