Kim's diary of being a new mum

Well the diet has been a write off the last couple of days! I'll be back on it from Tuesday.

Rebecca was really settled last week but this weekend she's been really unsettled :(

We've had a disastrous visit with mikes parents today (his gran, brother and his brothers girlfriend were there for a family afternoon & meal) well Rebecca pretty much screamed constantly while she was awake and wouldn't sleep for longer than 10 mins before waking and screaming. Shes made me sore from feeding so much (in a vain effort to get her to settle that failed). She would only settle and sleep on me which wasn't great when mikes parents want cuddles and to get to know their first grandchild so i kept trying to give her to them and she just screamed at them :( I ended up crying in the car on the way home I just felt awful that his parents don't see her much and she was so miserable. I feel awful that I actually thought that I 'don't deserve' such an unsettled baby after everything we have been through with her. It's not that I would change her for the world and I love her with all my heart but man oh man I would love to have a content baby sometimes.

Ive really considered switching her to formula to see if that helps with settling but I'm so afraid that if I stop breastfeeding she will get ill and get meningitis again that's really the only thing that keeps me going with breastfeeding. Plus it was getting much easier last week but this weekend we've hit a wall again :( hopefully we will be back to normal soon enough and this is just a blip.

I'm hoping tomorrow I'll wake up to a happier baby as we have friends coming over and we have a table booked at a restaurant.... That could be fun with Screamy-screamerson! :eek:

Last edited:
Oh god, the leaps!! Poor you and poor Rebecca. Cole was 9 weeks old when we went to Wales and he cried every time Tom's family went near him. It was kind of funny but I felt bad for them too as they don't see him often.

I know it's not funny but I laughed at the 'Screamy Screamerson' comment!! I'm sure she'll settle back down for you, although the wait isn't nice :(

Xx

Oh Kim, bless you guys :( Growth spurts are hell, as are leaps! The first time Seth met his gran and grandpa on Colin's side he just cried and wanted to feed, it was horrible :/ People do understand though, you can't make babies be on top form when you want so I'm sure they know that it's just Rebecca having one of those days. I've felt like that with Seth at times too, like I'm working hard to do the best for him so why can't he be happy and settled? I promise you're not alone.

I understand where you're coming from with feeding, I really do. And especially with Rebecca being so poorly when she was first born. After I read up about the benefits of bf I got it into my head that if I stopped something awful would happen and Seth would get ill. It's totally illogical but I can see exactly why you think like that cos I do too, it's all part of the parental guilt. I guess the only advice I have is to never decide to stop bf on a bad day but if you ever decide to stop on a good day then it's likely the right decision for you. Massive hugs hun xxx

Last edited:
Thanks girls! Saturday was definitely very trying and I don't think the fact I've been spotting helped as I think I was a bit hormonal (thought it was going to be a period but is just spotting so maybe breastfeeding is stopping it being a full on totm...sorry tmi!)

We had a marginally better day Sunday our friends came over who have 3 girls and number 4 is on the way so they were very helpful in calming my screamer down while I made cupcakes with the girls who are 7, 5 and 4. I think we worked out she was suffering with wind and it was causing her pain so we've been using infacol at every feed and also gripe water morning and night and yesterday seemed to be much better so fingers crossed it continues.

We took her to the restaurant Sunday and she slept most of the time but woke about half way through our main course so we gave her a bottle of formula which settled her enough to get through the rest of the meal in relative peace!

Monday we spent the day pottering around the house and went to Asda to get a chimnea for the garden and on the way some stupid idiot in a 4x4 drove in to the back of my car at traffic lights. Thank god it was only a bump and no major damage (cracked my number plate and a small dent) but more importantly Rebecca was none the wiser sound asleep in her car seat. The guy did get a bit of a mouthful from me at the fact I had an 11 week old in the car, clearly with a baby on board sign and he should pay more attention etc etc. I kind of felt a bit bad as he obviously got very nervous and started stuttering.... But not that bad as if he'd caused any harm to come to Rebecca I think I would have killed him! To top it all off we didn't get the chimnea as they didn't have the one we wanted in stock.

Shes been much better the last couple of days as well so maybe the weekend was a growth spurt!

My little monkey has been smiling loads (she's still a bit selective at what she will and won't smile at!)

And just because i thought she looked very cute with her tigger toy ♥

I hope you girls and bubbas are all ok :)

Xx

Aww kim she's adorable :)
Thank God it was only a little bump.. Jeez.. That must have been a fright..

We're thinking of getting a Chimnea for the back too.. let me know how you get on with yours if/when you get it...
Someone told J they leave yer clothes stinking after sitting around it so we're debating now whether we want one or not...

So cute :)
That's rubbish about the bump but glad you reduced him to stuttering haha!

Aww kim she's adorable :)
Thank God it was only a little bump.. Jeez.. That must have been a fright..

We're thinking of getting a Chimnea for the back too.. let me know how you get on with yours if/when you get it...
Someone told J they leave yer clothes stinking after sitting around it so we're debating now whether we want one or not...

It was a bit of a fright, 13 years driving and that's the first time someone has gone in to the back of me... sods law I had the baby in the car when it happened!

My sister has got a chimnea and yes you do tend to smell of smoke as the chimney on them isn't that high so the smoke still gets to you but less so than a bonfire etc. We reckon we would use it when having a bbq and you always smell after a bbq so we accept that we will just have to shower when we get in. But yes you do still get the smoke smell! The chimnea we want has a slightly taller chimney bit so hopefully it will direct the smoke up away from us.

So cute :)
That's rubbish about the bump but glad you reduced him to stuttering haha!

Haha I did feel bad but hopefully he will pay more attention in future! :rolleyes:

It was a bit of a fright, 13 years driving and that's the first time someone has gone in to the back of me... sods law I had the baby in the car when it happened!

My sister has got a chimnea and yes you do tend to smell of smoke as the chimney on them isn't that high so the smoke still gets to you but less so than a bonfire etc. We reckon we would use it when having a bbq and you always smell after a bbq so we accept that we will just have to shower when we get in. But yes you do still get the smoke smell! The chimnea we want has a slightly taller chimney bit so hopefully it will direct the smoke up away from us.

Haha I did feel bad but hopefully he will pay more attention in future! :rolleyes:
Chimnea's in Aldi next week hun.. €40 here so whatever that is in sterling.. Worth having a look :)

Chimnea's in Aldi next week hun.. €40 here so whatever that is in sterling.. Worth having a look :)

Ooh will definitely check that out. Although we don't have an Aldi close.... But they are building one about 5 mins away.. cant wait! Xx

God, what a fright with the car! I would have been the same, we had an incident with a bus driver that was going too fast the other week and the pram nearly tipped over; I tore him a new one! It's amazing how protective you get when it's your baby involved, I turn into some kind of mama bear if I feel like anyone might hurt us. It's a pretty amazing feeling but you never want to be in that situation in the first place.

Hope you are all well! xxx

God, what a fright with the car! I would have been the same, we had an incident with a bus driver that was going too fast the other week and the pram nearly tipped over; I tore him a new one! It's amazing how protective you get when it's your baby involved, I turn into some kind of mama bear if I feel like anyone might hurt us. It's a pretty amazing feeling but you never want to be in that situation in the first place.

Hope you are all well! xxx

Oh yes you definitely become a mama bear when your little one is involved!

We are doing fine. Rebecca has started sleeping for 5 or so hours at night still not been successful in getting her to bed before 11.30/12 but the 3.30feed has moved to 5am which is great but it does mean when we go back to bed we don't get up until 9/10am so I need that feed to either go back to 3am or for her to sleep for longer lol. Never satisfied lol.

Rebecca was meant to have her jabs tuesday but they cancelled the clinic so she has them next Tuesday now.

Rebecca Weighed 9lb 13.5ozs on Monday....little fatty!

Diet is horrendous I'm thinking of joining a SW class as doing it at home doesn't really work! So I think I will try to find one that I can go to.

Hope you girls are all fine :) xx

Well my little girl is 13 weeks already!! Where did those weeks go? She had her 12 week jabs today so I have a very unhappy baby tonight :( she was meant to have them last week but then canceled the clinic.

This weekend she went to the beach for the first time.... and slept the entire time haha!

Well I've decided I'm joining a SW class next Tuesday (was going to tonight but I just couldn't leave my monkey with how sad she is). I've put on about 7lbs since having her so 7lbs up on my bfp weight :mad: .... whoever said breastfeeding makes you lose weight was talking poo as it's made me so hungry and craving sugar all the sodding time! I feel really fat and frumpy so definitely got to get my backside in gear. Will make sure I buy plenty of SW friendly foods at the weekend for next week so I'm all set for the week.

Hope you girls are all ok! Xx

Well my little girl is 13 weeks already!! Where did those weeks go? She had her 12 week jabs today so I have a very unhappy baby tonight :( she was meant to have them last week but then canceled the clinic. This weekend she went to the beach for the first time.... and slept the entire time haha! Well I've decided I'm joining a SW class next Tuesday (was going to tonight but I just couldn't leave my monkey with how sad she is). I've put on about 7lbs since having her so 7lbs up on my bfp weight :mad: .... whoever said breastfeeding makes you lose weight was talking poo as it's made me so hungry and craving sugar all the sodding time! I feel really fat and frumpy so definitely got to get my backside in gear. Will make sure I buy plenty of SW friendly foods at the weekend for next week so I'm all set for the week. Hope you girls are all ok! Xx

Wow, 13 weeks already?! Time really is flying. Poor little lady after her jabs. Plenty of Mummy cuddles will make things better :D
Good luck on starting SW next week xx

Are you still taking a pregnancy/ breastfeeding multi vit? As sometimes when your craving chocolate etc your levels of magnesium are low. I know from experience it is hard to get off the tired/ sugar cycle. Dark chocolate has more magnesium in it than milk choc and often you eat less of it :) getting in the healthy foods hopefully will help with your food choices - good luck !

Aww poor little Rebecca having her jabs :(

But it's more cruel not having them... Thinking that is what got me through É's 2 month ones :)

The weeks are flying my God... 13 weeks already!!!

Good luck for SW. Few of us gone back now so loadsa support :) xxx

Well my little girl is 13 weeks already!! Where did those weeks go? She had her 12 week jabs today so I have a very unhappy baby tonight :( she was meant to have them last week but then canceled the clinic. This weekend she went to the beach for the first time.... and slept the entire time haha! Well I've decided I'm joining a SW class next Tuesday (was going to tonight but I just couldn't leave my monkey with how sad she is). I've put on about 7lbs since having her so 7lbs up on my bfp weight :mad: .... whoever said breastfeeding makes you lose weight was talking poo as it's made me so hungry and craving sugar all the sodding time! I feel really fat and frumpy so definitely got to get my backside in gear. Will make sure I buy plenty of SW friendly foods at the weekend for next week so I'm all set for the week. Hope you girls are all ok! Xx

Happy 13 weeks! Time does fly :)

I've not been too regular with my vitamins wonder if that's why my sugar craving is bad just now! X

Are you still taking a pregnancy/ breastfeeding multi vit? As sometimes when your craving chocolate etc your levels of magnesium are low. I know from experience it is hard to get off the tired/ sugar cycle. Dark chocolate has more magnesium in it than milk choc and often you eat less of it :) getting in the healthy foods hopefully will help with your food choices - good luck !

Thanks hun im pretty bad with the pregnacare so maybe that will help as all I want to do is eat sugar and I'm not a fan of dark chocolate so end up eating loads of milk chocolate!

Aww poor little Rebecca having her jabs :(

But it's more cruel not having them... Thinking that is what got me through É's 2 month ones :)

The weeks are flying my God... 13 weeks already!!!

Good luck for SW. Few of us gone back now so loadsa support :) xxx

Thanks I'm definitely in the right place to do it but being home is awful as I can pick so will definitely need support to stop me being a fridge picker lol :)

Happy 13 weeks! Time does fly :)

I've not been too regular with my vitamins wonder if that's why my sugar craving is bad just now! X
Thanks :) ahhh glad it's not just me! Maybe vitamins are the answer....I hope so! Xx

Hi Kim, hope you're well honey? :) How's gorgeous little Rebecca? xx

Hi girls sorry I've been missing for a little while. I've not been in the best of places as Saturday saw the 1 year anniversary of my dad passing away. It hit me pretty hard for a few days before it and of course my mood seemed to unsettle Rebecca which was double whammy. Saturday was also Mikes 30th birthday and we had a bbq party for him which was a ton of work and I spent most the time in the kitchen rather than enjoying the party so probably not our best idea but hopefully everyone who came enjoyed themselves.

Mike and I got in to a row Saturday night once everyone had gone which was awful I hated that we raised our voices at each other in front of Rebecca :( I think we were both emotional and for me having put on a brave face to make sure mike had a good birthday took its toll and we were both tired and I snapped at him when I shouldn't have. We sorted it out though.

Rebecca has had a bad couple of days since Sunday. We put her bad mood on Sunday down to the disruption of her routine on Saturday but she was worse yesterday and screamed the whole day. We both ended up in tears as I just couldn't settle her. I ended up taking her to bed for the afternoon and sleeping with her. She got a bit better once mike got home and she had her evening bottle. This morning I've woken up with a sore throat so I wonder if shes got one to too. She seems a bit better today but still grumpy but she at least hasn't screamed the place down all morning.

apart from that Rebecca now weighs 10lb 4.5ozs and is doing great. We've signed up for baby sensory classes that start 3rd june so looking forward to that.

For mikes birthday I've booked a weekend away at center parcs with 2 other couples and their babies so I'm really looking forward to that. :D Rebecca has her 3rd lot of jabs on 3rd June so need to take her swimming ready for center parcs.

I hope you girls and babies are well xxx

Back