Les Mills appreciation thread

just started back at pump again. 1st week it took 4 days to stop hurting, this last week, no real ache just my thighs from the squat tracks (15kg :( used to squat 20kg)

squats are so painful :( no matter what weight ive used on that its always been the same. its really gross but there was even drops of sweat from my elbows on the floor from it yesterday and it was a lighter weight than normal

pump seems to be getting very popular all of a sudden in the gym i go to, saturday there too many people and 2 had to be told to leave, the instructor didnt have a bar and everyone was sharing weights. on sunday it was just as busy and again there wasnt enough plates to go round. not everyone could do their regular weights, myself included

the new one is really tough though, heard some in the class say its easy ect... the answer to that is on the weights rack :/

I miss pump! Can't wait to go tomorrow - haven't been for more than a week though, so it's gonna hurt.

But I've just been so busy! Just started my placement in the secure Unit, and they apparently have a gym there that I can use, so I need to look into that :)

ooh yeah that will hurt! ive missed a week of it and gone back its its been really really hard, felt like the first time!

i must remember to buy my own body pump clips tommorow, the ones in the gym are ok if you can get the decent ones, but theres not many. the rest are rubbish, over a certain weight they just slide off the bar! only the plastic ones do that though, but the metal springey ones are too stiff to open properly.

squats are so painful :( no matter what weight ive used on that its always been the same. its really gross but there was even drops of sweat from my elbows on the floor from it yesterday and it was a lighter weight than normal

I love it when you're working and sweat drops from your elbows and runs down your back, all from just weights :)

the new one is really tough though, heard some in the class say its easy ect... the answer to that is on the weights rack :/

You are right, if it's easy then look at your weights and up them. you should find it quite hard at the end wher eyou feel you can no longer go on.

ooh yeah that will hurt! ive missed a week of it and gone back its its been really really hard, felt like the first time!

i must remember to buy my own body pump clips tommorow, the ones in the gym are ok if you can get the decent ones, but theres not many. the rest are rubbish, over a certain weight they just slide off the bar! only the plastic ones do that though, but the metal springey ones are too stiff to open properly.

sounds like your gym needs some new equipment!

I love it when you're working and sweat drops from your elbows and runs down your back, all from just weights :)

You are right, if it's easy then look at your weights and up them. you should find it quite hard at the end wher eyou feel you can no longer go on.

sounds like your gym needs some new equipment!

im glad someone else likes that feeling! thats why i have to wear gloves for pump now, my hands will get all sweaty and i cant grip the bar proper otherwise :p

i agree, the last set for me is so hard, literally grit your teeth and try to push on. at first it dosent feel that much, but that last set is so painful.
the ones that were saying its feeling easy were the ones sticking to the exact same weight most of the way through, one that said it was on biceps and using 1kg on each side -_- no wonder.... everytime i find a weight getting that bit easier i always up it, its common sense!!

they do need more clips, they have 25 1/2 pairs (why 1/2?!) and 36 people can book in. they need better quality clips and more of them :/ im still buying my own set.
they need a few more plates too, more 5kg and 10kg. the 10kg are hardly used and i had to use those on sunday, had to borrow someones 5's, a bit hectic!

I am loving the new releases so much. I have upped my pump weights, now have 4.5kg each side for biceps but I am literally struggling to keep going, yesterday I stopped for two beats which frustrated me but I was just dying lol

ouch, thats only 1kg less than me and i know that pain! it takes alot to get me cursing in a class, but i cant control mysef in the new one! i do try and not miss one, it kills my arms. im always whimpering hugging my poor sore arms when its finally done.
its those bottom halves that do it.... they get the proper ouchies!

ooh i have all that to look forward to tommorow, lovely! ^_^

did the new attack with the regular instructor today, the one others desciribe as mental and workmate asked me if shes on speed (LOL) and omg, by track 3 i couldnt even speak, and then came track 4..... oh dear. pain beyond pain.
the first class on saturday wasnt that hard, different instructor but it was easy in comparrison. claires attack is a body killer. i got a double attack and combat with her tommorow, double body kill.

so tommorow is
morning: pump
afternoon: attack and combat.

i will feel the ouchies

just seen this post on one of the pump instructors wall:

Well I did 40kg for Squats, 20kg Chest, 22.5kg for Back, 20kg Tricep with a 15kg plate for overhead work, 15kg Bicep, just bodyweight Lunge and 5kg plates and 15kg bar for shoulders. Plus BA74 beforehand!x

bloody hell..... :O i am impressed by that

Omg I couldn't imagine lifting those weights. I mean I've only been doing pump for six weeks but still that's crazy weights.

I did pump and step today, got gym and pump tomorrow then my killer Thursday of step, balance and attack back to back .

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

ooh now i havent got the co ordination for step. i tried it and tripped over it about 5 times during the warm up!!

very crazy weights, i know my legs can take more than what i do on squats, i cant lift anything heavier than 24 kg over my head. i have weak upper body :( i have used the multigym and done squats, loaded the bar up and the highest was 40kg i could do, i cant physically lift that though

its a girl that posted that too, ive not even seen any guys do that weight

Step is still my favourite class but that's partly down to the fact its my favourite instructor. The co ordination comes quickly as you get used to it, just like attack and combat.

I am enjoying all the new releases. Upped my variation of classes and now do 1 combat, 2 balance, 4 pump, 2 attack and 4 step each week. I also do weights in the gym s bit now as well.

Gina I was hoping you could help Me with advice on weights

I currently have per side of my pump bar ...
Warm up 3.5
Squats 7.5
Chest 5
Back 5
Tricep 4.5
Biceps 4.5
Lunges 6

As I have been doing pump for 5 weeks how often would you recommend upping weights. And what should I aim to lift in the future ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

theres no set time to up them, when you feel like you can go higher, when you can do the weight with no struggle, not needing to put in the effort as before thats when i up them. just so long as technique is still good with a higher weight!

only one i wouldnt up though is the warm up. keep that one low, i keep mine low and pile the weight on for the rest :)

no specific aim to go for for, just keep going at your own pace. i only have an aim for squats (i want to do 30kg on that one eventually- 6kg away from it now.... slowly but surely) took a year to get get to that though. tried doing 22kg when i first started pump and couldnt even lift the bar up and over my head! ill get my goal eventually, im not rushing it ill just up gradually :)

ooh attack, combat and pump today! my legs were worked to the max i think thursday, got the jely legs during lunges and the burning was that bad i had to stop for a second. i am going to try that one with a little lower than squat weight today 20kg... 15kg made me get the jelly legs, 20 will just be painful. eeek.... my weights shot up from this too, gone from 117 to 126lbs!

Last edited:
im glad someone else likes that feeling! thats why i have to wear gloves for pump now, my hands will get all sweaty and i cant grip the bar proper otherwise :p

i wear gloves as i get really bad hard skin on my palms of my hands.

I currently have per side of my pump bar ...
Warm up 3.5
Squats 7.5
Chest 5
Back 5
Tricep 4.5
Biceps 4.5
Lunges 6

similar to me, each side.

warm up 3.5kg
squats 7.5kg (used to be more)
chest 3.5kg (used to be more)
Back 7.5kg
tricep 3.5kg
Bicep 5kg
lunges - can't do these with a bar, i'm so wobbly without it anyway
shoulders 3.5kg or a 5kg plate

i wear gloves as i get really bad hard skin on my palms of my hands.

ouch.... i have gone without them once but never again, my grip wasnt that good :/

well done it, put my bar to 20kg on lunges. felt like my legs were on fire... ouch. i love pump :D eeee! ive got better results from that than any cardio ive done, and it cures a hangover pretty good! found out why arms shake during triceps too, and im happy its normal!

Last edited:
similar to me, each side.

warm up 3.5kg
squats 7.5kg (used to be more)
chest 3.5kg (used to be more)
Back 7.5kg
tricep 3.5kg
Bicep 5kg
lunges - can't do these with a bar, i'm so wobbly without it anyway
shoulders 3.5kg or a 5kg plate

my back weight is the same, the clean and presses are fine, i struggle doing the rows. it hurts my arms alot but any lighter weight i find too easy on the clean and presses :S

currently (each side)
squats: 11/12kg
chest: 6kg
back: 7.5kg
triceps: 5kg with 5kg plate
biceps: 5kg
lunges: 10kg
shoulders: 5kg bar, 2 x 5kg dumbells

the hardest ones physically for me is chest, biceps and lunges. the rest are all fine
its taken me a year to get to those weights, pleased i stuck to it now. i dont do ladylike noises doing those, embarassed to say i do some grunting noises, pull the wierdest faces but it gets me through :p

Last edited:
ooh its not scary :) its makes you feel so good afterwards, i love the feeling ^_^ id do pump everyday if my muscles could cope LOL

Back