Laura's Atkins Diary 2013

Hope the muscles aren't too bad this morning?!

Re the protein days, try induction as written in the book for a couple of weeks and see how you get on, then maybe give it a go? You might find Atkins works perfectly well for you as is.

I agree - it's worth doing atkins as per the book to start with as then have a base line before you start tweeking!

Yeah, as soon as I started reading in to it, I saw about excess protein turning in to fat and I was like, nope! I know that intermittent fasting works well for many though, so I'm going to try that. It's when you "fast" for 19 hours of the day, and then eat only within a 5 hour window. I'm naturally an evening eater, so I think this will work well for me, when combined with low carb/Atkins.

I was very, very bad today! I had a job interview to go to (which I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed for) and I needed to get some change for the bus, so I bought a bottle of water and a Reese's Nutrageous bar. Naughty! It was 28g carbs and 6g protein and all I'd eaten before that was about an ounce of feta just before I left for the interview. About an hour later I was starving, but I've just had some fried eggs, ham and smoked cheese for dinner with a glass of Tesco's sugar free version of Dr Pepper. Not the healthiest choice, but I really couldn't be bothered to cook anything when I got in, so I stopped off at Tesco and picked up the ham, cheese & fake Dr Pepper on my way back to avoid the temptation of putting a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner. I haven't bothered to count the carbs in anything but the Nutrageous bar, but I don't think I've gone past 35g, which is still more than I'd like, but it's better than it could have been if I'd gone the lazy route and come straight home and eaten a frozen pizza.

Edited: Actually, I had a couple of dollops of ketchup with my eggs so I'm probably around 40g for the day. Gah! Stupid hidden carbs! Lol. But again, 40g of carbs is better than what it could have been, and tomorrow I'll hop straight back on to Atkins.

Excercise wise, last night I did squats, deadlifts & calf raises, and managed to deadlift 105lbs 3 times. I'm sure I could have done it a few more times, but I'd already done 3 sets with a lighter weight so I was a little bit worn out, lol. Tonight will be bicep curls, overhead presses and lateral raises. Walking to and from the interview took care of the cardio.

Thank you, but I got a call this afternoon to say I didn't get it. I'm a little bummed, but he did say that I was second in the running, and if it falls through with the woman who got the job or something else comes up within the company, he'll give me a call. He also said the other person who conducted the interview along side him liked me so much that she didn't want to be the one to call me and give me the bad news, lol.

I think I'm going to make roast chicken thighs with steamed veggies for dinner tonight. I haven't eaten lunch and I'm really not hungry but I'll make enough chicken to snack on if the urge hits.

Has anyone tried the Dukan diet? I'm particularly interested in the oat bran. It's about 20g carbs for a 40g serving, which seems like a lot now that I've been counting carbs, but it's healthy and nutritious and filling, so I'm tempted to start making it for breakfast with some protein powder mixed in for flavour.

Awww that's a shame about the job but at least the feedback was very positive.

i tried Dukan a while ago but I found it very boring as there is lots of stuff we can eat on Atkins which is banned on Dukan, also I found it really hard to plan my life around the pp and pv days. I find Atkins much easier as I know exactly what I can eat.

i only lasted about three weeks and lost about 4 pounds before I gave up and went back to Atkins x

Hi Laura, sorry about the job but hope other opportunities come your way soon

I did a lot of research before starting atkins - and even then was skeptical and never believed it would really work (take a look at the beginning of my diary lol) i was not impressed by the scientific evidence behind Dukan but it works for some people and they rave about it. as with all the things - the best diet is the one that you can stick to and makes you feel good!

Back