Lent is approaching - who's giving something up?

havnt we given up enough already

If you don't have any suns on a Thursday and during the day on friday you can comfortably have a bottle on a Friday night within your normal syns - so I suppose not to bad - bug I'd rather use my syns for something else usually ...

I pledge not to have one take away during the whole of lent.

I should try going without chocolate too, i really do feel out of control with my addiciton to it :(

Hmmm. I was thinking about that.

I usually do give something up, but what can I actually give up now that would be worth it? My alcohol and chocolate consumption is now so low with SW that giving them up doesn't seem like a big deal. Ditto bread, biscuits, cake...

I did wonder about not actually giving something up, but making a positive commitment - such as to be 100% on plan for the whole of Lent.

But - GULP!!! - is that doable???

I really like that idea JimofTroy!

I usually do give something up, but what can I actually give up now that would be worth it? My alcohol and chocolate consumption is now so low with SW that giving them up doesn't seem like a big deal. Ditto bread, biscuits, cake...

I did wonder about not actually giving something up, but making a positive commitment - such as to be 100% on plan for the whole of Lent.

That is a really good idea! What dates are we talking though...? I'm blissfully ignorant when it comes to stuff like this :p

It starts on Wednesday. (9th March)
Finishes on Easter Sunday. (24th April I think)

A month and a half.

It's a big commmitment, but that's kind of what we made to start this, isn't it?

(I'm not committing to doing it yet, mind you, just thinking about it! Just in case this gets all out of hand!)

Maybe tie it in with the SW slimathon -if anyone is doing it? I'm aiming to lose 28lbs in the next 12 weeks on it ( forgot that pancake day and Easter were smack bang in the middle of it though!)

I'm too close to target to go for any aim of great losses. Otherwise I'd have maybe done that.

But I still need to stick closely to the plan. Hence the idea of a 100% 6 weeks, rather than aiming for a specific number of pounds.

i know its free but i am giving up diet coke drink 2 much of it thought of either that or facebook , but think i could live without diet coke for 6 weeks

I dont "do" Lent, because I dont "do" religion in any form. But I am a little worried about the people who think that they have already "given up enough". Why have you given those things up entirely? Unless its "the fat in food" or "ever eating anything with syns in" then surely those things can still be enjoyed on plan and in moderation?

Isnt that partly the point of SW, that you dont have to give up the things you love altogether?

We had this discussion last year (yup, STILL here!!) - the thoughts behind 'given up enough' were that although you can still have most things using syns, for those of us who had come from a REALLY bad diet the change was already quite dramatic.. From having takeaways quite frequently, to only having them occasionally - so we couldn't really 'give up' fast food... From having a drink a couple of times a week, to hardly drinking alcohol at all (after all, there's chocolate to be eaten!!) - so we couldn't really give up alcohol... From having chocolate in copious quantities, to only having 15 syns worth...

For most of us, although we hadn't 'given up' everything, the things that we would have given up for lent, were the things that were keeping us sticking to the plan.

What we found was the people who had been doing SW for ages and were used to the plan (and strong willed!!) did give things up..

The people who were fairly new (and to who SW was already a shock to the system!!) decided to 'do something' ie. more water, more exercise, more 'new' recipes, more planning etc.

Meanwhile, the people who were about 6+ months in decided on being '100% for Lent' (Thanks for the idea CharlotteGrace!!). We were the people who were mainly on plan (but a few tweaks had crept in... like 'I don't measure my milk any more because I KNOW that 8 cups of tea doesn't use 350ml milk!!'). So for the whole of Lent, we weighed and measured every HEX, found out syns BEFORE eating something (and not guestimating), kept food diaries etc, and mainly being SW ANGELS!! :D Those who use WI as 'treat night' gave those up too...

This year (since I'm 1 year, 184 days into my SW life) as well as being '100% for Lent' I'm giving up something... not all chocolate, but Cadbury's Creme Eggs and Barratts Sherbet Fountains (both of which are mentioned quite frequently in my food diary!!). I think that all chocolate might be a step too far!!!

No matter which way you cut it - you have to give-up something to stick to SW completely. For some - it's giving up excess! ( do I really need 2 chocolate bars and a can of coke?) some others like me can't do portion control on treats just yet so I choose between having as much booze ad I want and having as much chocolate as I want! Hence giving up wine most of of the time! I know that SW say that the syns are there to allow you to have a bit of what you fancy bit frankly if I could stop at 'a bit' of what I fancy I wouldn't be 6.5 stone overweight!

So for lent I will be sticking to plan 100% and not making this journey to thinness any harder than it has to be :)

I thought I'd up my exercise but as I don't even have a car and walk everywhere anyway... Oh my, can't believe my life is this boring that I'm actually struggling to find something to give up ;) Thanks, Tweetyuk, give up fizzy drinks is a good idea. Since starting SW I drank more and more diet coke (as I stopped drinking my beloved cappuccino) and I think it'll "hurt" to stop this and get back to my 100% water. Which is healthier anyway. Hm, guess I have found my lent-give-up. :D

This is a GREAT idea.

I am going to do my best to be on plan 100% of the time (and stop obsessing about my ex boyfriend-who I didn't kiss yesterday, well I did, lots. Whoops. He is so dreamy though. :( Right, Gems-no more-that's it! If he wants you back he is going to have to commit.)

Best of luck guys! ;)

Back