K's Low G.I Diary...where do I begin!

Hi,

So here s the beginning of my Low GI diary..I've been all over the place for the past 2 years after having my 2nd child and feeling generally sluggish.
I was on the Low Gi diet previously and lost a great deal of weight& my energy levels were greatly increased!

Now I've decided to start up again, and also get the family involved. I have PCOS and my husband has been diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic so it's in our interests to do this!!!

My main foods I think I will be eating are
Eggs, basmati rice, chicken/turkey, veggies etc.

My plan for tomorrow is-

Breakfast- Poached egg on granary toast with 1 tomato

Lunch- vegetable soup-homemade

Dinner-pork loin, mushrooms, sweet potato chips, broccoli and tomatoes. OR beef chilli & rice

Snacks- almonds, seeds, low fat cheese on ryvitta.

Now does this sound ok to anyone....think I need a bit of fine tuning!

Thanks Katy

I'm really pleased to hear what you say about your energy levels last time you were using the GI diet. That is one of the effects that made sense to me when I was reading up on the concept over the last few days. I'm hoping that if \i do succed in changing our eating habits that is something that I'll discover

Something that I think will work, is something I've started experimenting with over the last couple of days ...

I cooked to much rice (brown basmati) when we had a chilli, so I saved it and used to make an indonisian style fried rice

mince a small piece of fresh ginger, a garlic clove ans stir fry with a little finely sliced red chilli, about 3 shallots, a generous portion of finely slice mushroom, some julienne carrots, finely sliced celery - and anything else that's lurking in the fridge. Once it's softened stir in rice from the prev day and then stir in a mix of 1 tblsp soy sace, 1 tblsp chilli sauce and a couple of teaspoons brown sugar.

add a touch of protein

thise we have tried
1 a few slices of steamed chicken breast
2 a very thin omlette shredded

i imagine pork loin would work, so would prawns, or maybe tofu?

It's been delicious so far .. but the level of chilli isn't right ... so unfortunately (or not) will have to try again tomorrow to get the ideal balance

Maybe elements of the dish aren't ideal GL eating, but am sure overall it's fine

Oyes ... I forgot ... add a side salad of cucumber strips and shredded spring onions, maybe some peppers or other stufff will go well

Fun to eat and satisfying

Nice tasty recipes Copper. Maybe also post them in the recipe thread in the stickies section. It's a great way of sharing all the tasty treats people discover.

Katy, welcome to low GL . You're proof it works as you've done well before. It will suit all the family too.
Menu looks good. I'd just add more green veg if possible. I try to keep to the plate rule which is half the plate filled with leafy or above the ground veg or salads, quarter of the plate filled with protein, about 75-85 g and a quarter with starchy carbs/veg( e.g. 35g brown rice, 3 small new potato, 35g pasta. Remember if you have beans instead of a white carb you can have about half a tin per person!! Very filling. I use beans a lot now and enjoy them.

I'm a low GI GL restarter too. and agree food it meant to make you feel good, not punishment !

I can't be doing with counting etc, so am seeing how it goes having plenty of veg and more beans, and added protein to snacks. Fruit for puddings.

I cook a big batch of brown basmati and freeze in boxes.

Hi Katy and welcome to the GI/GL section of the forums. Food sounds good. Getting the family involved helps alot, my OH lost weight without trying, just from eating some low GL foods :)

I'm hoping it will help my husband lose a little weight too, merely by sharing the healthy meals I prepare.

My OH has become a lot more aware of what he eats since I started doing low GL. He tries to make healthier choices now, and eats a lot less candies.

Thankyou for the response! Glad I'm doing something right!
I'm going to give the rice ideas a go... That is my weakness, as well as tiger bread from asda...makes me feel rubbish though!

So today I had
B. 2 poached eggs on 2 slices of granary toast with pure soya butter & mushrooms.

Lunch- VGA soup-2 bowls...bored!

Snack- seeds!

I'm back at work tomorrow 6-2am! Dread to think what I'll crave!
I also need to cook something beforehand for the whole family & something I can take to work...I have NO ideas at the moment!

Welcome Katy. :) have a peek in the recipe thread, some good one-pots there that could be made ahead of time. One of my faves is the chicken and white bean stew from bbc good food (link in there somewhere). :)

Are you using a mobile app or the website? It's in the Sticky threads. On the website these appear before all the other threads; in the apps they're listed on another tab. (can't link as I'm using my phone)

Welcome Katy. I am somewhat of a low GL beginner. I find rice and pasta my main downfall - I am not a great bread lover, and tend to prefer seeded breads.

I'm a rice addict, being half Japanese rice is a main staple in my life. I've learned to cook it differently now, as I found living without rice impossible. I usually make a rice mixture, mixing it with wholegrain barley, oat, buckwheat, and sesame seeds. It lowers the overall GL level of the rice mixture, and I've noticed that I eat much less of it and it's very filling. Did I mention that the rice mixture contains a lot of fiber:) The highest ratio of my rice is 50% rice and 50% the grains I mentioned, and other times it'll be 30% rice and 70% grains I mentioned.

I hope this will help with your rice cravings.

Oh fantastic will give this a go over he weekend!
I've been a little poorly the past few days so I've either not been eating or eating haribo sweets to pick myself up!!!

Back