Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Jack Monroe has a regular recipe slot in the Guardian :) ... if you go to their website and search under her name in the 'life and style ' section, they will come up.

Today's was a very nice risotto, which could easily be made sw friendly (in fact I make something very similar but with more superfree and tinned killers - it's pure comfort food :D. )

Tinned killers? Yikes.

Just subbing as you made me roar laughing on a thread earlier today, and then I remembered that you had berated someone for being a Daily Mail reader and my heart was lost.
Ha yes, I have to admit to being a little bit "short shrifty" in certain circumstances. Please, join me in my broad minded acceptance (or otherwise) of the shortcomings of others.

Tinned killers? Yikes.
Surely tinned is the best place for them or is this a simply allegory for prison? In the social recipe of life?

Surely tinned is the best place for them or is this a simply allegory for prison? In the social recipe of life?

I guess that's what they mean when they say someone's been put in the can....

LOL!!! I really must take more care proofreading when using my kindle to post ;) Tinned kippers are tastier :D

and marginally less dangerous.... ;-))

Saturday 29th March

Mothers day and Springing Forward

Mothers Day tomorrow. I bought my own present to make sure nothing chocolately made an appearance although husband knows better than that by now. Madam is just coming up four so can't be trusted to produce her own presents. Yet. Although I did get a cute little organza bag from nursery with a hanging decoration inside to have tomorrow too. Clocks go forward tonight too so we lose an hours sleep. Boo! However it does mean that little one will be waking up closer to seven than six for the first time in I can't tell you how long. Although that will only last until her body clock readjusts and it's back to early doors. All those worms she must be catching better come in useful somewhere along the line...!!

So glad you reminded me clocks go forward hun ive got a hospital appt at 8am eekkk id have slept in
8am? On. A. SUNDAY?! Your health authority is diligent :D. Glad to have assisted!

on the downside I broke lent today as little one, on top of my new shoes that I engineered as my present, gave me a ferrero Raffaelo sweet. Just the one. And insisted I ate it in front of her. In bed. What could I say? So I ate it. Then synned it....3 syns. Nice though.

Apparently catholics don't count the Sundays in lent anyway so Ill let myself off this once.

on the downside I broke lent today as little one, on top of my new shoes that I engineered as my present, gave me a ferrero Raffaelo sweet. Just the one. And insisted I ate it in front of her. In bed. What could I say? So I ate it. Then synned it....3 syns. Nice though.

Apparently catholics don't count the Sundays in lent anyway so Ill let myself off this once.

Dont they? Part-timers! Where's the guilt in that then? I wouldn't consider raffaelo as chocolate, as it's white & wafery... I think I've broken lent three times so far - all for tiny handmade chocs, when it would have been rude to refuse, (or I forgot until it was too late).... I haven't worked out my penance yet.

Last edited:
8am? On. A. SUNDAY?! Your health authority is diligent :D. Glad to have assisted!

Well ..... id say the NHS here aren't that diligent lol the consultant I'm under works in the local private hospital too and ordered my scan there hence the efficient service. Now the downside I have to wait for my results on the NHS which may take up to 6 weeks if the last time is anything to go by, even though the guy told me this morning that "unofficially" they will be ready in 10 days grrrr

Dont they? Part-timers! Where's the guilt in that then? I wouldn't consider raffaelo as chocolate, as it's white & wafery... I think I've broken lent three times so far - all for tiny handmade chocs, when it would have been rude to refuse, (or I forgot until it was too late).... I haven't worked out my penance yet.

Too true. Shame I quit sugar full stop haha, plenty of sugar in one of them. Oh well. Yes lent is, in its entirety 46 days and the 6 Sundays don't count, hence 40 days of lent. And its Sunday. Whoop!

Well ..... id say the NHS here aren't that diligent lol the consultant I'm under works in the local private hospital too and ordered my scan there hence the efficient service. Now the downside I have to wait for my results on the NHS which may take up to 6 weeks if the last time is anything to go by, even though the guy told me this morning that "unofficially" they will be ready in 10 days grrrr

thats crazy, they have them in ten and you wait for 6 weeks?!

Yep the guy said today " I think you were fobbed off there love" - I wont be this time ill pester them lol

And they wonder why our NHS is struggling with its public image!

ok I took a sneaky peek at the scales this morning, WI not until wed admittedly but I am dangerously close to having a melt down as I potentially tip over into the 12s!! Shhh now I've said it that will be it. You watch.

Monday 31st March

The Secret

Has anyone else read this or watched the film? I haven't read the book...yet, but have watched the film. To put it in a nutshell it's about positive thoughts and visualisation and about how if we live our lives as if what we want has already come to be, so it shall be. I think all the stuff about the universe providing aside it's not a bad idea to see ourselves as we want to be and therefore give ourselves more of a fighting chance and opening ourselves up to the possibility. Maybe Ill buy that size 12 swimming costume after all.....

Monday 31st March

The Secret

Has anyone else read this or watched the film? I haven't read the book...yet, but have watched the film. To put it in a nutshell it's about positive thoughts and visualisation and about how if we live our lives as if what we want has already come to be, so it shall be. I think all the stuff about the universe providing aside it's not a bad idea to see ourselves as we want to be and therefore give ourselves more of a fighting chance and opening ourselves up to the possibility. Maybe Ill buy that size 12 swimming costume after all.....

I agree with that positivity is very important and we pave our path by our thoughts. I read alot of Robin Sharma's books. They are fantastic as written in a way that I can relate to and make me think how to implement the ideas in my own life. If you get a chance read them - I would start with "The monk who soldhis ferrarie".

Thanks I might look that up!! My next kindle download I think :)

Tuesday 1st April

Dinner Plates

Apparently, over the years the size of our dinner plates have crept up 25%. Our urge to fill them and to then lick them clean surely contributes to our need to lose weight. Bearing in mind there is no weighing or counting in SW it occurred to me that it may still be possible to eat too much. I've dusted off my old diet plate and am working with that at the moment. If you haven't heard of them they are an overpriced plate hand painted with sections denoting a supposedly healthy diet. It works for me because roughly 1/3 of the plate is sectioned so that's become my superfree section. In addition I'm scouting for some trendy vintage plates of around 9" to see if it makes any difference. I was just wondering if, when the time comes and the plateau hits this might help me learn better portion control. I currently eat BIG dinners and am still losing but that can't last forever surely?

Tuesday 1st April

Dinner Plates

Apparently, over the years the size of our dinner plates have crept up 25%. Our urge to fill them and to then lick them clean surely contributes to our need to lose weight. Bearing in mind there is no weighing or counting in SW it occurred to me that it may still be possible to eat too much. I've dusted off my old diet plate and am working with that at the moment. If you haven't heard of them they are an overpriced plate hand painted with sections denoting a supposedly healthy diet. It works for me because roughly 1/3 of the plate is sectioned so that's become my superfree section. In addition I'm scouting for some trendy vintage plates of around 9" to see if it makes any difference. I was just wondering if, when the time comes and the plateau hits this might help me learn better portion control. I currently eat BIG dinners and am still losing but that can't last forever surely?

I want some new 'china' but you wouldn't believe the number of dinner sets I've discounted because the plates are too big! I notice that a lot of them don't have rims these days so making the area to be filled even larger. I find pasta plates are pretty good at making a (relative) little look like a lot.

Back