Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

Quiet day at work today so I've been browsing recipes (Quelle suprise lol) and found this savoury porridge. It occurs to me that it might be made vegan by substituting the bacon with quorn choritzo :)

[h=2]Savoury porridge with kale and bacon[/h]Pinhead cooks to a lovely texture not unlike risotto rice. Serves two.
4 rashers streaky bacon
75g pinhead oatmeal
100g kale or cavolo nero, leaves torn from the stalks and shredded
450ml chicken, vegetable or ham stock
20g butter
3 shallots, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the grill. Put the bacon on a small baking tray and grill for four to five minutes, until crisp. Keep warm.
Put the oatmeal in a sieve and give it a good shake to remove smaller grains. Rinse the sieved pinheads under the cold tap and set aside.
Bring the stock to a boil in a medium pan, add the kale and cook for three to four minutes, until just tender. Strain, reserving the stock, and squeeze any excess stock from the kale back into the pan.
Put a small saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the butter and, when foaming, add the shallot and garlic, and sweat for two to three minutes, without colouring. Add the oatmeal to the pan, cook for a minute, pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 15–20 minutes, stirring from time to time, until the oats are tender and the stock has been absorbed. You want a loose consistency like that of traditional breakfast porridge, so if it seems too dry, add a splash more stock.
Roughly chop the squeezed-out kale and stir through the porridge. Season generously, then spoon into warmed plates or bowls, top with the crisp bacon and serve.

Right I'm back. Sorry for the absence. I've been a bit vulnerable and @@ck the world for the last few weeks with the net result that I have put on weight. Feel awful. Put on weight. Feel awful and so on. I know you all know how it works. What I have decided is this (and funnily it all stems from a mistake)
1- I need you guys and shouldn't hide away. You don't judge but I'm my own worst critic so my head says otherwise
2- I need to sign up again for the online slimming world service. Meetings didn't work for me and neither does going it alone.
3- I need to start from scratch. From this exact point. I can't keep riding the crest of 5st weight loss. (Closer to 4 now!!)

funnily I signed up to a subscription of vegetarian living magazine about 6 weeks ago but they made a mistake and sent me copies of the latest slimming world mag. The first one I thought was just a complimentary copy. The second one made me realise they had made a mistake their end (which I have now sorted) but I'm taking it as the universe telling me something.

I missed you guys! :)

did you get your veganbox today?? you are the only other person I know of who gets them so I like to check in each month! got a few yummy things in there today, all of which I had to test a little of!

Hi Donna :) yes I got it and it was a doozy this month wasn't it?! I haven't tried the cookies yet but they are only 3 syns so they are nice and friendly! I like the face cream (not enough to spend £50odd quid on a full size one!!)

Thanks Mary. I'm happy to be back. I plan on taking stock Monday morning and using that as my start point. I have emailed slimming world about switching back. To restart is a tad pricey but if I need to I will :)

I liked that in a supportive way! I hope they are both ok? Like you say sometimes no thought needed approach is good!! I've made pasta today to take out. I'm not fully back on plan as no real superfree but will take a banana! :)

I also went off plan a few months ago and gained everything back so well done for getting a grip on it before it went too far.
Sally....I think that's the good thing about SW, we may deviate for a while but we know the plan works so getting back to it again is the best reward we can give ourselves.:bighug:

Welcome back Sam!! :D I'm sure I speak for us all when I say you were sorely missed :grouphugg:

I do the whole 'retreat from the world' thing when things go wrong too - even though that means I miss out on support :( When I had cancer I didn't tell anyone apart from my husband, kids and those I had to at work - it all just felt like too much to have to keep explaining stuff. Plus I have this presenting a competent and strong facade to the world habit (probably thanks to my emotionally constipated mother ;) ) and it somehow feels like I'm letting myself down if I show any weakness - sheer madness really, but we are what we are :)

I hope the family are all OK now Cavegirl.

Great to have you back Sam, you've been missed!

Thanks guys :)

I am a bit inscrutable when things go awry. I'm awful for internalising. I'm trying to get better. None of this journey is quick! On that note though did anyone see that news report that said that contrary to popular belief and past recommendation the best way to lose weight and keep it off was QUICKLY? I'm not so sure about that unless they mean those that get to target quick so they don't lose motivation. From my own experience nothing that allows you to lose weight quickly is sustainable in the long term.

I saw that article too ... the premise seemed to be that those who lost weight quickly were no more likely to put it all back on than those who lost it slowly - contrary to the 'if you lose slowly it's more likely to stay off' thinking.

Both make sense really - it's never going to stay off for someone like me unless I stay focused on keeping it off and that would apply whether I lost it quickly or slowly. The study found that, whatever speed the weight was lost at, only about a 3rd in each group managed to maintain over 2 years post target (though people who lost quickly were more likely to reach target - probably because they stay motivated).

I see I posted 'nothing works long term'....lol. I didn't mean that the way it sounds. I was more talking about diets that promise you tons of pounds off in a short space of time...

I was impatient to get to target for sure but the SW way is sensibly balanced so we should never lack anything in our daily eating. How I got there still amazes me with my strange dietary needs.
Back in 2003 I lost about 20lbs...stayed static until 2007, same story until 2012. Hopefully...no more gaining for me!!

the cookies were really nice, and the raspberries were amazing!!!

Hi Donna :) yes I got it and it was a doozy this month wasn't it?! I haven't tried the cookies yet but they are only 3 syns so they are nice and friendly! I like the face cream (not enough to spend £50odd quid on a full size one!!)

Hi LTL good to have you back. Well done for realising what you need to do and what works for you

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

the cookies were really nice, and the raspberries were amazing!!!

The cookies were like chocolately rusks. Yummy!!! I've nearly finished the face cream. I can't get over how expensive it is. I mean it's nice and everything but still!?? Crazy. I liked the raspberries too but wasn't keen on the oat bar. My husband finished that off though and proclaimed it "nice".

Ok. Day one of my restart. I weighed in at 13st dead on. Which although awful probably could have been worse. I have always been able to put weight on quickly. The flip side is that it can often come off the same way so not so bad. So it begins....(again). I want to get down to where I was (just in the 11s) for Christmas. So that's a stone over the next 8 weeks or so. I jut checked cave girls signature. So 1st in 65 days. Nearly 9 weeks. 1-2lb a week should do it nicely. Wish me luck!! :)

Back