Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

nothing in there will spoil, something did sneak into my mouth earlier though which was lovely but 11 unplanned syns!!

Oh dear! Must have been good though :). Glad nothing will spoil. I've arranged a redelivery for Wednesday so look forward to that!

One of the things I love about minis is how much you learn. See, I had no idea about coconut oil apparently helping with dementia so I went off to consult Mr Google. Wow - interesting and it really is food for the mind. Dementia is a nasty and invidious disease so I fully appreciate why you want to do all you can to avoid it.

I like Molly's idea about calorie counting as it would enable you to take your personal needs into account. You could still use the basic principles of SW - HExs etc - adjusted to suit and not bother calorie counting anything that is free on all SW plans ie non-starchy veg etc. It's a case of making a diet work with you rather than making you fit the diet, otherwise it isn't sustainable.

One of the things I love about minis is how much you learn. See, I had no idea about coconut oil apparently helping with dementia so I went off to consult Mr Google. Wow - interesting and it really is food for the mind. Dementia is a nasty and invidious disease so I fully appreciate why you want to do all you can to avoid it.

I like Molly's idea about calorie counting as it would enable you to take your personal needs into account. You could still use the basic principles of SW - HExs etc - adjusted to suit and not bother calorie counting anything that is free on all SW plans ie non-starchy veg etc. It's a case of making a diet work with you rather than making you fit the diet, otherwise it isn't sustainable.

Exactly Patty - to me it's useful to know that HExs work out at roughly 130 calories each, so I see no harm in using the same amount of calories on things that are healthy, provide essential nutrients but aren't normally classed as a HEx (like avocado, flax seed, coconut oil etc). It's not like using those calories on chocolate or crisps ;)

Re Mr Google ... I saw a chap wearing a T Shirt at the weekend with the slogan "I don't need Google - my Wife knows everything" and thought to myself 'Yep, that's because us women know how to Google properly' ;) lol

Sam's thought of the day:

Iceland's "Posh Grub"

Surely a contradiction in terms? Or is the clue in the use of "Grub"? ;)

Haha yes, all it's lacking is a question mark. Its grammatical irony! :)

LOL ... I guess it's all relative ;) If your normal fare is Iceland turkey burgers and chips, then anything more elaborate might conceivably seem 'Posh'.

On other SW forums I am constantly amazed by the amount of grown adults who seem to lack even the most basic grasp of cooking skills :( There seem to be so many people who don't know how to even make a spaghetti bolognese without a jar of pasta sauce!

On other SW forums I am constantly amazed by the amount of grown adults who seem to lack even the most basic grasp of cooking skills :( There seem to be so many people who don't know how to even make a spaghetti bolognese without a jar of pasta sauce!

One of the many reasons people gain weight!! If the lack of cooking skills was addressed I don't think we'd have such an obesity problem as we do have.

True Cavegirl, but there are so many hidden fats and sugars etc in pre-prepared foods that often people just don't realise how many calories they are eating and how little vegetables etc.

When I were a lass ( ;) ) not only was cookery compulsory at my school but basic nutrition was taught as well, so we had to plan meals that were nutritionally balanced and then prepare them in class. So, to my mind, not only have the basic cooking skills been lost thanks to curriculum changes, but also the awareness of what goes into a meal and how the ingredients add up calorie wise.

I was morbidly obese because I'm a compulsive overeater who made (deliberately) very poor food and quantity choices, but I'm coming across so many youngsters who (despite all the Govt 'change for life' and 'healthy eating' programs that my own children were taught briefly from time to time) are woefully unaware of how what they are eating adds up or that they need to look beyond product advertising to discover if something really is balanced or healthy.

My husband lives on the most unhealthy food you can imagine - he even deep fries flaming Richmond sausages (bleurgh!!!) and he's as thin as a rake BUT he does a manual job and actually eats very little. One slice of toast for breakfast, 8 cream crackers with very thinly sliced cheese and a packet of crisps at lunch and then his deep fried fest for dinner - but not large portions. He cooks for himself apart from Sundays (the only day he actually eats vegetables lol) and high days and holidays and of course it's not remotely healthy - but he's the sort of person who people look at and say 'well he eats all fried stuff and is really slim, it's not fair that he has such a fast metabolism and I don't', not realising the whole picture :)

I think its a combination of a lack of awareness and a lack of time. I totally agree that you could live off ready meals, the RIGHT kind but I'm not sure about you lot but I'd be starving! If we had greater emphasis on nutrition earlier on and more on cooking skills (schools do still offer it but the emphasis in my school is less on nutrition and more on practicality and presentation) and combined this with more time to make the right choices and literally MAKE the food it may help.

But then Pizza tastes nice doesn't it and so people (including me still) will indulge regardless of whether we we know its good for us. It's all relative :) I was obese because of deeper rooted issues than an inability to cook. I've always been able to cook BUT I would say my awareness now of the "right" foods is infinitely more refined. Now I cook better and more nourishing foods.

Last edited:
On a semi related note I googled those nut burgers you made cavegirl and downloaded her one day raw plan. I'm not planning a full day today but my breakfast was raw :) I'm just not sure what I fancy for my lunch yet :) that Karen knowler is obviously doing something right. She is in her 40s and looks about 21!!!

IMO there are better quality ready made meals but the portion for 2 looks about one portion to me! I think the bad stuff is the deep fried KFC & McD type stuff.
Sitting at group I hear many new members saying those are the foods they've given up buying and it's true to say that many young mums do ask 'how to cook' basic dishes.

Let me know what you come across. When I downloaded the one day plan they offered me her book for £4.99 but in older out of date binding. Its a bit early for me to think about a book so I declined. I went raw for lunch too but followed it up with a cup of miso soup (just the paste and boiling water as I managed to swap the soups I had for a jar of the paste so no fish in sight!) so not wholly raw I suppose but then that's the beauty of fusion plans! :)

Ah thanks! Please feel free to join in the (often weird) discussions! :) the more the merrier!!

Want to say good Luck to you for Sunday Molly!! I will keep everything crossed for you. You have really helped me on here at times and fully deserve your moment in the spotlight and maybe the next one WHEN (not if) you get through. Sure we would all love to see some photos!! X

Awww, that's so sweet of you Sam - thank you! :) and I promise to post some photos.

Best not to keep everything crossed mind you ... it might be a bit risky while attempting 'Body Magic' ;) (and how the heck I am going to be able to use THAT phrase in any context on Sunday without snorting with derision is a bit of a mystery lol)

Now- Raw Food .... not a route I'm going down but you guys are probably the most adept of all the people I know at tracking down unusual ingredients, so I figure you are going to be able to point me in the right direction of a source of raw horseradish root or even horseradish plants so that I can grow my own

Ooh interesting. Hmm horseradish. I'll do some investigating! :)

Back