LighterLife Men's Forum

Starlight, you have the patience and determination of a saint!! WELL DONE YOU!!!! That is very good going on WW!!! I did WW in the states, and I thought it was a great diet, especially as there were some prepared meals that made it simple in times of chaos!! But I did not have the stick-to-itiveness that you do. I am so impressed, and you must feel bl**dy proud of yourself!! I never noticed you had lost all that on WW....I tend to stay in the LL forum and when others post there I suppose I assume they are on LL too....or CD....so I am just in awe of you now. You now have "hero status" - something I don;t give out willy nilly!! :D

xx

It really is very much horses for courses.

I did weight watchers for some time years ago and lost a bit of weight but the choice of foods did it for me...temptation took over and willpower lost out.

With all diets, research and experience is the only thing that people could or should comment on.

Generalisations about anything are just not productive and lead to arguments and misunderstandings....such as has now happened here.

Come on folks, lets be supportive and be friends. Everyone is doing well so far along the weight reduction plan they have chosen.

It really is not "them and us".:rolleyes:

Afternoon Folks :)

I also think the idea of a mens board is a great idea. Another thread of support that goes one step further in developing our community for everyone. We all have similar issues after all:rolleyes::D

Lacey..x :)

It really is very much horses for courses.

I did weight watchers for some time years ago and lost a bit of weight but the choice of foods did it for me...temptation took over and willpower lost out.

With all diets, research and experience is the only thing that people could or should comment on.

Generalisations about anything are just not productive and lead to arguments and misunderstandings....such as has now happened here.

Come on folks, lets be supportive and be friends. Everyone is doing well so far along the weight reduction plan they have chosen.

It really is not "them and us".:rolleyes:

Thanks BL & bex :)

Well said lemma, youre spot on it IS down to each of us to find the diet that works for us. This forum is about support whatever diet youre on. I just think its offensive to dismiss a particular diet out of hand as a 'so called diet' when its proven to work.

We're all in this together and should be able to offer support even to those on a different diet to our chosen one.

I'm with Starlight on this one; fine do your favourite diet, promote it to others if you feel enthusiastic about it.

But never, ever, ignorantly disrespect a diet that someone has done with such phenomenal success. It really just makes the person writing so judgementally, look very stupid.

I think this thread is now going in a totally different direction to what was intended!

I have not looked looked at the entire minimins website for one simple reason, I am doing LL and wanted direct support from others doing LL, I had no interest in gathering support from people on other diets for one simple reason - I am not dismissing that regardless of what plan you follow, dieting is bl**dy hard, but have found that with LL and the abstinence of food, it is especially hard, and something that those on WW or SW will not fully understand - trust me, I have done them all and my weight has yo-yo'd for 22 years. LL really is a "when all else has failed" diet, it is extreme.

I know Mike, he attends the same LL group as me, as is one of the least arrogant people I know.

This thread is supposed to be about petitioning for a LL mens forum, not to whinge and moan about other diet plans.

Here's one final question for you - next time you go to your respective weigh ins, how many men stay for the session afterwards - from my experience not that many (in fact on the 3 different SW groups I have been to over the years and the 1 WW the male that stayed was me). This is totally different in LL and would therefore suggest a mens forum in LL. If I was still in SW, I would probably requesting the same thing there, for the simple reason - I am doing SW and want support from those going through the same diet program - sorry to me it makes sense to have mens groups for each of the diet plans - with men being the simple folk we are - we don't look around, we go straight to what is relevant for us!

Youll find that any suggestions put forward on Minimins are always well discussed so they can be progressed in the best way forward for the members and the site :) All points of view are looked at by the Admin team who make the final decisons. (Oh to be that powerful ;) )

Fair enough Mike might not have agreed with my idea, as is his right, as is anyones right but to be so dismissive of another diet, to call it a so called diet, and several of his other comments was downright rude and very ill informed. THAT is not what Minimins is about, Minimins is about support for all/every diets. Personally I could never do LL or CD, Im not keen on the idea of them & I know I couldnt stick to them but I respect other peoples decisons to follow them, and Im supportive of them too.

Im sure the idea of a Mens Forum is being looked at, whether its exclusively for LL or a more general one, but whatever happens with it, its no excuse to be so rude & dismissive of another, very successful form of weight loss

Last edited:
Starlight,
I agree there is no need to be rude, and although can't speak for Mike, am sure that was not his intention.

Keep up the good work though on your diet - 10 stone is no easy task!!

Cheers for the support Corey, and I am sorry that I have upset you Starlight, I certainly didn't intend to.

What didn't come across properly was that I wrote "so-called" with a smile as I did so - and it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek (though of course I can see that it could easily be taken literally), particularly as I went on to mention the zeal around certain diets.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. At least we generated some good discussion and kept this post up the ratings a bit so that a few other chaps have been able to see it.

Apologies again.

P.S. this does not mean that I think all men on different diets should have a single forum. I am on LL because I believe a VLCD is the only way for me to get where I need to be - and LL in particular because of the counselling and support of fellow group members (Corey and Patrick for example). I really would not touch WW or SW with a bargepole, as i think there are fundamental problems in what they do, but that is just me, and I admire anybody that has lost a lot of weight in any way.

Cheers
Mike

Im sure the idea of a Mens Forum is being looked at, whether its exclusively for LL or a more general one, but whatever happens with it, its no excuse to be so rude & dismissive of another, very successful form of weight loss

I'm not sure that I was rude about a form of weight-loss, dismissive indeed, but not rude.:)

Anyway I'd better re-read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus again as I had forgotten how much can be read into a simple comment if you are not careful (Said tongue-in cheek with a smile on my face just to be quite clear this time:))

Cheers
Mike

I'm not sure that I was rude about a form of weight-loss, dismissive indeed, but not rude.:)

Anyway I'd better re-read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus again as I had forgotten how much can be read into a simple comment if you are not careful (Said tongue-in cheek with a smile on my face just to be quite clear this time:))

Cheers
Mike

lol - Mikey, I read that book once, or started it. I think by the the third page I realised just how much I drove my ex husband crazy!! :D I figured that was enough reading!!! LOL

lol - Mikey, I read that book once, or started it. I think by the the third page I realised just how much I drove my ex husband crazy!! :D I figured that was enough reading!!! LOL

I know what you mean. It was a good read though as it explained a lot of stuff to me about women wanting sympathy, empathy, shoulder to cry-on, etc, when things are bad, and men just rushing in trying to fix everything! Now I never fix a thing !!:)

I know what you mean. It was a good read though as it explained a lot of stuff to me about women wanting sympathy, empathy, shoulder to cry-on, etc, when things are bad, and men just rushing in trying to fix everything! Now I never fix a thing !!:)

That was a big thing! And it is true! We sometimes just want someone to listen - we know how to fix things - its just an ear we are after!!!

I wouldn;t stop fixing everything though if I were you!! We do have our limits!! :D

I think it is a terrific idea to have a men only LL forum.

To add my opinion of the above mentioned statements, I agree that and diet that works for the individual must be a good diet.

I have never been on any other form of diet so I am not ideally placed to comment on others but from my experience of LL it is difficult to see how other regular diets such as WW could be effective as a diet such as the LL programme, just my opinion based on my limited experience.

Patrick;)

Hi Patrick,

Have to say if I could hide my weight as effectively as you hide your height - I wouldn't need to diet lol.

Are we seeing you on Thursday or has Maggie moved you onto te RtM sessions now??

Corey

Back