Lamb & Apricot Casserole

Leapfrog

Champion actifryer
Made this last night and it's scrummy. It's from a very old Slimming World magazine, but I don't think the syns have changed.
It's listed as:
Original 3 sins (that's how old the mag is lol)
Green 9 (add 6 syns if not using lamb as a hexb)
Of course Extra Easy didn't exist then!

As far as I can make out, the only thing to syn on red and EE are the apricots @ 2.5 syns per 28g, so I calculate the recipe to still be the same syns.

Or you could use part of a hexb serving of apricots.

Just beware it takes 2 hours to cook on the hob - could be adapted for a slow cooker though, I suppose.

Ingredients:
1 onion
2 yellow peppers (though I used 1 red and 1 green and it was fine)
2 garlic cloves
1lb 8oz (681g) lamb
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
400g tin tomatoes
2 Tablespoons sweetener
1 pint (568ml) chicken stock
5oz (142g) dried apricots
Salt & freshly ground pepper
Fresh coriander

Method:
Roughly chop the onion and pepper. Chop the garlic and cut the lamb into strips. Place in a large pan with the ginger, cinnamon, tomaties, sweetener & stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour and a half.

Add the apricots, season and simmer for a further 20 minutes.

Serve garnished with chopped coriander

How funny you should post this this morning, i bought some fresh apricots to do a lamb dish :) though i would get fresh then i wont have to syn them. Thanks x

How funny you should post this this morning, i bought some fresh apricots to do a lamb dish :) though i would get fresh then i wont have to syn them. Thanks x

Sorry to say but if you cook the apricots you have to syn them or use them as a heallthy B :( the book says this:

Cooked, canned & dried fruit count as healthy extras's or as syns: pureed fruit, fruit juice, nectars and smoothies always count as syns.

You can have 454g fresh apricots stewed as a HeB or 142g dried apricots, stewed,

Thanks silvermaneuk. Both I and jo1 don't believe in synning cooked fruit - I know SW say you should and I agree that's ok for stewed apples etc. where you'd eat loads in one go, whereas uncooked you'd struggle to eat the same quantity. But I often add fruit, such as a mango, to a curry and don't count it as syns. Hasn't done me any harm! Everything in moderation I say!

Back