Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Blimey I never realised quite so much hopping went on! It's like the mentality of changing your shampoo because your hair "gets used to it". Like its sentient and has feelings. My hair seems permanently peed off these days.

The main forum is pretty samey, same immediately after Christmas wasn't it. As much as I like to help there are only so many ways of writing:
1- yes you get wind/bloating. Its fibre. Google it.
2- yes you can count your syns weekly IF it works for you great but we all know you are asking because you had a blow out and have 5 days to make it up.
3- Post a food diary so we can help. No, WRITE IT OUT don't give me a link to MFP.
4- 1/3 superfree at EVERY possible meal. No it's not compulsory, yes its good for you. Margaret doesn't send a hit squad round if you don't manage it. No baked beans don't count, ditto peas, ditto sweet corn. Uh oh Gail platts having a nightmare. I mean what superfree goes with FFs?
5- yes portion control matters. Don't weigh or measure but don't eat yourself sick. The edge of the plate exists beyond the phenomenon of surface tension for a reason.

The SW gospel according to me. Make it a sticky mods I dares ya! ;)

This made me laugh so much. especially number 5 :-D

I love how people actually say 'SW doesn't work for me because I eat too much'' ... I mean, well, LOL!! Like there's some kind of SW elves popping into people's bedrooms at night and force feeding them, foi gras stylee ;)

Well done you that's immense!! I hope to get involved in all that kind of group shenanigans. Should I take fruit tomorrow? Do we take fruit?

Oh yes and we'll done me too! I am proud of myself and was just trying to be nice as I had seen your name a few times previously.
Shame none of the sarcasm on here played a part in my weight loss I would of more than likely raided the fridge should I of had to take any more of the endless "helpful" comments on here... Shame really isn't it, my idea of a forum was ideas and help from others going through the same situations.

Goodnight and god bless x

Oh yes and we'll done me too! I am proud of myself and was just trying to be nice as I had seen your name a few times previously.
Shame none of the sarcasm on here played a part in my weight loss I would of more than likely raided the fridge should I of had to take any more of the endless "helpful" comments on here... Shame really isn't it, my idea of a forum was ideas and help from others going through the same situations.

Goodnight and god bless x
I have pm'd you to apologise but this wasn't directed at you at all. The fruit question was serious, you won slimmer of the week and I was under the impression you win a basket of fruit that everyone has contributed to but may be wrong? And my well done was heartfelt!

Hi LTL normally you do take something for sow say fruit. Good luck

Thanks guys that really useful to know. Wouldn't want to turn up empty handed! Particularly as I plan on taking it home the following week! ;)

If you buy a 12-week Countdown and not only do you get 12 weeks for the price of 10, but you also get a free copy of the brand new Little Book of Light Bites. The offer runs from 25th May to 14th June, after which the book will be available for all members to buy for £3.95.

So that's £49.50 for 3 months? Not to be sniffed at when I've been paying £20 a month for online access! Reckon I could stretch to that :) the free book will be a bonus.

Yes, we have a fruit basket too which goes to Slimmer of the Week ... though people often pop in things like Mug Shots and tins of beans as well as fruit and salad stuff :) I always take a small something for the basket (and more fruit for the little man, who is a real fruit bat and can get quite distressed when what he sees as 'his' oranges/apples/grapes go into the basket lol).

Yes, we have a fruit basket too which goes to Slimmer of the Week ... though people often pop in things like Mug Shots and tins of beans as well as fruit and salad stuff :) I always take a small something for the basket (and more fruit for the little man, who is a real fruit bat and can get quite distressed when what he sees as 'his' oranges/apples/grapes go into the basket lol).
Haha yes I could imagine flos face if I handed over HER strawberries. I'll have a think about what to take. Maybe I'll start small with fruit and get inventive after that!

And to add to the gospel:

6: yes, TOTM can give some people a gain/STS
7: when you start exercising you may have a gain/STS because your muscles retain water (but muscle does not weigh heavier than fat - a pound is a pound is a pound)

(The above would undoubtedly be better in Sam-speak, but I don't have the same gift with words).

I like those :) I'm sure we could write a book by now!! Just cooking my pre-joining WI dinner haha

I hope you enjoy yourself at group tonight!

Thanks. I'm weirdly excited. I know I don't NEED it as at home has really suited me but I want to see if it gives me added incentive! I'll let you all know how it goes! X

I enjoyed the meeting. The consultant was very nice. The group is well established so it may take some time to get to know everyone's stories but that's ok. The SOW week had left so the "basket" went to second prize in the raffle which was won by yours truly. I'd be more excited but it was 3 apricots, an apple and a grapefruit haha. I hate grapefruit! She did say in passing that people needed to remember their fruit but there wasn't much emphasis on it. I thought about making one of my WWASPE bracelets and slipping that in with a bit of explanation next week. The main raffle prize was all the ingredients to make the chickpea curry from the mag....I wanted THAT!! Haha. Oh well. Maybe next week. I was 5lb heavier at the meeting than that morning so I have adjusted my stats on here too. To be fair I are a normal dinner, wore jeans and a belt etc etc. I set my target at 11 and a half stone which was my original target but will, in reality be a little lower simply because I had aimed to hit that at home and it would show sooner there. In reality that's closer to 11st. Fine by me!

I need to email SW and see if my current stats can be linked to my new membership number now I have one. I got all new books and a card etc so will ditch the old ones. She recognised my previous achievements and indicated I could have certificates for the full amount lost. Yay :)

Blimey I never realised quite so much hopping went on! It's like the mentality of changing your shampoo because your hair "gets used to it". Like its sentient and has feelings. My hair seems permanently peed off these days.

The main forum is pretty samey, same immediately after Christmas wasn't it. As much as I like to help there are only so many ways of writing:
1- yes you get wind/bloating. Its fibre. Google it.
2- yes you can count your syns weekly IF it works for you great but we all know you are asking because you had a blow out and have 5 days to make it up.
3- Post a food diary so we can help. No, WRITE IT OUT don't give me a link to MFP.
4- 1/3 superfree at EVERY possible meal. No it's not compulsory, yes its good for you. Margaret doesn't send a hit squad round if you don't manage it. No baked beans don't count, ditto peas, ditto sweet corn. Uh oh Gail platts having a nightmare. I mean what superfree goes with FFs?
5- yes portion control matters. Don't weigh or measure but don't eat yourself sick. The edge of the plate exists beyond the phenomenon of surface tension for a reason.

The SW gospel according to me. Make it a sticky mods I dares ya! ;)

Oh Sam, this nearly killed me! I will count reading this as BodyMagic (one of my pet hate expressions. It's exercise!) because I got a great workout from laughing myself to tears and beating the desk with my fist.

I love how people actually say 'SW doesn't work for me because I eat too much'' ... I mean, well, LOL!! Like there's some kind of SW elves popping into people's bedrooms at night and force feeding them, foi gras stylee ;)

Yes, this one is a phenomenon. I do worry about portions sometimes but I need to refer to Point 5 in the SW gospel according to Sam re the natural boundary of the edge of the plate. But it just goes to show that control is the key to any successful diet. If someone counts points on WW then that is also a form of control, only the portion is dictated by the value of the points. The same goes for syns on SW. But seeing as life isn't one endless counting of points and numbers and minutes and what-have-you-not, I much prefer the idea of finding out for myself what works for me and eat like that every day. If I eat too much and don't lose or even gain, well, there's the answer as to why!!

And to add to the gospel:

6: yes, TOTM can give some people a gain/STS
7: when you start exercising you may have a gain/STS because your muscles retain water (but muscle does not weigh heavier than fat - a pound is a pound is a pound)

Absolutely. This enduring myth of muscle being heavier than fat never fails to amaze me. Like my older sister once asked me when I was little: what is heavier, a kilo of iron or a kilo of feathers?

I enjoyed the meeting. The consultant was very nice. The group is well established so it may take some time to get to know everyone's stories but that's ok. The SOW week had left so the "basket" went to second prize in the raffle which was won by yours truly. I'd be more excited but it was 3 apricots, an apple and a grapefruit haha. I hate grapefruit! She did say in passing that people needed to remember their fruit but there wasn't much emphasis on it. .......

I got all new books and a card etc so will ditch the old ones. She recognised my previous achievements and indicated I could have certificates for the full amount lost. Yay :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting, it take a little while to get into it when there are a lot of established connections and friendships but I found that only 3 weeks in I was already getting to know quite a lot.
Shame about the fruit basket though, I won slimmer of the week on Monday along with another lady, we both lost the same amount. So we shared the basket and there was so much in there that we both needed a carrier bag. People in my group are very generous with things like melon or even butternut squash, I was chuffed.

I'm really happy for you that your achievements up to date are going to be recognised because you have done tremendously well and it should be known and rewarded!

I'm glad you enjoyed group, and it's great that your consultant recognised your previous achievements!

On a side note, someone at my group last night mentioned the "but muscle is heavier than fat" thing (they had gained but joined a gym!), and I thought the consultant was going to spontaneously combust! He has obviously had to explain this many times before!

Oh I want a butternut squash in my basket next week. Because I WILL be taking it home. Haha. I do think it will make a difference to me for the last stone and a bit. Well I hope so anyway simply because it will become easy to get complacent at this stage. I bought some size 12 jeans from a charity shop yesterday as motivation. But they fitted. Snug but still wearable. Id be in danger of losing my goal if I didn't switch I think. Plus I got clapped for what I've already lost AND she gives out stickers. What's not to love? Anyone who grew up with a Care Bear Panini album loves a good sticker!!

Ha, the "lady who weighs" at my group has little stickers, and my inner four year old loves them - I got one that said "excellent work" last night!

Back