LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Good morning everybody. How are we all today? The rain is pouring here and the wind is strong. Im in the warm thinking do I really want to swimthis morning?............ But yes I do so I will dress and go shortly. Im feeling anxious again today so the swim will do me good. Those cheese scones sound lovely. I think smash is amazing. I thought it was great when I made the pizzas with it but cheese scones as well!!! Well have a good day everyone.

Morning peeps! I have the afternoon off again. Yay!

All this talk of leek and potato soup. I bought the ingredients myself so I think I will make some this afternoon. It's my favourite soup so far. I am looking forward to trying a cheese scone with my lunch today. I tell you what, that scone I ate yesterday filled me up so much that I didnt really want my dinner. I ate dinner because I knew I should but I could easily have gone without. I don't think there is any chance of the scones doing any harm to our food intake. In fact cheese scones could be the new scanbran cake!

Good morning everybody. How are we all today? The rain is pouring here and the wind is strong. Im in the warm thinking do I really want to swimthis morning?............ But yes I do so I will dress and go shortly. Im feeling anxious again today so the swim will do me good. Those cheese scones sound lovely. I think smash is amazing. I thought it was great when I made the pizzas with it but cheese scones as well!!! Well have a good day everyone.

Hi - I'm feeling bright and breezy thanks - sorry ur weather's not good but think the forecast said we'll all being having better weather and cold clear nights - blue sky here so hope it's on it's way to you!

Glad ur going to do battle with the weather and go for a swim - more body magic too!

Yes really looking forward to the scones - not tried the pizza - another one on the to do list!

Have a good swim and keep warm!

Morning peeps! I have the afternoon off again. Yay!

All this talk of leek and potato soup. I bought the ingredients myself so I think I will make some this afternoon. It's my favourite soup so far. I am looking forward to trying a cheese scone with my lunch today. I tell you what, that scone I ate yesterday filled me up so much that I didnt really want my dinner. I ate dinner because I knew I should but I could easily have gone without. I don't think there is any chance of the scones doing any harm to our food intake. In fact cheese scones could be the new scanbran cake!

Yes Smash may become the next superfood! Sales will go smashing thro the roof just with our thread - I know that's too corny!

Off to me my ex colleagues for lunch - they're v kind to ask me esp as half of them are half my age!!

Then a SW cookathon, quorn chilli, the famous scones and yes the equally well known potato & leek soup!

Hope everyone has a good day on plan - the thought of reporting back on the day will help me make sensible menu choice at lunch! May go for a walk cos lunch is near a marina with a coastal path - it's lovely and sunny but v cool - so will wrap up!

It's cloudy here but bright, so not too bad. Keep up the run of morning swims, Mo. Think how pleased you are going to be with the results next weigh in. It will help a lot!

I haven't tried smash pizza yet. After the success with the scones I might try it because I love pizza and haven't had it since starting SW. When CJ and I were on the Atkins diet I tried making pizza base with grated cauliflower. Didn't really fill the spot I have to say. I think smash would have a much better texture, more like the real thing.

Hope your day is going well. Have a great afternoon. Doing any cooking? :)

Reading all your posts always makes my mouth water thinking about the lovely food. I hope the cookathons go well. I battled the elements to go swimming and when I came out...... it had stopped raining, the sky was blue and sunshine!! Lovely. I did my usual 82 lengths then a couple of little jobs on the way home. Im out again this afternoon but could quite happily have a nap. Hope you had a great time at lunch Upndown.

Woo Woo just noticed LJ's thread just got 1000 'likes'!!

Evening all!

How is everyone's day? Sounds like Mo has been busy swimming and LJ and Upndown have been busy bees in the kitchen! I bought the things tonight to make some of these cheese scones! Can't wait to try them!

I feel tired today, it's been a busy week, early starts. I am looking forward to a lie in tomorrow! I forgot to mention yesterday I did a 1/2 mile walk on my lunch and the same again today. So that's miles! Yay I need to put my 100 mile challenge in my signature. I will get on the treadmill over the weekend, although it's supposed to be lovely weather so may go out for a walk.

Leek and potato soup is yummy! I still have a few portions in the freezer. Might have that for lunch tomorrow with a cheese scone! Hehe

So food today..

Breakfast a bit of mango while I chopped it up and grapes.

Snack mango (the rest of it)

Lunch jacket potato, beans and cheese (hexa). I didn't take any toppings so had canteen portions, but asked for a small amount of cheese so it should be within my hexa portion.

Snack banana

Tea chicken, fried tinned potatoes with garlic, salad leaves, cucumber and some beans.

omg I've had no syns?!! I'm racking my brain now thinking I must have forgotten something... Hmm. Well I have a bar of caramac in the cupboard hehehe 8 syns.

ive not drank as much today, only about 1L at work. So much try and drink more tonight. I can tell I haven't drank enough I've got a bit of a headache.

Hello again. wow CJ thats a lot of exercise! well I made broccoli soup and had 3 bowls!! But I forgot the potato. I ended up with a large amount of brocoli, a large carrot and a very large onion. I put in garlic, fresh ginger, chilli, a herb infusion pot and a chicken stock pot and two laughing cow blue triangles. When it was cooked I blitzed it. I eaten three bowls which is amazing since Im not the greatest broccoli fan lol lol.

Evening all!

How is everyone's day? Sounds like Mo has been busy swimming and LJ and Upndown have been busy bees in the kitchen! I bought the things tonight to make some of these cheese scones! Can't wait to try them!

I feel tired today, it's been a busy week, early starts. I am looking forward to a lie in tomorrow! I forgot to mention yesterday I did a 1/2 mile walk on my lunch and the same again today. So that's miles! Yay I need to put my 100 mile challenge in my signature. I will get on the treadmill over the weekend, although it's supposed to be lovely weather so may go out for a walk.

Leek and potato soup is yummy! I still have a few portions in the freezer. Might have that for lunch tomorrow with a cheese scone! Hehe

So food today..

Breakfast a bit of mango while I chopped it up and grapes.

Snack mango (the rest of it)

Lunch jacket potato, beans and cheese (hexa). I didn't take any toppings so had canteen portions, but asked for a small amount of cheese so it should be within my hexa portion.

Snack banana

Tea chicken, fried tinned potatoes with garlic, salad leaves, cucumber and some beans.

omg I've had no syns?!! I'm racking my brain now thinking I must have forgotten something... Hmm. Well I have a bar of caramac in the cupboard hehehe 8 syns.

ive not drank as much today, only about 1L at work. So much try and drink more tonight. I can tell I haven't drank enough I've got a bit of a headache.

Firstly - I keep forgetting to say well done on ur forthcoming promotion - I'm sure ur manager wdn't have mentioned it if it's not a certainty!

Good job on the walking too - wdn't it be lovely to have a good weather wkend?

I love mangoes but whenever I buy them they're unripe - so I wait until I think they're ready (by touch/poke!) but they're always either still too hard to cut properly/eat or overripe and I make a hash of cutting it - how do you manage?

Hmmmmm my day - well intentions and all that! I went out for lunch and it was lovely to see my ex colleagues and chose a tasting board of pulled pork and chicken on sticks with a sweet chilli dip with bread (my clumsy wording!) from the 'Light Menu' - it seemed the lowest calorie thing there - and a few of the girls chose it for dieting purposes!

BUT when it arrived - the meat was in a 'light' batter (3 portions of each meat - in just smaller than golf ball size portions) served with 3 v small slices of bread topped with melted grated cheese - looked like a HEB and HEA!! :eek:

BUT how do I syn the ball things? I left one :clap:

Didn't get the walk in either as by the time we'd eaten the weather had changed - the wind was up and seemed colder.

So haven't made the scones to save on syns - so didn't make the soup cos didn't fancy it without the scone and didn't make the chilli either to keep cals down - so hubby had fish fingers, chips and peas for tea, to make up for that I gave him some SW cheesecake (I didn't have any) and a bit of cheese and crackers - put a few grapes on to make it look better! He's not fussed about food - so I'm lucky!

I know I'm being a drama queen but I'm cross I didn't check what it was! By the way it was delicious! I'll post my food later.

Hello again. wow CJ thats a lot of exercise! well I made broccoli soup and had 3 bowls!! But I forgot the potato. I ended up with a large amount of brocoli, a large carrot and a very large onion. I put in garlic, fresh ginger, chilli, a herb infusion pot and a chicken stock pot and two laughing cow blue triangles. When it was cooked I blitzed it. I eaten three bowls which is amazing since Im not the greatest broccoli fan lol lol.

Ooooh that sounds delicious - isn't it great what we can eat on SW? Hope you've had a good day - are u going to starting posting ur diary here - no pressure!!

Hehe cookathon for us both this afternoon then! The smell of leek and potato soup will be wafting across the country. :)

How was the lunch, upndown? Did you manage to find foods that let you stay on plan?

Hi - a good day but didn't cook at all - I've just posted the longest post in history on the reasons why!! will have my cookathon 2moro!

Last edited:
Hi - hope you've all had a good day and that the weather turns out as well as forecasts - here's my grub today:

b'fast: 35g muesli, fat free greek yog, 2/3 berries

the offending lunch: 3 'balls' of pulled pork & 3 of chicken in 'light' batter - not sure how to syn? answers on a postcard please! 3 v mall slices of bread with small amount of grated cheese HEB + HEA??

tea - wasn't hungry so had berries and yog combo again - will try to stick to fruit if I eat anything else!

Drinks - fruit tea, 1 coffee, diet drinks, water.

oooh Upndown your lunch sounded delcious!! Im a bit embarrased about my food at present as the foremost criteria is not to eat fat because of the orlistat so at times it doesnt match SW. For example today, breakfast 2 sluces of toast ,one with laughing cow very light and one with flora lighter than light barely scraped on. Lunch ham sandwich. Tea 3 bowls of broccoli soup with 2 slces of bread and I will have a piece of fruit later (grapes or melon). Therefore 6 slices of brown bread from small loaf loaf chosen for lowest fat value per slice.

LJ - I've had a few more thoughts on SW principles - not really enlightening but as u asked.....

1. To eat only as much as we need to feel satisfied - on the basis that SW didn't want to be prescriptive on portion size for at least 2 reasons:

(i) that a 20 stone person will require a higher daily intake than a person half their size.
(ii) SW was devised to avoid the tedious weighing, measuring and counting every bite we eat.

I may have mentioned my prob b4 - that when I eat I don't feel satisfied until I have had a hot drink - then I usually feel full - so that's one that comes over time I guess - don't know if everyone feels the same?

2. In order to reduce the calories without counting - SW created different food 'groups' as we're familiar with:

Speed, Superspeed, Healthy Extras, Syns with 'sub groups' fibre - f & ff, calcium - c & cc, healthy - h & hh.

All cleverly designed to reduce calorie intake (as LJ has discovered via her new 'toy'!) whilst ensuring that members eat healthily and get all the nutrients they need.

Having typed that I'm going to check the book and see whether I'm getting my fair share of f, h and c!

oooh Upndown your lunch sounded delcious!! Im a bit embarrased about my food at present as the foremost criteria is not to eat fat because of the orlistat so at times it doesnt match SW. For example today, breakfast 2 sluces of toast ,one with laughing cow very light and one with flora lighter than light barely scraped on. Lunch ham sandwich. Tea 3 bowls of broccoli soup with 2 slces of bread and I will have a piece of fruit later (grapes or melon). Therefore 6 slices of brown bread from small loaf loaf chosen for lowest fat value per slice.

Hey please don't feel embarrassed about ur food we're all in it together here - my lunch today was a one off for a start!

I don't want to sound patronising but your day looks very light to me - if you class it as a Red day - when u can have 4 healthy extras (2 A & 2B) you seem to have had well under 10 syns.

The Green days are similar - allowing us to have 4 H Extras too.

And we all have different tastes and circumstances - like my giving Phil fish fingers for tea tonight (while I had berries and yog!) after he's had a hard day at the office - I can hear him now - snoring on the sofa in the next room!

Now I WOULD be embarrassed, if not ashamed to post was I was eating before I joined here - all I'll reveal is that everything was liberally mixed with chocolate!

I love LJ's thread cos it's friendly, honest, supportive and non judgemental and LJ's more than happy for us to open up about our eating and will praise and support us whatever we eat!!

On reflection today was probably the worst day.. Yesterday i had 2 toast for breakfast. lunch 2 slices ham with 2 rice cakes. Tea, trout, rice peas. snack cherries

Firstly - I keep forgetting to say well done on ur forthcoming promotion - I'm sure ur manager wdn't have mentioned it if it's not a certainty!

Good job on the walking too - wdn't it be lovely to have a good weather wkend?

I love mangoes but whenever I buy them they're unripe - so I wait until I think they're ready (by touch/poke!) but they're always either still too hard to cut properly/eat or overripe and I make a hash of cutting it - how do you manage?

Hmmmmm my day - well intentions and all that! I went out for lunch and it was lovely to see my ex colleagues and chose a tasting board of pulled pork and chicken on sticks with a sweet chilli dip with bread (my clumsy wording!) from the 'Light Menu' - it seemed the lowest calorie thing there - and a few of the girls chose it for dieting purposes!

BUT when it arrived - the meat was in a 'light' batter (3 portions of each meat - in just smaller than golf ball size portions) served with 3 v small slices of bread topped with melted grated cheese - looked like a HEB and HEA!! :eek:

BUT how do I syn the ball things? I left one :clap:

Didn't get the walk in either as by the time we'd eaten the weather had changed - the wind was up and seemed colder.

So haven't made the scones to save on syns - so didn't make the soup cos didn't fancy it without the scone and didn't make the chilli either to keep cals down - so hubby had fish fingers, chips and peas for tea, to make up for that I gave him some SW cheesecake (I didn't have any) and a bit of cheese and crackers - put a few grapes on to make it look better! He's not fussed about food - so I'm lucky!

I know I'm being a drama queen but I'm cross I didn't check what it was! By the way it was delicious! I'll post my food later.

Thank you :) I have lots of things to do and prove in the next few months, but I've made a start!

Well I bought some mangos from asda, 3 for £1.75 which is good! I left them in the fridge for a day or 2. They did say ready to eat.. But I thought I'd leave them a little while. I usually give them a squeeze if they feel soft then I'll eat them, I don't like it when they are a bit hard still. They are slippery little things to cut. I peel them with a potato peeler, then chop one side as close to the seed as I can. Then turn it over so it's got a flat side and cut along the other side. Still messy and slimy business lol but I love mango I think it's my favourite fruit.. Well it's up there with black grapes and banana!

Oh dear.. I hate it when they don't describe things properly on menus. Especially these days when most people have allergies/intolerances for things. You did well to leave some! I'd like to think one day and one meal with maybe some hidden syns wouldn't cause damage on the scales. You are definitely on a roll now, I was just looking a t your stats 1st 5lbs is great! The rate you have been going the last week you will be down to the 10s in a few weeks! Exciting times ahead :)

Hey please don't feel embarrassed about ur food we're all in it together here - my lunch today was a one off for a start!

I don't want to sound patronising but your day looks very light to me - if you class it as a Red day - when u can have 4 healthy extras (2 A & 2B) you seem to have had well under 10 syns.

The Green days are similar - allowing us to have 4 H Extras too.

And we all have different tastes and circumstances - like my giving Phil fish fingers for tea tonight (while I had berries and yog!) after he's had a hard day at the office - I can hear him now - snoring on the sofa in the next room!

Now I WOULD be embarrassed, if not ashamed to post was I was eating before I joined here - all I'll reveal is that everything was liberally mixed with chocolate!

I love LJ's thread cos it's friendly, honest, supportive and non judgemental and LJ's more than happy for us to open up about our eating and will praise and support us whatever we eat!!

I agree! I would never have posted my meals before, for one it would of consisted of take aways, junk, chocolate, cakes. Etc.. We are now eating nice healthy, unprocessed food and it tastes so much better than any take away :)

Back