Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

th
cloud-th.png
Bloody parents think they're funny calling you Fanny!

For those that don't get it, (probably not old enough to remember) this ^^^is Fanny Craddock, celebrity cook, famous in the 70's (and before). Funny old Fanny was actually Phyllis!

Last edited:
I actually didn't know that's who it was but had guessed nonetheless as I don't think there are very many famous fannies. ;) Argh every line sounds like a joke. It's just too easy. She looks like an angry Fannie in the picture. No-one likes an angry Fanny. Or even a mildly disgruntled one.

Janet, who was a boy called Sue? I've not heard of that! :)

A Boy Named Sue is a song by Johnny Cash - a family favourite in our house when I was growing up!

Argh every line sounds like a joke. It's just too easy.

It is! Like shooting fish in a barrel :8855:

I'm just about old enough to remember her on TV towards the end of her career, but by most accounts Fanny Cradock was a pretty unpleasant woman with a full on addiction to speed.

My MIL is a Johnny Cash fan, so A boy named Sue is one I know :D - though I can beat that, in that I used to know a guy who's (real - on his birth certificate and everything) name was ....

Wait for it! .....

Snow White

I remember the name Fanny Craddock and her husband...did they do cooking?

Yes, Fanny and Johnnie! (What a combo...) ;)

I'm just about old enough to remember her on TV towards the end of her career, but by most accounts Fanny Cradock was a pretty unpleasant woman with a full on addiction to speed.

She was a real battle axe that's for sure. There was only one boss in that marriage and it wasn't Johnnie!

Last edited:
It is! Like shooting fish in a barrel :8855:

My MIL is a Johnny Cash fan, so A boy named Sue is one I know :D - though I can beat that, in that I used to know a guy who's (real - on his birth certificate and everything) name was ....

Wait for it! .....

Snow White

No.

tell me he changed it!!

Oh 'Snow White'...wonder what he did with that name...many Snowy or Whitey? But what could a man do with Sue?

Talking about 'Whitey', that's what we were called always called when we were in any African country...racist? of course not, just stating the obvious.

There wasn't much he could do with Snow White as he was a black Nigerian, so over here no-one was prepared to call him either Snowy or Whitey for fear of being seen as racist (he opted for 'John' but kept it as his official name - presumably out of respect for his parents, who originally chose it for him).

At one point I worked for a distance learning company and I did come across some truly unusual names amongst the African students ... Marvelous, Ever Polite (who wasn't!), Gift, Rainy Day, Eleven (I'm guessing he came from a large family and they ran out of imagination lol), Churchill and Beautiful (which always seemed to me to be taking a bit of a gamble ;) )being just a few that I can remember. And I did go to school with a girl named Emma Dale (but in all fairness she was named long before the inception of the soap :D ).

Oh - interesting that the name has been *******ed out! I'm sure you all have enough knowledge to work out what it is!
Yes it always was blotted out!

Molly...doesn't your list show the imagination and perhaps aspirations those parents had for their children. I've met a 'good luck' too. All these are easier to pronounce than some tribal names. I've also found that Christians seem to abandon those names and choose biblical ones.
As a side...my husband is named Joseph Isaacs and he gets called by either name sometimes!! In Spain his names were easy but they couldn't pronounce Janet so if someone was calling my name from a list they'd called Elizabeth (2nd name) because they have that name there too.

Last edited:
I think it's lovely that all those positive words are first names. :) like Janet says, Hopefully they are aspirational. I always liked the name Grace but was worried in case I had a child that was a clumsy great lump. Turns out she is clumsy but not a lump. In fact she is very petite. Clearly not my genes haha.

They are all rather charming in their aspirational qualities aren't they? :) ... well, apart from 'Eleven' obviously ;)

Though you would think that if you named your child Ever Polite you might at least make some effort to teach her some manners - much more controllable than clumsiness :D When you think about it there are quite a few English names that fall into the aspirational category - Grace, as you say (I like that too) , plus Hope, Faith, Felicity, Gay(another one that's fallen by the wayside due to language shift), Bonny and so on - oddly I can't come up with any male versions though, which is interesting.

My actual name is Marie, (though I've used Molly as an online name for so long that some of my IRL friends who I originally met online do actually call me that, so I answer to both) and it does seem to be pretty much recognised in most languages albeit with slightly different pronunciations.

What a co-inky-dink

my real name is Dave.

Dont tell my husband...Barbara would never understand.

That looks good! I'll have a shop round on there on my kindle! :) thanks :)

....and just briefly reverting back to the previous conversation, should you wish to see fanny on the telly ("titter ye not"! *in my best Frankie Howerd voice*) she's on the food network next cooking Christmas Dinner.

Festive fanny. The best kind.

Back