Lily's Lyrical Lollop. Destination: Land's End...

I had exactly the same thought myself the other day. Super fat vs superskinny have exploded the myth that if you eat 10500 calories extra a day than your body needs you do not gain 3lbs a day.

If it was that simple we could all be slim. Feeling very miserable and irritable today but your pearls of wisdom always lighten my day!!

Lily - firstly nice one for noticing my skewed logic and how it omited to accept that sweetener is the devil (actually I know it deep down I just chose to ignore that too, especially when coke zero and malitol are such staple items on my survival list right about now) :D

Secondly - this is some serious insight sister!!! My dad once went on something which was low carb/atkins esque. He would consume massses of cream, butter, cheese, eggs, red meat daily and he would lose on average 4lb a week! It was crazy, in line with that was also that he would take high doses of EFA's and I mean about 2000mgs a day of flax and fish oils. He also looked really healthy!!!

So getting back to your question about when is a calorie not a calorie, I also have often mused this, and there are some simple facts that we know marissa peers also knows, especially about empty carbs, so those that have no nutritional value, like wheatie treaties!!! And the sugar monster...

Ohh I am quite excited you are going to read up on this, because I want to know the real answer :)
I had exactly the same thought myself the other day. Super fat vs superskinny have exploded the myth that if you eat 10500 calories extra a day than your body needs you do not gain 3lbs a day.

If it was that simple we could all be slim. Feeling very miserable and irritable today but your pearls of wisdom always lighten my day!!

Well, strictly speaking, they're not my pearls of wisdom, LOL. :) I'm reading other people's stuff - and here and there putting my own spin on it.

But those of you who like this sort of thing won't be surprised to hear that I've been dipping in and out of stuff written by Gary Taubes, Mary and Mike Eades, Jimmy (Livinglavidalowcarb) Moore and Zoe Harcombe. I felt oddly disloyal to Marisa Peer while reading Zoe's thoughts - but I've just found a 5 star review of one of Zoe's books on Amazon that was actually written by Marisa, so I feel much better now. :D

So why isn't a calorie a calorie? It's complicated and I'm wary of getting too deep into science right here right now. But it's because it's based on a really dodgy premise - that energy in = energy out. But that only works in a closed system - and the human body is not a closed system. You can never tell what the body is going to do with the calories that we give it (by way of food). Except - that if you give it sugar, it's going to do its damndest to burn that off first and put fat burning on hold. That's why the conventional low fat/low calorie diet is doomed to failure. The only way to eat enough calories to feel even remotely satisfied on a low fat/low calorie diet is to eat them in the form of carbs (glorified sugar). Oops. Might be a while then before your body gets around to fat burning.

But there's so much more to the when is a calorie not a calorie thing than that and I'm not even going to scrape the surface in just one post. Cogitate on this though: the body uses up to 25% more energy when digesting protein than it does digesting carbs. That's why there's a metabolic advantage to eating low carb - you burn more calories burning protein than you would if you were consuming the same number of calories' worth of carbohydrate.

The whole eat less, move more theory is also fundamentally flawed. If you eat less and move more, your body will do at least one of two things (and probably both), (1) conserve energy and (2) send signals to your brain that tell you you need to eat! Small wonder then that nearly all of us will fall off a low calorie diet at some point, no matter how strong our will power. I suspect one of the few reasons why we can get away with the low calorie intake of Cambridge is because its low carb content puts us into ketosis. But on a conventional low calorie diet, you'll probably be drawn to eating carbs - which play havoc with your blood sugars.

So if you are contemplating swapping to another diet when you're done with Cambridge, it seems that you really would be best off with a low carb plan. If you do go for something like WW or SW though, it seems it might be best to eat your points/free foods in the form of meat, poultry, veg and fruit - and stay as far away from carbs as you can...

More on this to come, I'm sure... :D

Hi Lily,

Eeeewwwww on the Miss Marisa... I think I'll give her a pass. I am not a big fan of negative reinforcement.

I'd rather use Beck's Credit -- and feel good when I make the right choices.

I hope you are having a good day.

Mel

I am having a good day, thanks Mel. As for negative reinforcement, well you could say I've been brainwashed (I do!), but I don't see it that way. Why do we eat wheat? Even cattle shouldn't be fed wheat - they should be eating grass! The only reason wheat-based products have proliferated is because wheat is dirt cheap and there are enormous amounts of money to be made from making them look extremely appetising.

As for milk - Marisa's not the only person to comment on the pus content. And it isn't just the pus, it's the fact that it's naturally full of growth hormones - hormones designed to make a calf grow to be the size of its mother in a year.

Food for thought quite literally, eh? :)

I gave just read all these updates with delight and a bit of disgust. Thanks for explaining the pus malarkey. Puts me off a wee bit I have to say....especially fermented cheddar pus.

The calories lark is a real issue for CD mantainence because their system of transfer into normal reality seems entirely calorie based. For me, every pasta calorie is quadrupled when it hits my butt, I'm certain!

Brilliant reflections comrades. The protein energy burning potential cheers me up muchly. Rotisserie chicken anyone? On a slice of cow bait?

Love it

Lily, just a quick one as I'm on my phone, but Ww has changed the system, propoints aren't calculated by calories anymore but by fat protein, carbs and fibre. They work on keeping you full and satisfied ie higher protein, fibre lower carbs and fat. Makes total sense.

Well, strictly speaking, they're not my pearls of wisdom, LOL. :) I'm reading other people's stuff - and here and there putting my own spin on it.

But those of you who like this sort of thing won't be surprised to hear that I've been dipping in and out of stuff written by Gary Taubes, Mary and Mike Eades, Jimmy (Livinglavidalowcarb) Moore and Zoe Harcombe. I felt oddly disloyal to Marisa Peer while reading Zoe's thoughts - but I've just found a 5 star review of one of Zoe's books on Amazon that was actually written by Marisa, so I feel much better now. :D

So why isn't a calorie a calorie? It's complicated and I'm wary of getting too deep into science right here right now. But it's because it's based on a really dodgy premise - that energy in = energy out. But that only works in a closed system - and the human body is not a closed system. You can never tell what the body is going to do with the calories that we give it (by way of food). Except - that if you give it sugar, it's going to do its damndest to burn that off first and put fat burning on hold. That's why the conventional low fat/low calorie diet is doomed to failure. The only way to eat enough calories to feel even remotely satisfied on a low fat/low calorie diet is to eat them in the form of carbs (glorified sugar). Oops. Might be a while then before your body gets around to fat burning.

But there's so much more to the when is a calorie not a calorie thing than that and I'm not even going to scrape the surface in just one post. Cogitate on this though: the body uses up to 25% more energy when digesting protein than it does digesting carbs. That's why there's a metabolic advantage to eating low carb - you burn more calories burning protein than you would if you were consuming the same number of calories' worth of carbohydrate.

The whole eat less, move more theory is also fundamentally flawed. If you eat less and move more, your body will do at least one of two things (and probably both), (1) conserve energy and (2) send signals to your brain that tell you you need to eat! Small wonder then that nearly all of us will fall off a low calorie diet at some point, no matter how strong our will power. I suspect one of the few reasons why we can get away with the low calorie intake of Cambridge is because its low carb content puts us into ketosis. But on a conventional low calorie diet, you'll probably be drawn to eating carbs - which play havoc with your blood sugars.

So if you are contemplating swapping to another diet when you're done with Cambridge, it seems that you really would be best off with a low carb plan. If you do go for something like WW or SW though, it seems it might be best to eat your points/free foods in the form of meat, poultry, veg and fruit - and stay as far away from carbs as you can...

More on this to come, I'm sure... :D

I am having a good day, thanks Mel. As for negative reinforcement, well you could say I've been brainwashed (I do!), but I don't see it that way. Why do we eat wheat? Even cattle shouldn't be fed wheat - they should be eating grass! The only reason wheat-based products have proliferated is because wheat is dirt cheap and there are enormous amounts of money to be made from making them look extremely appetising.

As for milk - Marisa's not the only person to comment on the pus content. And it isn't just the pus, it's the fact that it's naturally full of growth hormones - hormones designed to make a calf grow to be the size of its mother in a year.

Food for thought quite literally, eh? :)

Lily - SO hot right now....

On the subject of wheat and milk and growth hormones, steriods in meat and GM manufacturing. Have you ever wondered how some women have HUGE calves in the modern age when we are much more sedentary than women in say 1950's...I was reading an interesting article on the introduction of growth hormones and steriods in animal feeds, which co-incided with the post war period (well post-post war late 1960's) where factory farming grew in earnest.

Anyway, the article was very much so drawing a scientific parralel with the hormonal imballances (particularly high levels of viceral fat and the development of extra muscular lower legs) of women and the introduction of animal steriods and growth hormones in dairy and meat production - in fact it was a major selling point of eating organic and non factory farmed food types in the early 1990's.

You cant help but think. Steroids seriously impact on people's weight, chemical structures stay in muscle memory, so if it stays in say - a cows rear butt muscle and then we chow down on a nice 8 oz rump steak, we will inevitably ingest some level of steriods no matter how small.

Whoa, see now you got me on one!!!

Lily - you are great, I think you need to turn pro at this malarkie.

The one bit of my body that never reduces is my calves.

Now, maybe that is because I am a runner....but my thighs and hips reduce and I would say they are just as engaged in the process of propelling me along.

I think you are onto something there lass!

Hi Lily,

As you know I am a big fan of Low Carb and right carbs (my DH and I use South Beach for most of our meals). I am mildly lactose intolerant so I am soy milk or almond milk (if any milk) consumer. But my kids drink cow's milk and eat cheese.

We ahve been trying to go organic on most foods, if possible -- to avoid the added hormones.

One of things that was noted in the US was that girl's were reaching puberty much younger than they did 50 years ago. And, this attributed to the growth hormones in the food chain.

Mel

QUOTE]

Argh, me too. I have rugby player legs with huge quads. They are toned, but massive. Hate them :( I don't eat a lot of dairy though, don't really like it!

Argh, me too. I have rugby player legs with huge quads. They are toned, but massive. Hate them :( I don't eat a lot of dairy though, don't really like it!

I have chunky legs and cankles -- even when very thin. We need to move to Texas or Southern California... it has been my experience that Hispanic men find legs like ours sexy!

Mel

I have chunky legs and cankles -- even when very thin. We need to move to Texas or Southern California... it has been my experience that Hispanic men find legs like ours sexy!

Mel

Sounds good to me :D

Evening peeps!

Well, it's Saturday, so that can mean only one thing...

Drum roll...

I've dropped a pound! :woohoo:

Still 14st something - 14st 0lbs - but hey, I can't grumble. It's official - the scales are moving downwards. :D

Woohoo! Thats fab Lily, so glad it's working for you and it's painless too! X

Excellent news!

Just to join the club, I have massive calves too. It's not just the milk, its the meat, especially for any of us who were born between 1970's and the modern day and who ate a lot of factory farmed meat (meaning non organic and free-range - especially badly steroid fed CHICKEN and BEEF)

What are you doing to lose 1LB A WEEK THEN...whats the secret?

Evening peeps!

Drum roll...

Still 14st something - 14st 0lbs - but hey, I can't grumble. It's official - the scales are moving downwards. :D

Congrats! I think Shanny found that pound... but with all the school outings, she has done well.

Mel

Evening peeps!

Drum roll...

YASSSSSS! YASSSS! YASSSSSS!!!!!

Back in a mo. Still catching up.....

I am moving to a southern state. Where my legs will be acceptable.

I have big calves and skinny ankles. Like a battery hen.

Lily, I am so delighted you are losing- well-deserved you wonderful woman

:talk017::talk017::talk017::talk017::talk017:

I am moving to a southern state. Where my legs will be acceptable.

I have big calves and skinny ankles. Like a battery hen.

Lily, I am so delighted you are losing- well-deserved you wonderful woman

:talk017::talk017::talk017::talk017::talk017:
I agree with Jo.. so pleased you are happy back in the 13's is a massive achievement Lily.. xxx :) :):)

Excellent news!

Just to join the club, I have massive calves too. It's not just the milk, its the meat, especially for any of us who were born between 1970's and the modern day and who ate a lot of factory farmed meat (meaning non organic and free-range - especially badly steroid fed CHICKEN and BEEF)

What are you doing to lose 1LB A WEEK THEN...whats the secret?
Marisa Peer. :) No other secret, honest. I'm just 'eating the foods I was put on this earth to eat'. :D

(I was put on this earth to eat?? Is that all? I thought I was put here to bore people silly about the subject of shedding weight... ;))

Marisa Peer. :) No other secret, honest. I'm just 'eating the foods I was put on this earth to eat'. :D

(I was put on this earth to eat?? Is that all? I thought I was put here to bore people silly about the subject of shedding weight... ;))

Lil,

You and me, both! LOL

Mel

Back