Linseed?

Jaycey

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
I went to my mum's this weekend, and took my CD stuff with me as usual. My mum suffers from diverticulitis and her consultant has recommended that she takes linseed, which she puts on her porridge every day. She says it's really nice!

So I thought I'd try a bit with my CD porridge - just one spoonful to try. It was really good actually - a little bit of thickening and a nice nutty flavour once it's all blended, and I assume it's doing me good too! :)

The thing is of course - is linseed actually allowed on CD? (Or does it have stuff in it which we're not meant to eat?) I hope we can have it, it really livened up my porridge! :eek: (And I'm not quite ready to try psyllium husks - all the 'frogspawn' references put me off a bit! :D)

I suspect it's not allowed on CD as linseeds are quite high in (good) fats. I used to have ground linseeds in my porridge every morning and will continue to do so once i have lost the weight but I suspect eating it now will push your calories up too much...

I'm only on day 4 though so by no means a CD expert :)

That's interesting though, Alli - I'm sure a CDC will come along and confirm what you say. (I don't think I knew there were fats in linseed, you just kind of assume that these things are OK - wrong again! :sigh:)

It might be OK for me as I'm so near my target weight, but I'd like to hear the 'official' line on this. :)

I had wondered the same thing when I first started CD, but my CDC said that her husband used to have linseeds when he was on the induction phase of the Atkins diet, so I take it they are ok. I have them anyway as they help me with constipation.

I've just checked my packet at home and linseeds have 46.2% fat.

It is low in carb though, but I'm guessing it's too high in fat to be allowed. :confused:

I've just checked my packet at home and linseeds have 46.2% fat.

It is low in carb though, but I'm guessing it's too high in fat to be allowed. :confused:
Blimey, that's loads of fat! :eek: I'm really surprised! I will leave it until I speak to my CDC (on Wednesday now as I didn't go last night) or until another CDC pops up on here and tells me I can't have it! :sigh:

I've just checked my pack at home and it says that for 100g it has 32.7g of fat. I have slightly less than a tbsp a day-so that's less than 12g. As far as I'm concerned I can either be constipated or take linseeds and I know which one I choose. I can't see why it would be allowed in the induction of Atkins otherwise. It certainly hasn't stopped me losing weight.

I must say I am tempted, Sparkles - it made my porridge really nice! :)

Back