Lamb Shank recipe (good for slow cooker)

StaceyUK

Gold Member
Made this last night and it was lovely!!! Threw it all in my slow cooker and by the time I got home from work the lamb fell off the bone. The lemon zest really added a nice lift to the dish! I served it with green beans and butternut squash mash.

heading-lamb-shanks.jpg
subtitle_information.gif
The lamb becomes so meltingly tender after cooking that it falls off the bone: it’s worth every minute of the preparation time.
Serves: 4
Syns per serving: Free on Original
Ready in about: 3 hours

subtitle_ingredients.gif

1 onion
2 carrots
4 garlic cloves
2 celery sticks
4 lamb shanks
Fry Light
400g can chopped tomatoes
198ml/7fl oz chicken stock made with Bovril
1 tsp artificial sweetener
1 bay leaf
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Finely chopped parsley
Finely grated lemon zest

subtitle_method.gif
1. Prepare the ingredients: peel and finely chop the onion, carrots and garlic and trim and chop the celery. Remove all visible fat from the lamb.
2. Spray a heavy pan with Fry Light and place over a high heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside. Turn the heat to medium and cook the onion, carrots, garlic and celery for 10 minutes before adding the tomatoes, stock, sweetener and bay leaf. Season well.
3. Return the shanks to the pan, cover tightly and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 2 ½ hours, stirring occasionally until the meat is meltingly tender. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving garnished with parsley and finely grated lemon zest.

This looks lovely. I'm starting work at the after school club next month, so need lots of slow cooker ideas as I wont get home till 6.30 and the kids will be with me till then too.

Hi StaceyUK, Im making this today in my nice new slow cooker. I'll let you know how it goes, thank you for the recipe xx

Stacey, how long did you cook it in the slow cooker for? And was it on low, med or high?

Back