LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Hi Prof LJ! I've been thinking about ur question on the science behind EE - don't know that much - when I was a consultant EE hadn't been discovered but here's a bit more on the concept of Red/Green which will apply to EE I shd think - pls don't take this as 100% my grey cells aren't what they were!

When I had my class - all consultants were advised that any questions on nutrition which cdn't be answered shd be referred to the head of SW Nutrition team Dr Jacquie Lavin - just checked the site and she's still there (so she must have been there over 10 years) when I referred the few qs I sent to HQ - there was always a quick, concise response in plain English!

The history of SW as I understand it - is that the found Margaret ? wanted to devise a healthy eating prog which after reaching goal cd be followed for life by adding HEs rather than too may syns for the lifelong maintenance period.

So all avenues were explored inc lots of theories - again my best recall is that the findings they decided to base the plan on were:

1. to devise a plan which met the calorie req'ments to lose and maintain weight - but without the hassle of counting each morsel.
2. to include the satiety and satiation concept as I mentioned earlier - just looked in the book with all free/superfree/syns info and they call the s & s - filling power and satisfying power on p5 of my version.
3. to follow the approved healthy eating guidelines and to update these as appropriate
4. to encourage members to move more and to develop an exercise model which cd be adopted by all members but this wd not be compulsory.

When I was a consultant we were always advised to encourage body magic but that although exercise was healthy and desirable, toned the body etc it was the reduced calorie intake was the major contributor to weight loss.

I think it takes something like a reduction 3,500 cals to lose a lb whilst walking a mile at 2mph burns about 160 cals.

That's all I can think of now but if any other snippets come to mind - I'll pass them on. Do u buy the SW mag? When I used to buy them there was usually an article from Margaret or the Nutrition team
explaining the plan or new health developments etc.

Last edited:
Good evening!

Wow you have all been busy bees today!

LJ you seem back to full force :) that's good to see. Cheese scones! Anything that has cheese in the name or I fact is a winner for me!i will be trying those at the weekend, yummy. Glad your little yogurt friends survived their traumatic journey and unplanned stop over. Does it taste yummy? Or is it still brewing?

Mo well done on your weigh in! Very impressive during your stressful times, I would find it hard not to resort to take away any junk. So big well done! You are doing well with your swimming to. Hopefully me and LJ can start swimming when she moves back!

Upndown all very interesting stuff, you do educate us well :) it's good to have an ex leader on board! It is hard to understand how it all can work, as it's not like normal diets, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. When i do look at something I see syns lol then think eurgh that many! I think I'll save it for something else lol it is re training our brains!

Well busy busy day. I am working towards a promotion at work, my manager says I will be ready by June, when the next wave of them happen. So lots to get done and learn before then, he is more than happy to help me. Keeps me busy and not thinking about food lol if I'm bored at work I want to pick at things and eat!

Breakfast mango and yogurt

snack- mango (the bananas are a bit green to eat lol)

lunch - leek and potato soup (forgot how nice it is)

snack - grapes

Tea 100g pasta, pasta sauce (1.5 syns), sweetcorn, peppers, be good to yourself bacon rashers

pudding -chopped banana (the least green one lol) and natural yogurt and honey (2syns)

wow is that all the syns I've had today?? I go from one extreme to another lol but I don't feel I'm missing out.

P.s I went to my Grandmas tonight (LJs mother). I tried out her wobble board. It's very strange lol it's not like the one that used to be at the gym, it's like a platform you stand on either side of this board.. Then switch it on, it kind of tips you fast from side to side lol she said your supposed to relax on it.. But I was a bit scared to incase i tipped off lol! I can see it would be good for your stomach muscles and legs.

Hi Everyone - hope u've had a good day - read a post of coughdrops today but not seen anything by fat2go - hope all is well?

Here's today's food:

b'fast: boiled egg, 1 Ryvita (part of HE-B), apple & orange (2/3 free)

lunch: 3 Ryvita (make up the HE-B) ham, Laughing Cow Light (part He-A)
toms, peppers, apple (2/3 free)

tea: lamb steak, mangetout, broccoli, petit pois, s.corn (2/3 free) sweet chilli sauce (1 syn?) Thank u Aldi for ur bargain veg!!

Snacks: fruit sweet (1 syn) SW cheesecake 2.5 syns I think! (will post later if anyone wants it - delish - hubby thought so too!)

Drinks: Fruit tea, water, 1 cup of tea ss milk part of HE-A

Total syns - 3.5 but have I forgotten something?

Thank you for taking the time to write all that, upndown. It's very interesting. If I could give you a double like for it I would!

Yes I do buy the magazine and usually eventually read it all. Haven't yet read any if the current one though. I will make a point of looking out for the article you mentioned.

I admire the people who devised this plan because they really have got it right. I didn't realise how much scientific reasoning there is behind it but I am glad that is the case. I am always reading and researching health aspects and the only thing I feel a little doubtful about is whether this plan contains enough fats for us to get all the fat soluble vitamins we need to be healthy. Or perhaps I should do green days on the days when I eat no meat? Does that work out better?

When I was in the throes of my stomach pain episode I became extremely lethargic and tired. I was in bed by 8pm exhausted most nights. Then I read that taking antacids long term (which I had been) and having ulcers or gastritis means your digestive system has trouble absorbing the B vitamins, and that results in those symptoms. The next day I started taking Berocca and I quickly felt better. I assume from the extra vitamin B. My system may not be working as well as it should when it comes to digesting and absorbing the nutrients from the food I eat. I am continuing the Berocca for the time being.

wow you really do have some very interesting posts on this thread. I find reading them fascinating. Thank you for all the encouragement too. Im really sleepy tonight but Im finding it difficult to sleep through at present so Im not rushing to bed.

wow you really do have some very interesting posts on this thread. I find reading them fascinating. Thank you for all the encouragement too. Im really sleepy tonight but Im finding it difficult to sleep through at present so Im not rushing to bed.

I find it hard to sleep when I have lots of things to think about. You must be packing and making lists in your head!

Thank you for taking the time to write all that, upndown. It's very interesting. If I could give you a double like for it I would!

Yes I do buy the magazine and usually eventually read it all. Haven't yet read any if the current one though. I will make a point of looking out for the article you mentioned.

I admire the people who devised this plan because they really have got it right. I didn't realise how much scientific reasoning there is behind it but I am glad that is the case. I am always reading and researching health aspects and the only thing I feel a little doubtful about is whether this plan contains enough fats for us to get all the fat soluble vitamins we need to be healthy. Or perhaps I should do green days on the days when I eat no meat? Does that work out better?

When I was in the throes of my stomach pain episode I became extremely lethargic and tired. I was in bed by 8pm exhausted most nights. Then I read that taking antacids long term (which I had been) and having ulcers or gastritis means your digestive system has trouble absorbing the B vitamins, and that results in those symptoms. The next day I started taking Berocca and I quickly felt better. I assume from the extra vitamin B. My system may not be working as well as it should when it comes to digesting and absorbing the nutrients from the food I eat. I am continuing the Berocca for the time being.

It is good that you have found what was making you tired, the limited food you could eat must have had an effect to. So sounds like your extra vitamins are doing the trick! You have healed yourself, and quickly!

yes thats exactly what Im doing lol I move furniture , pack boxes, plan , its hopeless. its hardly any wonder i feel half asleep during the day

It is good that you have found what was making you tired, the limited food you could eat must have had an effect to. So sounds like your extra vitamins are doing the trick! You have healed yourself, and quickly!
My 'like' brought up and error message so here's an unofficial version LIKE :rolleyes:

CJ and upndown, your food looks really good today. Upndown, i see you are doing another week of SE? How are you finding it? Are meals with 2/3 superfree as appetising as normal?

Yes still doing SE but not sure for how long - I think I'll just take each day as it comes - going out for lunch 2moro so will stay on plan but not sure which one! SE suits me - I like fruit and veg so 2/3 not a prob and yes I find the meals appetising. Think I shd do more green days too.

U can also have up to 4 HEs which I like and up to 5-15 syns but I think the change is good for me too - so will ring the changes - I feel more confident to switch things around now that I'm in the groove!

You've done so well healing urself Prof - I think it's important to 'listen' to our bodies - they tell us what they need sometimes (with a little help from Google!)

I've not considered the fat issue before - probably because I usually eat enough/too much! But that's interesting - I think SW wd say that if we have a balanced and varied SW eating plan - we shd have all the fats we need - but during those times when ppl are trying to eat the minimum to maiximise their losses - I suppose there's a risk that they may miss out on nutrients partic fat.

Fish provides oils not sure if that counts as fat nutrition wise? I keep saying I shd eat more fish but not keen so don't eat enough - hubby and I take fish oil supplements.

I think I have a couple of old SW mags somewhere - will re-read them when I get a chance and see if I can find out more about nutrition - I think it's important for everyone but esp as we get older!

P.s I went to my Grandmas tonight (LJs mother). I tried out her wobble board. It's very strange lol it's not like the one that used to be at the gym, it's like a platform you stand on either side of this board.. Then switch it on, it kind of tips you fast from side to side lol she said your supposed to relax on it.. But I was a bit scared to incase i tipped off lol! I can see it would be good for your stomach muscles and legs.

Gosh - hope she has thick carpets for a soft landing!

Good evening!

Wow you have all been busy bees today!

LJ you seem back to full force :) that's good to see. Cheese scones! Anything that has cheese in the name or I fact is a winner for me!i will be trying those at the weekend, yummy. Glad your little yogurt friends survived their traumatic journey and unplanned stop over. Does it taste yummy? Or is it still brewing?

Mo well done on your weigh in! Very impressive during your stressful times, I would find it hard not to resort to take away any junk. So big well done! You are doing well with your swimming to. Hopefully me and LJ can start swimming when she moves back!

Upndown all very interesting stuff, you do educate us well :) it's good to have an ex leader on board! It is hard to understand how it all can work, as it's not like normal diets, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything. When i do look at something I see syns lol then think eurgh that many! I think I'll save it for something else lol it is re training our brains!

Well busy busy day. I am working towards a promotion at work, my manager says I will be ready by June, when the next wave of them happen. So lots to get done and learn before then, he is more than happy to help me. Keeps me busy and not thinking about food lol if I'm bored at work I want to pick at things and eat!

Breakfast mango and yogurt

snack- mango (the bananas are a bit green to eat lol)

lunch - leek and potato soup (forgot how nice it is)

snack - grapes

Tea 100g pasta, pasta sauce (1.5 syns), sweetcorn, peppers, be good to yourself bacon rashers

pudding -chopped banana (the least green one lol) and natural yogurt and honey (2syns)

wow is that all the syns I've had today?? I go from one extreme to another lol but I don't feel I'm missing out.

Love ur description of the kefit movements!

It's late - I'm not hungry but drooled over ur food - bought some Aldi leeks and potatoes today so think I'll do a soup 2moro + LJ's cheese scones mmmmm!

I know what u mean about syns - I've only had a few today (after yesterday's bumper crop!) but I feel really full.

I think I'm moving into another phase with SW - not sure what I'd call it but I'm more flexible, less focussed on syns and trying new things.

I seem more determined and feeling I WILL get to goal not IF I get there - maintenance doesn't seem to phase me now either (get me when I have 1.5 stone to lose!)

Like that there's always something new to learn on SW and I'm learning lots here thanks to u all.

I looked up smash and it's free. Low fat cottage cheese and eggs are free too so these amazing scones are FREE!!

Liking the idea of the parmesan topping. :)

If it wasn't so late - I'd make them right now!

Back