Link between obesity and cognitive function

Ha! So we're all thickos eh??

They just need to look at the threadstopper thread to see that we are indeed a intelligent, clever, creative, exceptional and gifted group of people;)

Results from a test involving word memory recall show people with a BMI of 20 remembered an average of nine out of 16 words, while people with a BMI of 30 remembered an average of seven out of 16 words.
My BMI is okay now and I can't remember anything! They should have tested me. I could have brought the average score down ;)

mmhh, strange. I could accept high BMI linked with emotional intelligence as I think it is emotional handling or mishandling that has made me turn to food but to link it to cognitive ability is a bit weird....to me anyway.

What are these people on with, the ought to put themselves up against us and see how they fare. Cheeky, obnoxious a**eholes.

It makes you wanna scream.

Sonkie

They have beat down smokers to pulps now...its on to the fat people...a new scape goat to make completely pointless and absolutely downright disgraceful studies

Who pays these guys?

Ivy

Its disgusting how people can treat us like this and get away with it, I bet these jumped up *****S have got some really bad habits themselves.

It makes me so angry

Sonkie

Oh!

Am I the only person who sees this as a positive thing then? I mean, surely we all know that being obese is bad for our health - all this survey does is confirm one aspect of that, and in fact if these findings mean that further research into prevention or avoidance of senile dementia is made possible, isn't that a good thing?

It's tying BMI to *cognitive function*, not to IQ! I don't see how it's insulting or disgraceful. :confused:

Has anyone ever seen anyone with dementia who is obese, I know of a few people and they are all average size and not overweight, so I cant see how they can link it to obesity.

This is my view though and know if we all thought the same the world would be a boring place

Sonkie

Well, if you think about it, there are loads of different causes of (for example) heart disease - if you can narrow down your chances of getting heart disease, or senile dementia, or cancer any other disease by changing one thing, surely the research is valid and useful?

My grandmother suffered from senile dementia and she was obese. It affects all kinds of people, and probably for all kinds of different reasons. If we can find out what some of these reasons are then we can all take steps to reduce our chances of being affected, whether it's by losing weight, stopping smoking, taking up exercise etc. Funnily enough these 3 seem to crop up as ways to reduce the dangers of pretty much everything. This does of course make them obvious subjects for research. :)

The difference in these scores are relatively low to begin with (9 v's 7) and these are only mean averages. The age groups varied massively over the 5 years (32 and 62) which would be (37-67) and a study of 2223 people (male/female)

None of this was linked to overall fitness - and its fair to say a person with a BMI 30 may be in the category of 'fat fit' and BMI 20 (Slim-unfit)

There was no divison between males and females either...or general state of health.

There was four tests done and presumably only one (memory recall) has the BMI factored into it.

“This slight improvement may be due to the relatively young age of the participants, who likely had a low incidence of cognitive decline over five years,” said Cournot. “The improvement could also be due to an increased familiarization with the tests at follow-up.”

Its not that these statistics arent required in the long run but these get published very very quickly and ruled as fact. Very quickly.

I aint a statistican or i would be loaded but it was part of my course at Trinity and good reading material is 'how to lie with statistics' by Darell Duff

Now dont get me wrong here, i just find that certain things are not really based on anything but pseudo-guessing...and posed as fact

I am all for getting these problems of life and suffering gone and getting to the bottom of it all...

Maybe its not necessarily the 'usual suspects' of smoking, weight and alcohol and something that completely overlooked...

Ivy

Last edited:
In fairness to the researchers this is not the only study of its type - in fact there have been hundreds of studies that have examined the potential links between obesity and brain function. It's just that this is the most recently published one. Here's one from last year:

Obesity in middle age and future risk of dementia: a 27 year longitudinal population based study -- Whitmer et al., 10.1136/bmj.38446.466238.E0 -- BMJ

'how to lie with statistics' by Darell Duff

Got that on my bookshelf :)

In fairness to the researchers this is not the only study of its type - in fact there have been hundreds of studies that have examined the potential links between obesity and brain function. It's just that this is the most recently published one. Here's one from last year:

Obesity in middle age and future risk of dementia: a 27 year longitudinal population based study -- Whitmer et al., 10.1136/bmj.38446.466238.E0 -- BMJ

Got that on my bookshelf :)

Me too - its great lil book!

Ah sure i know girl, millions of studies...no real clean results...but then such is life... its an old grey area...

Sure smoking used to be recommended by Doctors to calm nerves and amphetimes was used to suppress appetite...

Its all swings and roundabouts.

What gets my goat is that pratically everything is bad for us...and i mean literally anything will have some form of study to show how its a potential danger...we just gotta make up our minds what works for us as individuals and go from there

Ivy

What gets my goat is that pratically everything is bad for us...and i mean literally anything will have some form of study to show how its a potential danger...we just gotta make up our minds what works for us as individuals and go from there

Ivy

I agree, Ivy!!

And as far as I'm concerned - when I was 19 1/2 stone, it was becoming a mother that turned my brain to mush - not my excess fat! :eek:

I agree, Ivy!!

And as far as I'm concerned - when I was 19 1/2 stone, it was becoming a mother that turned my brain to mush - not my excess fat! :eek:

Mush - haha

I find work is making me worse and dopey - am as sharp as a tack on me holidays!

Ivy

Back