Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Oooh that looks yummy! I would think that spinach would pulverise better - especially if you use baby spinach leaves - as it's so much softer than kale. Let us know how it goes.

Our group has a Macmillan Cancer 'Bake Off' next week (as we're an evening group so a coffee morning isn't practical) and I'm thinking maybe scan bran carrot cake/ muffins - has anyone tried it?

I have the gluten free brown flour ready for the soda bread...!! Weigh in tomorrow morning and then do the school run for my daughter so maybe won't get to try making the bread until Thursday. I was wondering what was in the flour because I once attempted making pastry with some and it was very difficult to handle...it tasted quite good though but I didn't persevere. These ingredients look like they would turn into bread! I'll let you know...may take a pic, if it's presentable!

Oooh that looks yummy! I would think that spinach would pulverise better - especially if you use baby spinach leaves - as it's so much softer than kale. Let us know how it goes.

Our group has a Macmillan Cancer 'Bake Off' next week (as we're an evening group so a coffee morning isn't practical) and I'm thinking maybe scan bran carrot cake/ muffins - has anyone tried it?
I looked at the recipe too...why the Mullerlight? They seem to put that in so many recipes on SW... I can't use it because it's dairy and contains gelatine...Other than that they looked very nice.

Sorry Molly I've never got into scan bran...or should I say, it's never got into me!!

I've never tried it either Janet, and I've now decided to go with the chickpea cookies - 2 batches - one flavoured with lemon essence and the zest of both oranges and lemons, and another carrot/ mixed spice version. I'm also going to experiment with removing the Muller Light and replacing it with creamy soya cheese (which I'll flavour myself with sweetener and vanilla), which should hopefully make the mixture less sloppy and inclined to spread.

All rather experimental and it may go completely t*ts up lol, but I'll keep you posted :D

I don't know that I'd dare be in that close a proximity to nutella lol - especially armed with a spoon ;)

Yes ... I've always steered clear of sweet SW recipes - partly because chocolate scrambled egg/ omelette REALLY doesn't sound evenly remotely like something I want to eat (and we've pretty much established that I'll eat just about anything normally lol) and partly because I find myself shaking my head in bewilderment at the idea of trying to create unhealthy food by tweaking the plan (everything has a calorie content after all, even if it is 'Free' when eaten as part of a balanced meal).

These weren't half bad though and are at least low fat and low sugar ... the funny bit is that I also have to bake for a non SW Macmillan morning and will be making pop cakes covered in marbled milk and white chocolate. Frankly I'd rather have just one of those and syn it ;)

Giving this another go today but using spinach.Eldest is coming up for a couple of days so going to treat him.Also made some Granola for breakfast this morning.Should keep me going until I have my dinner at 6pm. :)

2i7wfns.jpg
my word that looks good!!

This is all making me very hungry! And I've just had dinner!!

I need to find this recipe.It was in a vegetarian mag April I think. :)

ifa2pz.jpg

There's a copy of that issue of the magazine going on a certain auction site right now Hon ... Cook Vegetarian Magazine April 2014. It's available to buy immediately £2.99 with no p&p costs :D

I tried making the gluten free brown soda bread...utter disaster. My take on it was that I should have baked it at 220 not 200 and it needed far more liquid than the 450ml. I used soya milk so maybe that made a difference? It definitely wasn't a sticky dough. Oh well...to the bino it went. But I will have another try...

Gluten free flour takes a bit of getting used to I believe ... my Godson is coeliac and his Mum bakes with it all the time but when she first started using it a LOT went in the bin (and she's a professional chef lol).

Not exactly vegan (or vegetarian) friendly, but I have been given a kilo of chicken livers today - which I think I'm going to use some of with rice crumb and seasonings to make a stuffing for the lambs hearts I'm going to roast for dinner tomorrow. Which got me thinking ... could I make bread with rice? A quick ask of Mr Google and the answer is YES! Rice Bread | Doves Farm :D (and that is vegan friendly lol) As an added plus these people do a brown rice flour as well and it's very reasonably priced.

I forgot about the bread I was supposed to try and went right past the real patisserie yesterday! Doh.

Got my coconut oil today. You must be one of the lucky few cave girl because I didn't get any coconut milk :( sad face. I've been a bit caught up in work this week and little ones first week at big school. Luckily that all went well and she has had a good time. Now I can focus a bit more on other things hopefully!

K has really enjoyed his first week at big school :D I have him sleep over on Thursday nights (as his Mum goes to college on Fridays and it reduces the manic qualities of her morning if she only has to get Tiglet sorted instead of both children) and he literally kissed me awake at 4.30 this morning and asked if it was time to go to school - Bless! Glad your little one has had a good time too :D

Guess what my long suffering husband bought for me last night? A soup maker - Yay!! :D :wee: Your favourite SW friendly soup recipes please girls :)

My own grandparents were my rocks Janet - especially in my early years and I want my own littles to have that same feeling of unconditional love and safety (plus loads of great memories) - being able to do that with loads of energy was (and is) one of my main motivations for losing and keeping off the weight :D

I hate making soup on the hob ... all that sweating out the vegetables, waiting for it to cook, dragging out the food processor (I prefer my soups smooth apart from meaty ones) and then washing it all up. So I hardly ever bothered. My friend bought a soup maker last winter and I used it the other week when I was at her place ... it's just sooooo easy! Bung it all in, select 'blend', switch it on and 21 minutes later there is hot, silky smooth, yummy soup and just one kettle sized pot to rinse and dry. It's been dispatched and should be here on Monday, so I've picked up a load of extra veg on my greengrocers run this morning ready for playtime ;) Beetroot and red cabbage, fresh plum tomatoes, celery, red peppers and chillis and some celeriac. Hot lunches for the next week here I come!

My husband was hugely resistent to the idea on the grounds that my kitchen is a bit of a gadget graveyard lol, so I'm going to have to use it regularly or I'll get it in the neck ;)

That's what good mums do for their boys Cavegirl!

Molly I didn't have the pleasure or otherwise of growing up with any grandparents. Maternal ones emigrated to SA before I was born and I never knew the paternal ones because my father left when I was 4 yrs old.
But your reason was one of the ones that I wanted to return from living in Spain....I did come over for visits during my 14 yrs away but my grandsons referred to me on Skype as grandma in Spain. That has all changed now of course!

Re the soup maker, thanks, it does all sound very easy.

My own children didn't really have much grandparental input - Their father's parents died before they were born and mine moved to France when my eldest was born - before internet - and never embraced technology when it would have enabled them to stay more closely in touch. I've always felt that both sides missed out on so much :( But, hey - I get to do things my way with the littles :D and I've skipped back a generation ... My house is crammed with their stuff! I have everything baby in the loft, from moses baskets to cots, to steam sterilisers, prams, highchairs and baby car seats. Plus vast quantities of things in the house that are still in use (and a huge toy hamper and dolls house). Anyone who didn't know better would assume I still have young children of my own lol.

As they get older they'll have their own lives to lead and see me less I expect, but you're right Cavegirl, they'll always know where I am if they need me :) It will be harder when my eldest has babies as she lives away - not too far but far enough not to be seeing them with great regularity.

Oh Molly...I couldn't go that far with my grandsons and maybe because I find it hard to identify with their lifestyles and values? I was very much a stay at home mum or I worked around the school hours but now parents seem to just work and rely on childcare. My twin grandsons are aged 9 and basically are rebelling against grandma & nannie collecting them from school and not their mum. I know their nannie is very firm with them but I really don't like treating them that way, I'm not into shouting and threatening!! I prefer a more laid back approach which just doesn't work. It's a dilemma for me. :confused: I have spoken to my daughter so she does know how I feel.

Back